bhayter37

A-90 transaxle jerking (moreso on left turns)

bhayter37

I have a peerless transaxle 72-08bp01 and the transaxle has started to jerk, mainly when turning left. I replaced the drive belt a year ago and it seems to be fine. I did jack it up and with the motor off put it in 1st then turned the wheels by hand. It would occasionally stick and with a little force I could turn the wheel past the sticking point and it would spin freely again for several rotations before sticking again. This would explain why I was getting the jerking. I'm not entirely sure where to start looking, and I know there are a lot smarter people on here so I was hoping for some advice. Thanks 

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Sounds like a keyway in an axle or hub is badly worn. Jack it up, remove the rear wheels, remove the hubs and give the hubs and axles a good inspection.

squonk

:text-yeahthat:. If the axles are ok, there are little dogs in the differential. one or more are most likely broken.  The insides of one of those Peerlees transmissions can be nasty! 

• Sad 1

gwest_ca

bhayter37

Thank you both for your input. The axle and hub were fine, so it sounds like possibly one of the dogs in the differential. I don't feel confident enough to tackle that, but I have it off the mower, so I may see how much the local Toro/Wheelhorse shop will charge to fix it.

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs::flags-usa:

Looks like Richard, Mike, and Garry got your question covered.

Ed Kennell
2 minutes ago, bhayter37 said:

so I may see how much the local Toro/Wheelhorse shop will charge to fix it.

Better make sure you're seated.

You could check our classified and put in a wanted ad for a used one.

• Like 2

squonk

I kinda doubt any shop would want to even attempt it.  I would check with A-Z tractor in the vendor section.

• Like 2

bhayter37

The shifter works fine in 1st and reverse. You can feel it click/lock into gear, but in 2nd and 3rd it's very loose and goes into gear with the push of a pinky.