Gregor

The C-175 project

Gregor

I got the motor on the stand, and fired it up. A little coaxing with some starting fluid, and it took off. It seems to pop quite a bit. I am going to remove the head, and clean everything up, and see what happens. I have a China carb on it for now, the original is soaking. There were no strange noises from the block with a stethoscope, so maybe I would get to rebuild this one after Some new points, and a rebuilt carb, may be all it needs.

all.
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

peter lena

@Gregor, as you are trying to find out what you have , how about some RISLONE ENGINE FLUSH IN YOUR , EXPERMENTAL STAGE ?  my experience has been a very quick breakdown of the engine varnish , and a coal like black oil color , also this flushing helps clean out the ring varnish . done this on my engines with very good results , regularly add rislone ZINK  to my oils ,https://rislone.com/product/3x-concentrated-engine-oil-supplement-with-zinc-treatment-4405/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvr6EBhDOARIsAPpqUPENbXGEVYpguBMGQmiA4IqFLcvMsB_x1-VT5A9ycLzkmgTso3d0mGoaAoixEALw_wcB, the running of the engines is much easier and effortlessly smoother . just my own experience , good luck with your project , pete 

ebinmaine

That engine sounds pretty good to me mister

kpinnc

I am fluent only in a couple Kohler dialects, but am certain that one is saying "put-put-put-me-on-a-tractor"...

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Gregor
35 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

"put-put-put-me-on-a-tractor"...

It will be in time.

Today is May 3. I put the serial number tag and new key chain in a baggie. Those are always the last 2 things I put on a tractor. It means it's done. We'll see how long this takes.

1366220725_20210503_094126(2).jpg.3b8e35e019d798cbca85873477700c34.jpg

I didn't even bother trying to remove the steering wheel. Once I discovered I could get my side grinder in there, I cut thee shaft in half. I knew i would at least, booger up the wheel, and the cap, trying to remove it, so I didn't try.

When I rebuilt my Masseys, I got them to this point.  I took them to the driveway and flipped them over about 75%  on to their backs for power washing. They both have Sundstrand hydros in them. Didn't hurt them.  This is an Eaton. Will flipping it over, bother it at all? Hydro systems always scare me, I just don't know enough about them.

20210503_112304.jpg.82db53c185e47c06a6b78f92a9012f74.jpg

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 1

Pollack Pete

Ahhhhh.....music to my ears.The sweet sound of a Kohler idling.Oh,OK,I like the sound of an Onan too.Kinda like a Briggs and a techy too,now that I think of it.

• Haha 2

Rfp55

You may have air in the Eaton hydro pump after turning either 90 or up-side-down. When it gets on its feet- It wont drive; but don't panic. You push it until it gets hard to push around, then it may go. Can also remove a fitting near top of hydro  ( see a manual, reservoir line i think) but it wasn't always able to help to me. Plug the dipstick fill tube well.

Gregor

My garage has been transformed into a paint booth, once again. The tin work, and larger parts are still at the blaster, but I have a lot of the smaller parts painted. Switching from red lacquer, to Rustoleum, Regal Red, is quite a change, These cans put out some paint. A LOT of paint. Maybe too much paint at times, but it sure covers nice. These parts are drying, waiting for the next batch. And my garage is a he!! of a mess. AGAIN! 20210507_172019.jpg.919d1d6e17b7646338bec3e7c25bbdcc.jpg

• Excellent 3

Ahead of the Curve

It takes alot of work to make them shine again. Your a asset to the trade. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gregor

I got my parts back from the media blaster today. Once again, my garage has been transformed into a paint booth. I can start painting tomorrow

20210519_173935.jpg.888b920016c1170d40735d99feb3c583.jpg

I didn't notice until today, someone had drilled holes in the fender pan. Although I am not too good at this, I will try to repair them. Whatever I do, has to be better than 5 holes.

20210519_130822.jpg.3e3d6139b1fe6436781b32713744f2bb.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, Gregor said:

drilled holes

Could be used for a handy dandy mount for accessories. Maybe a horn. Spare joust holder, etc....

Gregor

My garage is no longer a paint booth. All the red is painted. The hood and everything else, is in  the house, drying for a couple of days. I will try to tape off the hood, and paint the black portion, when it's good and dry. I am always happy to get my garage back. Except this time, it' been invaded by Lawn Boys.

20210520_172700.jpg.24f85dfa56bb2bb9623bc01b5d0a0eb4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

kpinnc

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you got green stuff growing in your garage...:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Gregor
3 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you got green stuff growing in your garage...:D

But this is Grabber Green! :thumbs:

• Like 1

kpinnc

I noticed it wasn't so bad that it had yellow mixed in....

• Like 1

Gregor

The 125 is coming along, slowly, very slowly. :eusa-whistle: The big hole in the middle I think is where the engine goes, but it's been so long, I can't quite remember. I don't have the black painted on the hood yet, I will attempt that tomorrow.  I haven't heard anything from the machine shop, so I can't even order a rebuild kit yet. These are not the forever wheels, they are Massey wheels. I'm not sure if that is the forever seat yet or not. Haven't decided. This Regal Red seems quite a bit darker than the Chinese Red lacquer I have been using. There are a few pieces on the tin work that could have used some attention, but from past experience, I know I usually don't make them much better, I just make them different, so I left them alone. The fender pan is not original to the 125, but the original plastic one was pretty broke up.20210523_185315.jpg.08c179b684dc1c9201b28e4f81502aae.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

kpinnc

Looks great so far! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gregor

I got the black painted this morning. I am not real happy with it, but it is what it is. I've always said, I don't really restore these things, I just sort-a preserve them a little longer for the next guy, who may have the talent, and equipment to do it right.   Still have not heard back from the machine shop on the motor, but if this thing never moves again, at least I'll be able to see where I'm not going.

20210524_140855.jpg.ef0500b735e3d49ef2a68a0065aeafae.jpg

20210524_140912.jpg.b8628fb397d117918c14b3b66da14cbf.jpg

20210524_140933.jpg.35af2fb76b68020c1b583c1e0ed39d52.jpg

20210524_140955.jpg.c5e5b1930fe91adc2245b0f595ca1e4a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

Tuneup

Glossy goodness!

D_Mac

When you are finished with yours, feel free to grab one out of my garage and give it a once over. Nice Work.

• Thanks 1

Retired Wrencher

For 22 days you did very well. Enjoy it when it is done.

• Thanks 1

Gregor

I thought I had started a thread on my 175 under the "Wheel Horse Tractor" forum, but if I did, I can't find it, so I'll start over. I have been slowly amassing parts for the 175 in anticipation of getting to it after the 125 is done. These are the tires and wheels I took off the front. According to Tractor data .com, they are not correct. To be honest I didn't pay any attention to how the tractor was sitting, before I took them off. I don't know if it was low in the front or not. The tires I have on it now are from one of my Masseys. They are 16 - 6.50 X 8. The tractor does seem high in the front, but with it being jammed into storage with all the other tractors, it's hard to tell for sure.  Is 15 - 6.00 X 6 the right size for this tractor?20210525_085019.jpg.270ab6f4c2cacb819b37b1b86b80d259.jpg20210525_085030.jpg.2709ff810af6aa5c889039f794fbc5d2.jpg

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

My part manual say 16 X 6.50 - 8 

Tuneup

... and congrats on proper orientation of that outlet! I'd do the same but the inspectors would probably fail us down here.

• Like 1

bds1984
15 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

... and congrats on proper orientation of that outlet! I'd do the same but the inspectors would probably fail us down here.

I teach students every year that we position outlets up-side-down and they think I am crazy!  In my CAD lab they're placed properly though so someone here knows the correct way.