Peggy

Help I have no idea why I've never been drawn to a tractor in my life but I saw this k181s wheel horse and had to have it. I have no clue if it even runs and I need advice and u gentlemen's wisdom please

Peggy

I don't even understand why I am so drawn to a tractor 😂 but I love it and had to have it. I want to make sure that I don't damage anything though so I haven't even tried to start it. Can someone please tell me what year it is or anything about it? And what I should do before attempting to start it. I thought it would be a good idea to change the oil and gas Before trying to start it but I don't even know how to do that. I need lots of advice. All I know is I paid 10$ for it and it has a snow plow attachment and a brush hog attachment for it. And it looks cool. I'm sorry I'm such an idiot but I really want to learn about it. I took some pictures of the id plate on it. So if someone would please help me I would be so greatful 

20210705_002802.jpg

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:

Presuming the engine is original to the tractor the "D" suffix in the Spec Number indicates it is a 1966 or later, perhaps a 856 or 857 model.

If you look under the dash board there should be a metal tag with the :wh: model number. 

:wwp:

Edited by 953 nut
  • Heart 1

rmaynard

:WRS:

The K181 engine was popular on many Wheel Horse tractors. How about posting some pictures of the Wheel Horse. We can give you more info.

• Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Heart 1

rjg854

:WRS:  more :text-coolphotos:  please  ;)

• Heart 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:  Peggy.        We have many members that will be happy to help you with your new project.     Posting pictures will help us evaulate the condition of your tractor and determine what needs to be done to get it running.       

• Heart 1

WHX??

:WRS: Peggy 

5 hours ago, Peggy said:

understand why I am so drawn to a tractor

Famous last words here!

Yes more pictures please. Plenty of talent here to tell you want you have and to help you get it running and enjoy it even more. 

My wife on her tractor. 

20200419_133155.jpg

• Heart 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: Peggy!  You can get lots of work accomplished with just 8 hp!  

• Heart 1

adsm08

More pictures please. We like pictures.

The K181 is a good stout engine, and about the only thing I know that kills them dead is low oil. Check the oil. There is a pipe plug, should have a square head, on the rear corner of the block to the right hand side (your right as you sit in the seat). That is the dipstick and the fill hole. Check the oil and if it is in the fill zone and in reasonably OK condition leave it for the time being. The oil will drain much easier and bring much more garbage out with it if you can run the engine for a few minutes to warm the oil up first.

The easiest way to drain the fuel is to just pull the line off the pump. The brake line looking bit in the picture you already gave us is the fuel line from the pump to the carb. If you follow the lower end of it straight across towards the right hand side of the tractor (again, as if you were sitting in the seat) there should be a rubber line. Yank it off and stick it in a bucket quick, that will drain the fuel system most of the way. Then spin the engine by hand a few times. The flywheel is on the left hand side of the tractor, and will spin clockwise as viewed from the left. A D suffix 181 should have an automatic compression release for easier starting, so you may or may not feel it hit a hard spot when spinning by hand because it is designed to dump some compression at low RPM by holding the exhaust valve open longer, to take load off the starter during cranking. Once it catches and comes up to idle speeds a set of weights on the crank change the exhaust valve timing so you have full compression back.

Once the fuel is drained inspect the inside of the tank, especially if it is metal. My 855 sat for 10 years with a nearly full tank. When I bought it the inside of the tank was coated with tar from the fuel sitting it in. I removed the tank, plugged the hole in the bottom, added a quart of near boiling water, a quart of purple power, and a foot of chain and shook it up, drained it. Did that a few times, now it's nice and clean.

For testing purposes you can take a length of hose and stick it in a gas can and attach it to the same fuel pump port I told you to pull the line from to drain the tank and use that as your fuel source to try starting.

• Heart 1

Peggy

Thank you guys so much and I will definitely go take some pictures to post. And I honestly really really appreciate every single bit of information because I know nothing about this except I love it and I am determined to restore it. So Thank you Thank you Thank you ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Peggy
16 hours ago, adsm08 said:

More pictures please. We like pictures.

The K181 is a good stout engine, and about the only thing I know that kills them dead is low oil. Check the oil. There is a pipe plug, should have a square head, on the rear corner of the block to the right hand side (your right as you sit in the seat). That is the dipstick and the fill hole. Check the oil and if it is in the fill zone and in reasonably OK condition leave it for the time being. The oil will drain much easier and bring much more garbage out with it if you can run the engine for a few minutes to warm the oil up first.

The easiest way to drain the fuel is to just pull the line off the pump. The brake line looking bit in the picture you already gave us is the fuel line from the pump to the carb. If you follow the lower end of it straight across towards the right hand side of the tractor (again, as if you were sitting in the seat) there should be a rubber line. Yank it off and stick it in a bucket quick, that will drain the fuel system most of the way. Then spin the engine by hand a few times. The flywheel is on the left hand side of the tractor, and will spin clockwise as viewed from the left. A D suffix 181 should have an automatic compression release for easier starting, so you may or may not feel it hit a hard spot when spinning by hand because it is designed to dump some compression at low RPM by holding the exhaust valve open longer, to take load off the starter during cranking. Once it catches and comes up to idle speeds a set of weights on the crank change the exhaust valve timing so you have full compression back.

Once the fuel is drained inspect the inside of the tank, especially if it is metal. My 855 sat for 10 years with a nearly full tank. When I bought it the inside of the tank was coated with tar from the fuel sitting it in. I removed the tank, plugged the hole in the bottom, added a quart of near boiling water, a quart of purple power, and a foot of chain and shook it up, drained it. Did that a few times, now it's nice and clean.

For testing purposes you can take a length of hose and stick it in a gas can and attach it to the same fuel pump port I told you to pull the line from to drain the tank and use that as your fuel source to try starting.

Thank you so much I need and really appreciate you sharing your wisdom and experience with me. It's very much needed. God bless you and pictures to come

Peggy

This is the best group ever😁 

• Thanks 2
  • Heart 1

WheelHorse520H
On 7/5/2021 at 2:43 AM, Peggy said:

All I know is I paid 10$ for it and it has a snow plow attachment and a brush hog attachment for it.

$10 you got a steal! :text-welcomeconfetti:

I don't even understand why I am so drawn to a tractor 😂 but I love it and had to have it.

That’s how many of us (including myself) got started here.

I agree with checking the oil and changing the gas. I would also check the spark plugs and just do a once over of the engine, all wires, the fuel lines, and just tell us what you see. As stated by many others :wwp:

But that is just my :twocents-twocents:.

• Heart 1

Peggy

Pics20210709_170549.jpg.112026cac09aff2066d40f16a88c514d.jpg20210709_170810.jpg.62cb513a70a9a23d87bd92e331e74b70.jpg20210709_170658_HDR.jpg.eaa79db5c9b8102d0bd50d83b2749920.jpg

20210709_170640.jpg

• Like 3

adsm08

Can't see the shifter/trans real clear, but it definitely looks to be an 85X or 87X, which are basically the same thing. The 5 would be a manual trans, the 7 a hydro/auto, and the X, the last digit that changes, will just be the year.

These are great tractors, and I love them. About two years ago my wife had been browsing Faciepages looking for a WH, really any WH, because she knew I liked them and wanted to replace our newer JD with one. She found something listed as a "Wheel Horse 855"  in "not running, has electrical problems" condition and told me to go get it if I wanted it. I pulled it out of 10 years of hibernating in a barn, cleaned the fuel tank exactly like I told you to do, put a new sediment bowl on it (the glass piece screwed to the bottom of the fuel tank), changed the oil, battery, and spark plug, and away we went. It's currently my oldest, and my primary working tractor. I mow with it in the summer, plow with it in the winter, and play with it all year long.

Edited by adsm08
  • Heart 1

Peggy

Pics20210709_170549.jpg.112026cac09aff2066d40f16a88c514d.jpg20210709_170810.jpg.62cb513a70a9a23d87bd92e331e74b70.jpg20210709_170658_HDR.jpg.eaa79db5c9b8102d0bd50d83b2749920.jpg

20210709_170810.jpg

20210709_170751_HDR.jpg

20210709_170640.jpg

Peggy

Not sure if that is better or not but here's a couple more pictures of it.

Gregor

Take a pic of, or post the numbers on this tag peg.jpg.e1ab3ba009a27e0368c851c700dda04f.jpg{in yellow box). It will say exactly what tractor you have.

• Like 2

adsm08

A good picture of the decal on the side of the hood too.

Mine are missing (someone had my tractor painted at some point I believe) but I think that decal is supposed to have the model number on it.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

adsm08
47 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Anything you can see that would definitely distinguish it from an 856 or 857?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

875089093_Screenshot_20210711-091832_SamsungInternet.jpg.1b03ec1d90910172c34c000be34d1be8.jpg

1139637425_Screenshot_20210711-091752_SamsungInternet.jpg.3900beb977ab3601f41ca8b2b630a46b.jpg

276215798_Screenshot_20210711-091732_SamsungInternet.jpg.7998cd399d21ed6287bdd78506a98450.jpg

WheelHorse520H
7 hours ago, Peggy said:

image.jpeg.2e6cec3bc4b0f64d8273dd7026f72802.jpeg

Looking at this picture, you can see it had plow on it. The blade is missing but that piece that sticks out is the frame for a plow. If you are in the seat, the handle on the right would control the angle. The handle on the left would control the height. Looks like your tires are holding air, that is always a plus, changing them without a machine is a “fun” chore.

Edited by WheelHorse520H
  • Like 1

Ifixoldjunk

I don't even understand why I am so drawn to a tractor 😂 but I love it and had to have it. I want to make sure that I don't damage anything though so I haven't even tried to start it. Can someone please tell me what year it is or anything about it? And what I should do before attempting to start it. I thought it would be a good idea to change the oil and gas Before trying to start it but I don't even know how to do that. I need lots of advice. All I know is I paid 10$ for it and it has a snow plow attachment and a brush hog attachment for it. And it looks cool. I'm sorry I'm such an idiot but I really want to learn about it. I took some pictures of the id plate on it. So if someone would please help me I would be so greatful 

20210705_002802.jpg

I'd just start by checking the oil, other than that it should be safe to start. probably needs a battery.

after that I'd check what kind of shape the belts are in and see what the transmission fluid looks like.

Chances are if its been sitting with fuel in it you'll have to clean the carburetor to get it to go. Also getting rid of the old fuel will help it out some.

Just remember, youtube is your friend when it comes to things like this.

Edited by Ifixoldjunk
  • Like 1

WheelHorse520H
15 minutes ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

Just remember, youtube is your friend when it comes to things like this.

Aaaahhhh YouTube. That and reading other people’s threads on here about the issues they had with their tractors was how I got mine running after it sat for 5 years. That was before I made an account though. @Ifixoldjunk is right, there are a lot of helpful videos out there on the inter webs.

• Like 2