Inspectorjoe

How do I straighten a bent steering wheel

Inspectorjoe

I bought a 1974 C-120 with a bent steering wheel. I did see the damage in the listing photos, but wasn't concerned about it. Putting it into the minivan, it suddenly became a concern. Unfortunately, when the wheels are pointed forward, the wheel is bent upwards. The tractor should have barely fit through the rear opening, but the upward bend of the wheel made it a no-go. Letting the air out of the tires and some muscling got in for the ride home.

Does anyone have a technique  for straightening the wheel without removing it from the column? I searched here, but didn't find anything. A general internet search didn't bring up much, other than prying it with a 2X4. 

20210629_230238.jpg

20210630_135241.jpg

20210630_135334.jpg

roadapples

I removed the wheel and put a piece of 3/4" rod in a large vice. Slipped the wheel over the rod to hold it, then I could bend it by hand. Take your time and you can get it real close...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

daveoman1966

The two spokes don't appear to be bent but, if they are, use a BAR CLAMP parallel across them and draw the clamp until you think they are straight.  I'd insulate the 'cleats' of the bar clamp with rags to preclude damage to the s/w cushion material.  Having stated that, it appears to me that only one side of the s/w preimiter is bent UP. Make a loop with a chain around the now straightened spokes (rags again)...one end of a 2x4 in that loop. Now, using the 2x4 as a lever, pry DOWN on the 'up-bent' section of the s/w.  You shouldn't have to pull the s/w to fix this.        

oldlineman

Having never done this, would it be beneficial to heat the plastic with a hair dryer before attempting this, just curious. Bob  

rmaynard
9 minutes ago, oldlineman said:

Having never done this, would it be beneficial to heat the plastic with a hair dryer before attempting this, just curious. Bob  

It's only plastic on the outside. Steel inside. 

oldlineman

Yes, but thought heating my prevent plastic from cracking. Bob

rmaynard

That's a soft-touch wheel. The plastic is more like a very high density foam. It normally won't crack. The wheels made with hard plastic do crack fairly easily.

I have found that leaving the steering wheel mounted is the easiest way to reshape them. That wheel was probably bent by the operator constantly pulling on it to get off and on the tractor. Steady pressure in the opposite direction and the bend should return it to a reasonably straight condition. Hold the other side of the wheel down with a ratchet strap looped behind the dash tower or completely under the frame. 

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

Might be a good idea to brace the ends of the spokes to the dash as well.

Crazyredhorse

do the 2x4 but make a T one slide it in from bottom and against spokes