Gregor

The C-175 Automatic Project

Gregor

Thanks Jeff. Once I get the parts for my fuel tank, I can actually drive this thing around, Get the oil in all the nooks and crannies, and measure the oil again.

My trans didn't have a dipstick, or even a tube. I don't understand why anyone would have removed them, but apparently they did.

The more I look into this, the more confused I get. I thought you could tell an Eaton from a Sundstrand, by the letter in the model number. S for Sundstrand, E for Eaton.

My 876 doesn't have either letter, but the filter is on the right side, and it has the linkage similar to that of my 175, and 141. In front of the trans. It has ATF in it, and is has a dipstick with a plug and brass insert. No by-pass valve

My 141 has  an S in the model number, filter on right side,  with the same style linkage, (in front) and it has the by-pass valve.  It has 10w30, and a dipstick like Jeffs

My 125 has an E in the model number. Filter on left side. Linkage on top of trans. No by-pass valve, has oil in it, and a dipstick like Jeffs

My 175 has an S in the model number. Filter on right side, linkage in front, and a by-pass valve, and had no dipstick at all.

I changed the fluid in all these transmissions. I'm sure I out in whatever came out. The trouble with the 175 is, it looks like chocolate milk came out. I am wondering if ATF is correct for the 876.  That's what came out of it.

BTW @Jeff-C175I am almost 70 years old. I can't remember even once, having FUN with math.

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Gregor said:

I am almost 70 years old. I can't remember even once, having FUN with math.

Hah!  Me too!  I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy... and I'll be 68 in a couple days ... that's 18 with 50 years of experience.

I have fun with math actually!  Here's an example:

image.png.846647e1e6f3d6a516c18133011a990e.png

2 hours ago, Gregor said:

tell an Eaton from a Sundstrand, by the letter in the model number. S for Sundstrand, E for Eaton

Correct.

I thought it was in this thread... someone pointed out that the early Sundstrands did use ATF and later ones regular motor oil.

I don't understand how yours could have gotten what sounds like water in the oil since there is no shifter boot to allow rain in.  Typically we know that the 'chocolate milk' is from water intrusion.

But MAYBE that's what happens when one misguidedly mixes ATF with motor oil?  Dunno!

I don't understand why anyone would have removed them, but apparently they did.

I bet it had the plastic dip tube on it and it too was broken like mine.  That could also explain where the water in the trans came from!

Edited by Jeff-C175

Jeff-C175
On 6/29/2021 at 1:36 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

I don't believe that there was a 'choice' of transmissions.  Depending on the model year, you got what you got.  I'm only aware of either Sundstrand or Eaton.  Don't know what the third might be.

Take back what I said earlier.  The THIRD choice would have been the 8 speed stick.  I don't know if buyers were able to choose between the Eaton or the Sundstrand in 1980 or not.  My guess would be not.  If you ordered an AUTO you got whatever they happened to be building at that time.

Identification numbers on tag.

01-17KS02-5968

Tractordata does not list a 17KS02

TractorData has this little blurb on the 175 page:

image.png.0a06ce1d8fb94ff10725e0f915e746a4.png

You can see that the KS02 appears to be a 1980 model, like mine.

image.png.d67251ada975729a98aa381bcf5ab5ba.png

image.png.823f118724b56e537fcf9a17e58fb971.png

image.png.f2e564a7c007c3f4d6746b336ca476a1.png

image.png.9cf07ee3b4d01c2f648201c12eb57a44.png

image.png.206a92b7ded6fccea92af48ec9bd2fd2.png

My tag says   01-17KS02-5759

It looks like 1980 was the only year (and the first year for the model) that they built the 175 with the Sundstrand unit, but the Eaton is also listed so they must have made the change mid-model year.

No Sundstrands appear in any model after 1980.

In 81-83 they were only built with the Eaton which explains why they are seen more frequently.

In 84 it appears that you could not get the 8 speed in the 175 and it was also the last year of production for the model.

Edited by Jeff-C175

pfrederi
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

Thanks Jeff. Once I get the parts for my fuel tank, I can actually drive this thing around, Get the oil in all the nooks and crannies, and measure the oil again.

My trans didn't have a dipstick, or even a tube. I don't understand why anyone would have removed them, but apparently they did.

The more I look into this, the more confused I get. I thought you could tell an Eaton from a Sundstrand, by the letter in the model number. S for Sundstrand, E for Eaton.

My 876 doesn't have either letter, but the filter is on the right side, and it has the linkage similar to that of my 175, and 141. In front of the trans. It has ATF in it, and is has a dipstick with a plug and brass insert. No by-pass valve

My 141 has  an S in the model number, filter on right side,  with the same style linkage, (in front) and it has the by-pass valve.  It has 10w30, and a dipstick like Jeffs

My 125 has an E in the model number. Filter on left side. Linkage on top of trans. No by-pass valve, has oil in it, and a dipstick like Jeffs

My 175 has an S in the model number. Filter on right side, linkage in front, and a by-pass valve, and had no dipstick at all.

I changed the fluid in all these transmissions. I'm sure I out in whatever came out. The trouble with the 175 is, it looks like chocolate milk came out. I am wondering if ATF is correct for the 876.  That's what came out of it.

BTW @Jeff-C175I am almost 70 years old. I can't remember even once, having FUN with math.

Your 876 has Wheelamatic (which in reality is a Sunstrand Hydro gear). it does have a tow valve and if you can push it with out releasing it your hydro is significantly worn. It needs a 1/2" wrench and is in the front of the underseat tool box    ATF would have been correct for it.

tow.JPG

Edited by pfrederi

Gregor
36 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Your 876 has Wheelamatic (which in reality is a Sunstrand Hydro gear). it does have a tow valve and if you can push it with out releasing it your hydro is significantly worn. It needs a 1/2" wrench and is in the front of the underseat tool box    ATF would have been correct for it.

Duh   You are correct. I remember it now. It's just not where all the other valves are. It's a good thing this 175 is my last tractor. It is getting too hard to keep track of things. Besides, I think it's going to be about 6 months before I can get any parts.

Handy Don
On 6/29/2021 at 2:37 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

That DOES look sharp!  I've got the same engine on my monster pressure washer.   But it's black.  4 GPM at 4K PSI if I let it, but that scares me so I don't go over 2.5K

Mine maxes at 3K but, like you, I keep it at 2.5. What was that behemoth intended for, road construction equipment?

Jeff-C175
41 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

What was that behemoth intended for, road construction equipment?

I really don't know!  I picked it up about 15 years ago for free from a guy that was primarily a 'landscaper' (meaning he had a pickup truck / trailer / and a Skag).  I think he used it for driveway cleaning when the grass wasn't growing.  It was a mess... The engine ran OK but the carb of course needed cleaning and the starter was intermittent.  The big pump had three cracked pistons and bad seals, rebuilt that.  Replumbed the whole thing.  I put about $400 into it total.    It really works good now but honestly... it's just a LITTLE BIT overkill!  :scared-eek::text-lol:

By the way... It's just a guess at the PSI and GPM.  I bet it would do more than that.  Maybe as much as 4.5 GPM at 4500 PSI.  The max specs on the pump are up in that range.  Somebody at some point in time paid over $2000 for it I'm sure!

[edit: just looked it up... 5.6 GPM @ 3500 PSI is the rating on the General TS2021 pump.  Memory not what it used to be!]

But I digress... sorry Greg!

Edited by Jeff-C175

Thor27

That briggs really looks great!

Gregor

Finally got to take the C-175 out for a gallop this morning. I received my fuel tank grommet and valve, so it no longer has to be tethered to a life line any more.  According to tractordata, those aren't the correct fronts tires and wheels, but they were on there when I got it, so I replaced them with new tires. I still don't like the Deestones, but I bought them, I had them, figured I ought to use them. Maybe I'll get tired of looking at them and call Ed in Ohio. I think if I were to raise the fender pan 1/2", I could sneak 26" tires under there. We'll see. The Briggs twin sounds pretty good with dual exhaust. Just can't decide to point them up, or down. Still waiting on a few parts from Lincoln. Once I get the new hood, and get it painted an installed, the tractor will get it's new key chain and serial number plate.

1979376575_20210702_140152(2).jpg.824465abe226f2993fe1f964cbbdbcda.jpg672711636_20210702_141821(2).jpg.0d1e19062f347624f47ae5db5a5c1b3b.jpg988470248_20210702_141834(2).jpg.97867741f8cf28b640388c44c360c0c7.jpg

Jeff-C175
43 minutes ago, Gregor said:

take the C-175 out

Daggone you do work fast, don'tcha!?

Looks wonderful Greg.

I think the front tires look fine and the mufflers pointing up too.  Maybe the latter will change when you get your hood on though, might change the look?  Did you try straight out yet?

Keep the front tires, the Briggs is not 'stock' either, so the machine is not a 'virgin' anyway...

Edited by Jeff-C175