jonw440

Kohler CV-15 Govenor and cable help

jonw440

We just got back from our Son In Law(and Grandson) the 1999 Wheel Horse Toro 265H we bought for him AND REBUILT it  4 years ago.

He stopped using it because it wouldn't start and bought a new Cub Cadet (at the dismay of BOTH of my Grandsons! 4 and 7 yrs old) so I brought it back hoe to get it running again for our Son who just bought his first house and this tractor has the bagging system and it's better then the TROY-BILT PONY tractor he currently has (with NO bagger) He has 3 Acres.

I replaced the fuel pump and it started right up but ran like crap. It would skip and blow black smoke after a few minutes at full speed. When I put the mower on it instantly die down and ship and blow back smoke.

I rebuilt the carb, blew out the fuel line, replaced the petcock and put new gas in the tank.

I noticed the governor spring was loose so I tried to adjust the governor. That made the engine not rev past idle. So I tried adjusting the choke and throttle cables and that made it go full throttle with no change in RPM from the throttle lever.

I am picking up a new governor spring tomorrow and want to reset everything back to speck. I have the manual but it is not very clear how to adjust the governor (Cant find "hole in governor shaft")

Also re setting the choke and throttle cables are confusing. ie I push the throttle to FULL and loosen the clamp on the motor do I pull the metal cable or plastic covering to full travel?

The same question for the choke cable.

Sorry for the questions but I want to give this tractor to my Son who just bought a house

Thank you!

Edited by jonw440

jonw440

Anybody?

oliver2-44

@jonw440Not a lot of experience here with the toro vertical shaft tractors.  I have a Kohler CV15 in another color tractor and like you I find their choke and throttle adjustment confusing. Their are some you-tube videos on the subject that might help you.

Edited by oliver2-44

jonw440

Pulled the engine out and found the governor retaining pin was sitting in the bottom of the engine.

Put it back in the governor and all is well!