seuadr

Compressor room?

seuadr

So, with my soon to be new shop, I've got an idea that i've been thinking on for a while: a separate, sound dampened compressor room.

currently i have a little 30 something gallon harbor freight compressor - but i intend to get a larger one once i have the opportunity. 

either way, though, compressors are noisy and i was thinking about turning one of the rooms in the soon to be shop into a compressor dedicated room with an external access to cut down on noise. 

anyone done anything like this?

Maxwell-8
1 minute ago, seuadr said:

So, with my soon to be new shop, I've got an idea that i've been thinking on for a while: a separate, sound dampened compressor room.

currently i have a little 30 something gallon harbor freight compressor - but i intend to get a larger one once i have the opportunity. 

either way, though, compressors are noisy and i was thinking about turning one of the rooms in the soon to be shop into a compressor dedicated room with an external access to cut down on noise. 

anyone done anything like this?

Great idea, but insure the room is ventilated (outside air-intake) as a compressor need air of course.

We bought a small (25L) silent compressor so the big dog doesn't has to run all the time. Cause man, those are loud.

seuadr
1 minute ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Great idea, but insure the room is ventilated (outside air-intake) as a compressor need air of course.

good point - the room i'm thinking about putting it in is about 5x7, it was originally a bathroom, so has greenboard walls which i'm thinking will help with sound. it has a 34" ish window in it, i could pretty easily adapt that as an intake by putting a fan in. then i could have a vent out the roof with a cap. 

probably could work something out so that the fan has a backdraft damper and only comes on when the compressor is running.. :confusion-confused:

Maxwell-8
5 minutes ago, seuadr said:

probably could work something out so that the fan has a backdraft damper and only comes on when the compressor is running

A relay that comes off with power of the motor.  But think a (half) open window would do the job. Just to prevent a huge vacuum in that room

• Like 2

Handy Don

Good idea to isolate sound (it could also have shelves for storing infrequently used stuff). 

If you decide to have the compressor on/off switch outside the room, consider using a switch with a pilot light so if the compressor doesn't happen to be running when you leave the shop you'll be reminded to shut it off! 

These are the styles I use for "out of sight" lighting.

1134398791_pilotlightswitch.jpg.678ca12a3eb755ff6a513492cd8d7906.jpg 81244213_pilotlightswitch2.jpg.37245db902fc9af89dc93e8a3d7ee38f.jpg

• Like 3

pacer

Good idea to isolate it - If you happen to get/have one of the ..... Oil less? types, they are REALLY noisy.

Prolly no help to you, but I put mine outside. I have a conventional 'stick' construction shop and on both sides I made over sized eaves cause I knew I'd be sticking stuff out side all the time. So when I got my large - 80gal, 5hp, 19cfm - compressor I tacked an extension on the eave overhang at the back of the shop and poured a 3x3 slab to sit it on, its only cover is the overhang. Plumbed it all through the shop with (theres LOTS of different opinions here!!) schedule 80 PVC  and LOTS of conx points - this was some 30yrs ago and I've never had a problem. Any how, kinda drifted off topic there, but that was one of the best things I did getting that big thing out side. I put it on a dedicated 30 amp breaker and I use it for on/off - the panel is inside the shop and easily accessible.

If/when you replace yours, strongly consider getting one that can put out, at a minimum, of 15-16 cfm. Air tools and sand blasting needs a LOT of air!

• Like 1

squonk

Whatever you do, don't buy an oil less compressor. Those things will wake the dead! The more money you spend on a compressor the quieter it is most of the time. Big motor low RPM pump keeps the noise down.

At work we had a medical gas air compressor. It went bang when the starter engaged. It would scare the crap out of you. One day after lunch, I go down to the boiler room to do my cooling tower water tests. One of the older guys in the shop is there doing some boiler room paperwork and he had fallen asleep at the desk. (It was over 100 deg in there) I didn't want to scare him so I tip toed by him to get to where I needed to be. Well that compressor fired up and it scared him so bad he jumped about 3 feet up out of that chair. I felt so bad for him. He had a pacemaker and was worried he'd need another one! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

seuadr

awesome ideas, guys!

yeah - My dad had an oil-less once.. no thanks!

the harbor freight one i have was the smallest non oil-less they had - previously i had an "american brakeshoe" compressor like 80 gallons with a 5 horse 2 stage compressor - that thing was GREAT, but the brass reed valves broke and when i thought about replacing it, i realized that the tank was from the 1940s and i was not sure i had the confidence in it.

when i got looking into the cost of having the tank tested, i could just about buy a new compressor and tank instead!

Maxwell-8
45 minutes ago, squonk said:

Whatever you do, don't buy an oil less compressor.

WHAT did you say???

Ps. My dad bought an oil-less, I have always been very skeptical about them. Well let me tell you that the compressor is currently laying on the old-iron pile. 

• Haha 1

pacer

My eldest, as with most of us short of funds but had enough to get the larger 'oiless' upright tank version from HF. So hes got a 2 car enclosed garage (that seldom sees a car, just ask his wife!) He HATES it! its so loud you cant think straight! And even then it only puts out something like 6-cfm.

lot of folks buy one based on highest PSI - and, most of them will give around 125psi, but only 3,4,6ish CFM, and an air drill, paint gun, etc will keep the compressor running constantly - with all that noise. Those are fine for the occasional use -- they drive the roofers/carpenters nail guns just fine. 

WHX??

I was thinkin of doing the same thing seuadr. Not so much for noise but that too but so as not to take up floor space. Build a bump out big enough for the compressor with outside access  and like Don said shelving on the compressor side for horse parts and for a blast cabinet that was open to the inside. 

Never did get around to it and now with the price of lumber :jaw:.  Tucked the Quincy in a corner where the corner cabinet & RJ was and called it a day. It doesn't run that much is fairly quiet and I actually enjoy hearing the beast run! :lol: 100 bucks just for the lumber in that 2nd pic and that wasn't including the plywood so I just repurposed the old shelfing 3/4 boards. 

20200926_164448[1].jpg

20200930_204002.jpg

20200930_204049.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 4

squonk
31 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I was thinkin of doing the same thing seuadr. Not so much for noise but that too but so as not to take up floor space. Build a bump out big enough for the compressor with outside access  and like Don said shelving on the compressor side for horse parts and for a blast cabinet that was open to the inside. 

Never did get around to it and now with the price of lumber :jaw:.  Tucked the Quincy in a corner where the corner cabinet & RJ was and called it a day. It doesn't run that much is fairly quiet and I actually enjoy hearing the beast run! :lol: 100 bucks just for the lumber in that 2nd pic and that wasn't including the plywood so I just repurposed the old shelfing 3/4 boards. 

I bet the Quincy goes WHOOMPA WHOOMPA WHOOMPA! :lol:

• Haha 1

squonk

Here's my Compressor. Single stage Campbell Hausfeld. Almost 30 yrs. old. I got it for $475 when I was working at the Napa store. Still is on the pallet it was shipped on! :helmet:We sold a crap load of these. Still has the original belt although I have a spare hanging. Replaced the head gasket about 4 years ago. The big thing I hate about cheapie air compressors, is the crappy air filter. I have this compressor in my back shop. I have run the air intake outside and use the only part of a Tecky engine that won't break,...... The air filter assembly! :banana-wrench: The air intake makes more noise than the compressor! :rolleyes:

c1.jpg.ed2272204735dba8ecc8e23c17825bae.jpg

c2.jpg.56cba643069de3ad5b94ba0b38209f76.jpg

c3.jpg.1890ce77adcecf01d83e3bfd2196f0e9.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
20 minutes ago, squonk said:

I bet the Quincy goes WHOOMPA WHOOMPA WHOOMPA! :lol:

No actually it got a pleasant whirl to it. They got it pulleyed to haul the mail. 

20200926_165637.jpg

seuadr

we use a lot of industrial 3 phase quincy compressors on campus - they provide control air for buildings as well as lab air and are used for vacuum pumps as well. 

squonk
2 minutes ago, seuadr said:

we use a lot of industrial 3 phase quincy compressors on campus - they provide control air for buildings as well as lab air and are used for vacuum pumps as well. 

Used to service the Quincy vacuum pumps here. That oil was crazy $$$$$$$$!!!

Jeff-C175

A couple pieces of 1/2" drywall propped up in front of the compressor goes a long way to muffle the sound.  Don't need Nuthin' Fancy.

For some reason I'm now hungry for home canned pickles!  Or maybe those are beans or asparagus?  even better!

image.png.570a19d7dcbc9951a43aae290e1a0e49.png

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??

Jeepers Cats Jeff ... Nothing gets by you!!! :ychain:

Dilly aspargi and brussels bound for the next cocktail! 

They had to get moved Missus was afraid the vibration would rattle them off. 

Truth be told one time while pressing a steering wheel right below the crack of it letting loose sent one to the floor....:crying-yellow: Good thing it was an empty! :lol:

2 hours ago, squonk said:

That oil was crazy $$$$$$$$!!!

Check out the receipt for four quarts and two air filters and a extended warranty!  I think they seen me coming. :teasing-wedgie:

20200928_180642.jpg

• Haha 1

squonk

That's cheap. I think that vac pump oil was like $80 a gal! 

Handy Don
22 minutes ago, squonk said:

That's cheap. I think that vac pump oil was like $80 a gal! 

What makes it so valuable?

seuadr
13 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I dunno about larger pumps, but in the smaller pumps it is specifically engineered to minimize vaporization during the process.

• Like 1

squonk

When you're dealing with anything medical, the price goes up! :rolleyes:

Marley cooling tower gear box oil was close to $30 a gal

wallfish

What about those rotary screw compressors?

I've only seen them in commercial buildings but they run pretty quiet. Probably expensive too

WHX??

Most likely $$ 'Fish...

1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Because they can Don.... Kubota just bent me over for a jug of their transaxle juice to the tune of 90 clams. Bet the ranch she's gonna get universal next time. 

I don't  know about the vaporizer thing seuadr but you can bet the ranch next time the compressor  gonna get drain oil....nawww just  :ychain:

• Haha 1

seuadr
31 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I don't  know about the vaporizer thing seuadr but you can bet the ranch next time the compressor  gonna get drain oil....nawww just  :ychain:

So the process of pulling a vacuum causes the contents of the system to pass through a vabe rotary pump and exhausts into the oil. The oil has to have a very low vapor pressure so that the system contents boil out of it readily. It also needs to lube the system, and be relatively resistant to corrosion (at least for HVAC purposes) a lot of these oils are special silicone and polyether blends. So they are pricey.

Of course there is probably a big brand markup too.

• Like 3