Sign in to follow this  
dirtywheel

ID MY NEW FIND PLEASE

dirtywheel

Serial number 49982

im guessing its a 59 rj, but??

any way to look this up without model number??

Buzz

Without pictures or a detailed description it's almost impossible to tell. Serial numbers aren't much help. Exactly what makes you think it's an RJ-59? :thumbs2:

dirtywheel

well im in the middle of downloading pics, but its a 4hp kohler mid engine...non vented grill......pics soon i promise

Gene_S

Sounds more like a serial number from 63 or 64 but like Buzz said serial number don't meen much, but wish they did. Where are you finding this ID number? If it is a RJ it would be on the frame close to the front left side of the tractor (left side as you are sitting on it). Not sure where they put the ID on the 60 and 61 models. Or is it under the steering wheel?

TJ

Looks like a '61, 401. :thumbs2: ( I love the edit feature).

bell

1961 401...

mowerman1193

I think I read a couple years ago that the RJ's have a straight front axle and the Suburbans have a V shape to them..Yours looks like it has the V shape to me..

HorseFixer

Jon is correct that looks like a 401 I have (3) 551's and the one in the pics doesn't look like it has a starter on it! And Besides the 401 has a Kohler and 551 has a Lauson soooo 401 it is cause that one has a Kohler! :thumbs2:

Coadster32

Bell hit it right on the head, a 1961 401 Suburban. Drop down front axle, 3 piece tranny wih plates, hood stand, casted clutch pedal, and pull knobs. There can only be one. (I have the 551, and the difference is very noticable). The 1960 suburban had lever controls on the hood. 1962 saw the end of the nut-roasters. If you can find a belt guard for it, you'll be paying $$. :thumbs2: Good luck.

BTW-your avatar is :thumbs:

Coadster32

WOW DUKE!! you even type faster than I do. :thumbs: You beat me to the punch in the same minute!! Slow down!! :thumbs2:

linen beige

Duke you missed the most obvious clue. The 551 was the ONLY mid engine with the newer style two piece transmission case.

dirtywheel

Thanks Guys...you have been a big help.......

HorseFixer

Duke you missed the most obvious clue. The 551 was the ONLY mid engine with the newer style two piece transmission case.

Gee Jim, the only reason I didn't mention it was I thought everyone knew that :thumbs: and it was pretty much a given :ychain: I kinda weaseled outta that one huh? :thumbs2: