Jack Orsi

Electrical problem 520xi

Jack Orsi

I am new here so please bear with me. When I start the tractor the charging light comes on and goes out.  If I engage the PTO the charging light doesn't come on but if I then engage the PTO, override switch the light comes on. Sometimes while mowing with the override on, the charging light will go out for a while and then come back on.  If I engage the cruise control while mowing and the charging light is off, it will come on.  If I twist the PTO switch slightly sometimes the charging light will go off momentarily if the cruise is not engaged.  Also there is a square terminal on the firewall with four wires connected to the male portion one black, two orange or red in the middle and a red or orange on the other side.  Sorry the colours ware somewhat faded.  If I wiggle the male portion or put some pressure on the the connection I can make the charging light go out temporarily but it comes back on.  I have separated the unit and checked that the connection between the male and female portions are in good contact.  If I have been mowing with the override on for an hour or more and I shut off the PTO, it can hesitate to reengage. Where do I begin in order to resolve this issue.

gwest_ca

Welcome to Red Square.

What is the model number and serial number of your tractor? The wiring changed after production started.

Garry

shallowwatersailor

The 520xi and all other gas 5xi models have a voltage module that illuminates the warning light on the dash. These are a known problem and have a high failure rate. But have nothing to do with the charging circuit. It only measures the voltage and indicates if the voltage is low. 

Check the voltage across the battery terminals with the tractor running. If it is 13.6v or greater, the module has gone bad and you can just ignore it. If the voltage is lower, then there is a problem with the charging circuit.

With regards to the PTO, check all the connections as they may have some corrosion.

• Like 1

Jack Orsi

Thanks guys.  Model #73542, Serial #240000176.  Tractor is stored inside so don't think there would be corrosion on the terminals but will check them.

gwest_ca

Here are the wiring diagrams

If you need to check a specific component let us know. There may be a file on it.

Garry

JoeM
2 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Check the voltage across the battery terminals with the tractor running. If it is 13.6v or greater, the module has gone bad and you can just ignore it. If the voltage is lower, then there is a problem with the charging circuit.

:text-yeahthat:

And the module is no longer available. I just removed the light bulb. 

• Like 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

I have a 520Xi as well, what a machine!  Be sure to check that front axle pivot... I didn’t realize how bad mine was until I jacked it up..

Jack Orsi

Just checked voltage over the terminals before starting 12+ and while running 13.3/4.  So I guess JoeM is right.  I will pull the bulb and forget about it. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Jack Orsi

Ops.  Well it is a charging problem.  Cutting grass for 2 hours then shut it off to get a drink.  Reluctant to start and not enough power to engage the PTO.  Battery was down to 10.2.

lynnmor
8 hours ago, Jack Orsi said:

Ops.  Well it is a charging problem.  Cutting grass for 2 hours then shut it off to get a drink.  Reluctant to start and not enough power to engage the PTO.  Battery was down to 10.2.

Apparently you have an intermittent disconnection or short to troubleshoot.  But first, charge the battery fully and take it to an auto parts store to have it tested.