953 nut

Seventy seven years ago!

Handy Don
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The combined forces of the allied nations turned the tide of WWll at Normandy France. Many gave their lives so we can all live free today.

For many years Normandy was on my bucket list and I finally got to visit in the fall of 2019.

Plenty of writers more eloquent than me have described it, but I went home deeply moved. Next year my wife and I will be bringing 75 or so high school students there for a short visit--I can only hope that they feel some of the impact it had on me.

One observation to share: as we drove through the many small villages that comprise the area around Normandy, we were impressed that nearly every public building was flying three flags: the Tricolour, the EU banner, and the Stars and Stripes. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Maxwell-8

Maybe a bit of a story-time: Those big concrete blocks you see in the ocean and on the beach is what is left of the biggest floating port. Gold beach was one of the 2 beaches they made a floating port. They figured to move land inwards they needed a lot of supplies. The big boats couldn't get close to the land and tranforing it over to smaller ships would  be time consuming and inefficient. They made the port by shipping huge concrete fundation made in the UK float all the way to Normandy. There they would let water and rocks in making the concrete sink.  Between the foundation the put 12 miles of metal bridges down. It was a fundamental port for the upcoming months and as much as 40 000 000 lbs of materials passed trough here every day. Until November of 1944. 

Internet pics:

Honoring D-Day Veterans | World War Media

Musée du Débarquement - Arromanches

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 4

Handy Don
15 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Maybe a bit of a story-time: Those big concrete blocks you see in the ocean and on the beach is what is left of the biggest floating port. Gold beach was one of the 2 beaches they made a floating port. They figured to move land inwards they needed a lot of supplies. The big boats couldn't get close to the land and tranforing it over to smaller ships would  be time consuming and inefficient. They made the port by shipping huge concrete fundation made in the UK float all the way to Normandy. There they would let water and rocks in making the concrete sink.  Between the foundation the put 12 miles of metal bridges down. It was a fundamental port for the upcoming months and as much as 40 000 000 lbs of materials passed trough here every day. Until November of 1944. 

Internet pics:

Honoring D-Day Veterans | World War Media

The sheer scale of the effort is so difficult to fully grasp. 

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Maxwell-8 Thank you so much for the pictures .  Very little written about this day in the Sunday paper here. It is a shame that people do not honor the past history of the military as they use to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Rusty Tinsnips

GOD bless all our fighters

• Like 1

haydendavid380

Grandpa was off Omaha on LST-509

IMG_20190606_065659.jpg.fbf93607c7b70b238157a96d8eaf0587.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2