Gregor

The C-175 Automatic Project

Gregor

I started a new thread on the C-175 Automatic. For some reason, I had the other one filled with 125 pics.  :confusion-confused:  Oh well.

It's Tuesday June 15, 2021, and the 175 is in the garage. I have spent the last few weeks amassing parts. I hope I have everything I need. I know I will have to order new shoes. If it turns out nice, maybe some shiny new wheels. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: How do youI like my plywood seat pan?  Might have to change that. The Briggs twin seems to run fine, so there won't be any motor work at this time. I'll strip everything down, and get the parts to the sandblaster.

20210615_082804.jpg.706cc80c89101e4be93f0c20775dc8b8.jpg20210615_082708.jpg.5f9412b201f77d7c7a8cf48dd8f03ba6.jpg20210615_082749.jpg.703f9fed124230b145c5d396d34d5868.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Maxwell-8

Looking forward following this project alongside to mine. :popcorn:  I am starting Thursday on my c175.

Your c125 came along nice:clap:, don't expect anything less here. :wink:

Gregor

While tearing down the 175 I noticed the steering had more play than usual. Seems to be a lot in the rack and pinion. Is it usually the pinion gear that wears, the rack, or both?  Thanks  Greg

kpinnc

Usually the hole on the lower steering arm (other end from the tie rods) where the upper shaft rests behind the fan gear gets worn. They came slightly oblong to hold grease, but when worn they open up. Same with the hole that the lower shaft at the fan gear goes. Combine that with a worn bushing under the steering wheel, and it gets sloppy. I have made bushings for the bottom of the lower arm and under the steering wheel, and they do make an improvement.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gregor

I recently saw on here (I think) where someone was selling re-furbished dash plates. Anyone know who that might be?

Jeff-C175
7 hours ago, Gregor said:

wears

The flanged bearing at the front of mine was pretty worn.

• Like 1

Lee1977

I don't have a black hood, but I have fixed a 312 and 520 upper steering shaft steering bearing.

The 520:

SAM-1334.jpg

The 312

SAM-0941.jpg

The 312

SAM-1348.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

Gregor

The C-175 Automatic is coming along slowly. With the emphasis on slowly. I have another hood coming from Lincoln. The one that came with it was pretty rough. I'm still not sure what it's going to get for tires and wheels yet. Time will tell.

20210624_193916.jpg.b6c9720bf13f4a026b2ce30ef8853560.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

kpinnc

Looking great so far!

Gregor

One chart I have lists the C175 with a choice of three transmissions, including the Sundstrand and Eaton units. If it's a Sundstrand, it gets ATF and the Eaton uses 10W30.

I read the above statement in a post dated 2009. My 175 has a Sundstrand hydro unit. When I drained the hydro, it sure didn't look like ATF. It looked more like chocolate milk than anything. I was going to refill it, but now am second guessing myself. ATF, or 10W30? And since it has no dipstick, does anyone know how much?

Jeff-C175
5 minutes ago, Gregor said:

One chart I have lists the C175 with a choice of three transmissions, including the Sundstrand and Eaton units. If it's a Sundstrand, it gets ATF and the Eaton uses 10W30.

I read the above statement in a post dated 2009. My 175 has a Sundstrand hydro unit. When I drained the hydro, it sure didn't look like ATF. It looked more like chocolate milk than anything. I was going to refill it, but now am second guessing myself. ATF, or 10W30? And since it has no dipstick, does anyone know how much?

I'm not so sure about the ATF for the Sundstrand!  My machine specifies "10W-30 or 10W-40" .  I don't know if that ever changed from my 1980 model but it's what was in it when I got it and what I've always used.

Why is there no dipstick?  missing?  mine has one ... under the seat.

I don't believe that there was a 'choice' of transmissions.  Depending on the model year, you got what you got.  I'm only aware of either Sundstrand or Eaton.  Don't know what the third might be.

Edited by Jeff-C175

Gregor
1 minute ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Why is there no dipstick?  missing?  mine has one ... under the seat.

Mine simply has a plug.

Is your trans a Sundstrand, or Eaton?

Jeff-C175
29 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Mine simply has a plug.

Is your trans a Sundstrand, or Eaton?

I have the Sundstrand.

Someone must have 'lost' the tube and stick then.  The original tube on mine was plastic and broken. 

You can use a piece of 1/2" copper plumbing pipe with a 1/2" threaded adapter on the end. 

image.png.f452275776d78a0125b2c8280c757cf4.png

On the dipstick end I used a 1/2" copper coupler

image.png.4809f2300f30f5bf3f14eb65ff445370.png

and the O-ring of the dipstick fits nicely into the plumbing fitting.   

image.png.4ef760699eba6d41f39e1054dd706d36.png

You really should try to find or make a dipstick.

image.png.5380719f4e687c1dfaf526c50c4cf158.png

The capacity chart shows 5.5 quarts, but keep in mind that there is a fair amount in the lift cylinder / hoses / control valve.  I don't think I EVER had to put that much in.

If you've got chocolate milk,  you might wanna do a couple fill / dump / refill

I bet a zinc additive would be a good thing too.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Gregor

If and when I get the parts I have ordered from Lincoln, I will check in to a tube and dipstick. For now, I will let him concentrate on the other parts I REALLY need.

I saw on another forum where someone had painbted their Briggs twin an off white. I thought it looked really good, so I copied it.

20210629_091104.jpg.35590ddc4d06ec82dec6f9b4baa1423e.jpg

Right now there are no mufflers on it. I am attempting to redo the exhaust system. Time will tell if it works.

The decal set for this motor is NLA of course, so I made, and printed my own. They aren't exact of course, but they will do.

20210629_131238.jpg.30c21256deed5904cc0ffc07704aadf1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Older Sunstrands came with ATF  Later models used 10w-30.  Filter on right side Sunstrand filer on  left rear Eaton will use 10w-30/40.

Dipstick is your vent so running it with a plug is a bad idea....

Eaton vents through the curved handle.  Sunstrand through a nodular brass plug in the square head. of the dipstick.

Jeff-C175
8 minutes ago, Gregor said:

looked really good

That DOES look sharp!  I've got the same engine on my monster pressure washer.   But it's black.  4 GPM at 4K PSI if I let it, but that scares me so I don't go over 2.5K

Edited by Jeff-C175

Jeff-C175
9 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

square head

???

I guess that explains the oily residue at the top, but that thing is ROUND.

image.png.d755bff482270a1bc473e86736be0e7c.png

Edited by Jeff-C175

Jeff-C175
21 minutes ago, Gregor said:

redo the exhaust system

That PW of mine has got two muffs on it, but this would not work well in a tractor.

image.png.4e66b97a2116ffd33919bdf696f02d15.png

What's wrong with the muffler that's on there?  Gonna 'stack' it maybe?

• Like 1

Gregor
10 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Older Sunstrands came with ATF  Later models used 10w-30. 

Can you narrow down older and later?

Identification numbers on tag.

01-17KS02-5968

Tractordata does not list a 17KS02

Gregor

That power washer almost looks like it's alive.

Nothing wrong with the present muffler. just kind-a boring.

• Haha 1

Gregor

I replaced the plug in the Sundstrand Hydro with a 1/2 X 8" black pipe, and topped it with a cap. I drilled two 1/8" holes into the side of the cap as a vent. I put in 5 1/2 qt. of Mobil 1 10w 30.  When I poke a threaded rod into the pipe I think I am reaching all the way to the bottom of the trans housing. I have 5 1/2" of oil on the rod. I have no idea if this is enough, not enough, or just right. Of course I have not ran the tractor yet, still waiting on parts. I did jack it up and spin the wheels, but I am sure there is air to be purged yet, and the filter to consider. Anyone have any idea how many inches of oil in your Sundstrand ? I think I have another Sundstrand in either the 876, or the 141, but I am not sure they would be the same. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks  Greg

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

Anyone have any idea how many inches of oil in your Sundstrand ?

Let's see if we can have some fun with math... maybe figure it out.

The ruler was a bit off the top of the trans by the thickness of the metal frame material.  Let's say maybe a quarter inch.  So this tube let's call 7-3/4" to the top of the transmission case.

I can probably reach in there to get a more accurate measurement if needed.

image.png.d988f2cd5125ef8a27c6fa98bb4c5666.png

This pic shows the stick would be 10-1/2" down from the top of the tube and the 'fill zone' is between 9-1/2 to 10-1/4

image.png.01bde67148432132641994b34f255084.png

It would appear that the 'full' transmission would have a level somewhere around 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 from the top of the case.

If you measure from the bottom and subtract the 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 from that, it should give a close idea of how high the level should be.

Later today I'll go out with a longer dipstick to see if I can get an idea if my ciphers are correct.  I'll bottom it out in the trans and try to get a measurement.

Well... Not much later, I was curious so I just went out.  My full transmission with a long dipstick bottomed out in the trans is showing 5" of fluid.

From the TOP of the dipstick tube to the BOTTOM of the transmission measures 14-1/4" .  So the 5" from the bottom is about right.

I think my measurement of the dipstick is 1/4" off.  It inserts into the trans 1/4" less than I've shown.  I placed the ruler at the TOP of the bell around the pull handle and it seems it doesn't go in that far.

Edited by Jeff-C175

pfrederi
20 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

???

I guess that explains the oily residue at the top, but that thing is ROUND.

image.png.d755bff482270a1bc473e86736be0e7c.png

Some late model sundstrand may have had the curved pull cap like your picture.  If you look at the end of eh pull handle you will see two small openings.  Blow in them you should feel air coming out along the dipstick itself .... most Sunstrands had the threaded  dipstick like this .  The brass vent is at the blue line.

vent1.JPG

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
26 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Blow in them you should feel air coming out along the dipstick itself

YEP!  Sure enough...

image.png.ea9365de619a5d195cc13fd85dc8cc15.png

Edited by Jeff-C175

Jeff-C175
28 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

most Sunstrands had the threaded  dipstick like this

What a PITA to check!  I wonder if that's what Greg's got on his?

@Gregor