Sign in to follow this  
pfrederi

Biggest Pains in working on older Horses

pfrederi

Other than my L107 that my Father bought new and has probably never been outside overnight (let alone out in the rain) over its entire life, my other horses are all "rescues". Some came from people who should find a special place in hell for abusing a Horse.

Anyway I find 3 things that consistently present problems in repairing them.

1) Hubs -- only seem to come in two versions...those that are loose and have wallowed out the key ways or are frozen on the axle and resist penetrating chemicals, heat and pullers. One was so recalcitrant I had to cut a notch in it and break it off in chunks with a chisel....

2) Steering wheels -- The WH engineer who decided roll pins were a good idea for steering wheels should get 40 lashes (the straight pin in the L107 may have gotten a bit sloppy over the years but is easy to pull!!!). I have had to replace my 1/4 roll pin punch after bending it trying to drive out some pins. I have one steering wheel that I have worked on for almost a year periodically soaking it and beating on it. Even after you get the roll pin out the steering wheel still doesn't want to leave the column (and thanks to the plastic hub cover a torch is out of the question....

3) Hitch Pin -- If it is stuck, and it usually is, you have to remove the wheels to get a straight shot at hitting it and if is really frozen the transmission is too big, heavy and awkward to wrestle into a press to push the pin out.

So what other items do you find irksome....

HorseFixer

Don't get me started! :ROTF: On the engineering of these tractors. :thumbs2: Instead I have realized there has to be one thing about it!

It is a labor of love! :thumbs: That's why we do it :ychain:

HorseFixer
2) Steering wheels --

rwilson

So what is the best way to get the hubs off th rear axle?

buckrancher

2) Steering wheels -- The WH engineer who decided roll pins were a good idea for steering wheels should get 40 lashes (the straight pin in the L107 may have gotten a bit sloppy over the years but is easy to pull!!!). I have had to replace my 1/4 roll pin punch after bending it trying to drive out some pins. I have one steering wheel that I have worked on for almost a year periodically soaking it and beating on it. Even after you get the roll pin out the steering wheel still doesn't want to leave the column (and thanks to the plastic hub cover a torch is out of the question....

QUOTE]

I have been replacing mine with a ground 304 .750 stainless steel shaft

problem solved :thumbs2:

:thumbs:

sorekiwi

The worst ever job is getting the 1/8" rollpin out of the clutch/belt tensioner shaft. More often than not, I've ended up cutting that shaft in half, and dealing to it in the press...

Just Piddling

I just tackled the hitch pin to do some trading with Kevin. :thumbs: After a couple hours, WD-40, torch and a sawzall, I finally won the battle.

I went to remove the steering wheel one day and decided it was fine the way it was. :thumbs2: