ebinmaine

New-to-me Horse (and other stuff) Hauler!!

Maxwell-8
16 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

It's an '86 F-250 HD. 300. 4 speed manual. 4WD

Great truck you got there! :text-bravo:

4 speed mansmission,  4wd -> the way to go! :greetings-clapyellow:

image.png.7bf407705e445157f4d5c12551a0e564.png

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Nice looking rig. 300 six cylinders were tanks and it’s just broke in. Should more than get the job done. 

• Like 3

cschannuth

I had almost the exact same truck but it was a 1980 with the same drive train and whenever my in-laws hauled hay they always called me to pull the big trailer. It did great. That thing looks really sharp. The other thing you might consider is a split manifold. Even though it’s a straight six it will allow you to do a true dual exhaust and sound a little bit better from an exhaust standpoint. Also, if you go with a flatbed and decide to sell the current bed and tailgate, those things are like gold in the OBS community if they are rust free.

Edited by cschannuth
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, cschannuth said:

split manifold

Absolutely in the plans. I've always found a straight six split the right way to be a very entertaining sound. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Herder

Nice!! and congrats EB.  A repaint but surprisingly nice for it age.  I love ford trucks!!!!

• Like 3

Racinbob

Nice Eric! I bought an 85 with the 300 6 banger and 4 speed new. I towed a 30' travel trailer with it. One of the best engines ever produced. :)

• Like 3

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Nice Eric! I bought an 85 with the 300 6 banger and 4 speed new. I towed a 30' travel trailer with it. One of the best engines ever produced. :)

Absolutely agreed. 

I moved a trailer about the same size with one a few years back. 

Excellent tow rig. 

• Like 1

Racinbob

Torque, torque, torque. If I remember right 3000 rpm was the sweet spot. :)

• Like 1

Sparky

Very nice truck! Looks like it was cared for and not abused. I love cab lights, my Tundra would look silly with em, but one of my past trucks was a 2500 Dodge and the cab lights looked so cool at night

81FFC1EC-07B7-4835-B289-B5648191FB53.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Nice score, congrats EB and BBT!  We have a vintage class at the local track and most of the cars are powered by inline 6’s.  It’s an unlimited class for a 6 or a stock-ish 302/305 v8.  Most people are pushing way more power out of the 6... AND THAT SOUND!  I love me a healthy 6.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

dclarke

That's a heck of a truck, Eric. I like it!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

love cab lights

Yeah me too for sure. I'm one of those individuals that thinks it's nearly impossible to have too many lights on certain vehicles.

• Haha 1

tom2p

4wd ... 3/4 ton ... straight six ... stick ... locking hubs ... supah !

two thumbs up - nice find EB !

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

tom2p
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Here in Maine and particularly in our rural life that's a little like being several years with one hand super glued to your head.

C4F866D8-68B3-4B39-A31E-0C994CFC2C26.jpeg

Edited by tom2p
  • Haha 3

tom2p

eb - I like having a bed - but flatbed is also handy 

you could find a trailer - and that could be your 'flatbed'

a trailer with a ramp / ramps or a tilt trailer like a snowmobile trailer is very handy (especially for loading Wheel Horse tractors !)

• Like 2

pacer

What I would say about your very nice truck has already been said, but I'll throw in -- looks knee deep in rubber too!! but that mileage...... SIGH!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, tom2p said:

eb - I like having a bed - but flatbed is also handy 

you could find a trailer - and that could be your 'flatbed'

a trailer with a ramp / ramps or a tilt trailer like a snowmobile trailer is very handy (especially for loading Wheel Horse tractors !)

The last truck I had was basically the best of both worlds. It was a flatbed as stated, and it had 2x12's around all four sides of the bed.

I even had a little pocket up at the front that was roughly 80" long by 10 or 11 wide right across the headboard.

If I go back to a flatbed with this truck that's a similar thing to what I would build. 

We have a 5x8 utility trailer with a 3500 lb axle.

I've been using that as my "truck"  for a few years now.

I have two sets of cross ramps that I can bolt onto the top of the rails so I can put two tractors on the trailer and then still have 12" of cargo space underneath them.

I'll most likely keep that trailer for quite a while but I have considered picking up a four place flat aluminum snowmobile trailer because there's a lot of space for putting tractors on the deck. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, pacer said:

rubber

Definitely one of the bonuses of this truck is that it has nearly new tires. 

• Like 1

squonk

Twin I Beam. Fords usually either very new tires or very worn tires. :auto-swerve:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, squonk said:

Twin I Beam. Fords usually either very new tires or very worn tires. :auto-swerve:

This one has very new tires and very new suspension.

I'm going to have one of the local techs go over the whole truck with a fine toothed comb so we'll see how it goes....

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Damn fine looking rig there…those 80-86 noses have always been my favorite. And to have a 300 with a 4 speed…that’s even better. The first Ford I ever owned (and the one that converted me for life) was an 80 model F150 with the 300 and 4 speed, no matter what abuse I shelled out, the old girl just kept coming back for more

• Like 2

Handy Don
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Make no mistake... it's no cream puff. It's a worker.

The laborer deserves their wage.

Happy for you finding something that checks off nearly all your boxes!

Drive in good health!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

horseyheaven

I have the same exact truck except mine is brown with an easy dumper insert and snow plow.  300 six with 4 speed is the toughest combo out there.  As far as worn tires as mentioned above, that was only on the early 80-81 trucks with coil springs in f250s.  They realized this did not work, and went back to leaf springs.  Mine has leaf springs and has great tire wear, even carrying a snow plow all winter.  The last of the true carbureted engines and has the feel of a real truck.  In 1987, they fuel injected the 300 six.  Congrats on the new truck!  I love mine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OutdoorEnvy

Great find and truck Eric!  It's barely not a creampuff from my eyes so put her to work for sure!  Creampuffs are great but I always feel kinda bad for them.  Never getting to do the work and have the fun they were meant to have...I bet that was tough getting by without a truck...can't imagine :o Anyways...hope it serves you well and looking forward to seeing it in action in your future posts! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1