papaglide

310-8 and a 48" deck

papaglide

It's been a while but I'm back!  I am wondering if my 1985 310-8 can handle a 48" deck. It does the 36" and 42" perfectly fine, but I'm thinking maybe the 48" might be a bit too much.

Any thoughts or experiences using this combo? Or at least an old Kohler 10 hp witha 48" deck.

roadapples

I would think that's pushing the limit. Maybe if kept short...

• Like 4

tunahead72

I wouldn't recommend it.  My C-105 and 310-8 both do okay with a 42" side discharge, but just okay, they both struggle with tall thick grass.  If you look back at any of the dealer brochures from that era, Wheel Horse didn't recommend a 48" deck on anything smaller than 12 horsepower.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

papaglide

Thanks tunahead. That's what I was thinking but I wasn't 100% positive.

Edited by papaglide
spelling and grammar
  • Like 1

pacer
15 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

Wheel Horse didn't recommend a 48" deck on anything smaller than 12 horsepower.

And I agree with that ---- but, oddly enough one of my early buys when getting the Horse bite was a 1054 out back in the weeds (which of course had the 10hp) was from an elderly gentleman who had bought it new --- with a 48" deck! I got her all slicked up and running good and used the deck .... briefly, and pretty quickly felt it was struggling a bit. I didnt need another tractor and ran a quick CL ad and a fella with lake front property with a pretty steep climb from lake to house and he was using a -- unknown -- with turf tires and they just wasnt getting it. I had added new ags to the horse and that convinced him. Have often wondered how that worked out.

I seldom regret selling one, but I kinda wish I'd have hung on to that one:crying-yellow:

image.png.4e3c543e42f9035f2afdce1fd67d6e57.png

• Like 5

papaglide

That's a beautiful tractor pacer. I hope it all turned out for him.

squonk
2 hours ago, papaglide said:

It's been a while but I'm back! 

As Phil Rizzuto would say "HOLY COW"! :banana-jumprope:

• Haha 1

clueless

Short answer, not to good. 

cschannuth

My 275 hour, like new, runs perfect, 314-8 doesn’t pull a 42 inch deck like I thought it would so I would say a 10 horse would be a real pain in the butt. I am used to my 16 horse twin Briggs and a 20 horse Onan so I’m probably spoiled.FD905F45-4EC5-451F-A542-57CEDEA9D988.jpeg.6fa4fddb6c3667209e4ed95e5c3fc28b.jpeg

• Like 1

kpinnc

Disclaimer: The post below assumes your engine has good compression, and your carb and governor are properly adjusted. Also assumes the blades are sharp and deck pulleys and spindles are free and lubed. 

I've mowed with a 48 and my 310-8 many times, and it really depends on what you are mowing. Well maintained, previously cut grass that you are just taking off and inch or two is likely ok. Heavy, wet, thick grass- stay 42 and under for decent results.

I doubt you're gonna damage the engine so long as it's full of semi- fresh oil and has plenty of airflow, but you will have to go slow at the highest deck setting to get a decent cut. You will absolutely exercise the govenor!

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3

Racinbob

I bought a GT-1100 new and had a spare 48" deck so that's what I out under it. I had no problem what so ever with anything I asked of it. I got it cheap right off the dealers showroom floor and didn't think the B&S would last but I knew a Kohler was an easy swap when it dies but 16 years later when we moved to Florida it was still going strong. :)

• Like 2

ol550

Have a 42 incher on a B80 does a good job.  Mowed some that got away from me during the monsoon season.  Sharp blades, clean underside of deck, and proper leveling is the clue to not over loading the engine. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

kpinnc
2 hours ago, ol550 said:

Sharp blades, clean underside of deck, and proper leveling is the clue to not over loading the engine. 

Yeah that is a good point. Setting the deck to ride VERY slightly nose down provides proper relief for each blade's cutting "disc". If the back of the deck rides low, they have to cut around the entire blade rotation. That will definitely add alot of drag on the deck.

Same principle on a saw blade. The little kerf turnout on each tooth is so just the edge makes contact instead of the while thing.

Edited by kpinnc

Horse Newbie
20 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Setting the deck to ride VERY slightly nose down provides proper relief for each blade's cutting "disc". If the back of the deck rides low, they have to cut around the entire blade rotation. That will definitely add alot of drag on the deck.

I have seen instructions from some manufacturer's say level the deck from front to back, but I don't pay no mind to that as MOST manufacturer's say have the front tips of the blades 1/8th to 1/4 inch lower in front...that is what I do...