rmaynard

Inflatable Paint Booth

rmaynard

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with an inflatable paint booth similar to the one shown?

booth.jpg.7fcbe9af06576a8b43348009b4ae7c22.jpg

• Like 4

Pullstart

It’s like an adult bounce house... with no bounce!  Cool concept!

• Haha 6

ranger
22 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with an inflatable paint booth similar to the one shown?

booth.jpg.7fcbe9af06576a8b43348009b4ae7c22.jpg

Nice idea, but you don’t want to have a power cut/outage just after applying the final coat of black on the roof of your Show Car! 😢 It would be bad enough having the compressor stop, the lights go out, but to have the building collapse onto your fresh paint***********

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

rmaynard

That's always a question that is asked. Some guys build a cheap PVC frame to hold it up just for that reason. Others run the blowers with a generator. In my area power failures are rare. I would be inclined to try the PVC method. That would also allow me to hang additional lighting.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

My brother has talked about getting one in the future to paint his 55 Chevy pickup.

• Like 2

WHX??

Yes interesting idea. Hang  parts on a rolling cart and move to shop safe area after painting. 

Edited by WHX24
Gramma
  • Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

... with no bounce!

:eusa-think: perhaps bounce should be avoided for a bit anyway!

• Haha 4

BHunter

I know they have really good airflow. I used one 20 years ago when i was working for a mobile painting company. We set it up in the back lot of the car dealerships and sprayed small jobs. We used a generator to power it. 

They sell indoor and  outdoor models. Make sure you get the right one for what you are doing. 
Id like to see how these new booths compare to the old one I used. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

squonk

Wait until your wife is done with her plastic walled greenhouse. INSTANT PAINT BOOTH ! 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Achto
1 hour ago, ranger said:

Nice idea, but you don’t want to have a power cut/outage just after applying the final coat of black on the roof of your Show Car!

In this demo video the guys breaker tripped causing the incident you speak of.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

That sure puts the size into perspective!

WHX??

The whole time I'm lookin at these I'm thinkin no overspray in the shop. Even the smallest one would be ok for what we do. I wouldn't worry about the blowers goin out less I had a big old bowl of DF fer breakfast. 

rmaynard

Yeah, I'm looking at the 13 x 10 x 8. Big enough for any WH project I'd be doing 

• Like 3

WHX??

Here's another idea. Maybe for small parts? 

RJ Hamner

Does this make the "Magic Shed" obsolete?  Or, are they going to be side by side?:huh:

Just asking for a friend:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

Interesting idea. Hadn't heard of one of these until now.

rmaynard
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Here's another idea. Maybe for small parts? 

Unfortunately, bugs can still fly in.

rmaynard

Another concern that I have is about setting up inside of a building. Since the air filtration is done by putting positive pressure on the inside of the booth with the filtration fan. All paint fumes are exited through the window/side filters. Once exited, the fumes are now inside of a closed building causing those fumes to build up and be recycled back into the booth if not exited from the building by an exhaust fan large enough to change the air frequently. This would be especially bad if you are using paints with isocyanates. Having thought about this, I don't think that I would be using the booth anywhere but outside, and away from anywhere that humans would be able to breath the exhausted fumes. Fresh air face masks seem like a necessity as well.

This could get expensive. $$$ :eusa-hand:$$$

Edited by rmaynard

pfrederi

Deflating it rolling it up and finding a place to store it look like significant issues...

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Sounds like a big PITA to deal with Bob.

Like the control issues with repainting a tractor aren't enough.  :dunno:

• Like 1

rmaynard
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

Sounds like a big PITA to deal with Bob.

Like the control issues with repainting a tractor aren't enough.  :dunno:

You are right about that. Many things to consider. 

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@MaynardBob my brother bought one (a big so and so ) and I am going over Saturday to help with the first time set up. Hope to take pictures , he said it is 39 feet long will  let you know how it goes.  

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Spent a fun (?) day at my brother's with the inflatable paint booth today. Outside dimensions are 39 and a 1/2 feet long , 16 feet wide and  13 feet tall. Comes with 2 blowers , one to inflate and one to move air inside( both were made on the cheap. Directions leave a lot not printed . Took about 25 minutes to inflate after we figured out that there were 4 areas that needed to be zipped up and then sealed with the Velcro flaps . Took 4 people to set up . a learning experience for sure.   Even came with a bag for storage , no way would it ever go back in the bag . When we deflated and let sit , it ended up on a mobile platform about 4 feet wide by 6 feet long. He thinks he got a bargain at $1,300.00 , I am not sure about that. Instructions did state not to set up in the rain . We will see how it works out when he paints the 55 Cheby pickup. Sorry the pictures are not in order , dag gone Windows 10 !

100_6356.JPG

100_6357.JPG

100_6358.JPG

100_6359.JPG

100_6350.JPG

100_6351.JPG

100_6352.JPG

100_6353.JPG

100_6354.JPG

100_6355.JPG

100_6360.JPG

100_6361.JPG