Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

SB-421

Hodge71

:thumbs2: Hey guys, I was away for the weekend up at Lake Wallenpaupack and as I was travelling around lo and behold I see a 70s C series for sale on the side of the road. I stopped to give her a once over and it looks solid, very rusty and definately left outside for a long time. No name on it anywhere, just said SB-421. Wheel Horse on the side of the hood. It was in red and white just like the 73+ c series and it had the chrome hood ornament on it too. It had a 10 HP Kohler on it and a white sickle bar off the center tach a matic hitch. It was also what looks like a 6 or 8 speed transaxle. I didnt have time to find a serial tag on it or the sickle bar because my F350 was perched precariously on the berm of a VERY busy state highway. Does anyone here know what years they were made and what they were worth. The sickle bars works as it had fresh cut weeds in it.. The tires hold air but are dryrotted. Im gonna try to get up there tomorrow in my travels for work and get some pics and possibly a serial #. Masking tape on the hoood said new starter soleniod and battery,but no price. Any help is appreciated. :thumbs:

Jeff

C-Series14

1982...01-11BH01...Oh, and it was an 8-speed.

oldandred

Jeff heres a picture of its brother its also a 1982

003-1.jpg

TT

It would have originally had an 11hp aluminum Briggs & Stratton engine.

So..... it's either a repowered SB-421 or a C-100 or C-101 with SB decals or hood. :thumbs2:

Rumor has it that these three "special" 1982 models (SB-371 / SB-421 / SK-486) were assembled to use up the older parts inventory. I don't know if that's fact or fiction, but it is possible.

oldandred

TT youre right Ed told me they had to do some thing with the parts so they just had to put some together with a different model numbers

TT

As a side note, the SB-421 is basically the same tractor as the C-111 (different Uni-Drive, I think), 1100 Special, and the GT-2500 Anniversary Special (minor differences here & there)

Here's a C-111 from a recent auction:

namas2009005.jpg

GT-2500 Anniversary Special (with SK-486 in the background):

gt2500-1.jpg

These tractors are also the "basis" for the GT-1100/1142 WorkHorse models.

wh500special

1982...01-11BH01...Oh, and it was an 8-speed.

Mike,

I don't have any of my lit handy, but is that mod # really right? The "H" is kind of unique, no? Perhaps for the 4 pinion?

Curious,

Steve

Hodge71

:thumbs2: Thanks guys i knew i could count on yas. i'm gonna get some pics of it today hopefully. Its definately a Red Kohler 10 Hp on her so I guess its been repowered. Is it woth buying it jus tfor the sickle bar mower? I was mulling things over and I actually convinced myself that it was some SPECIAL local government model that came with the sickle bar mower, hence the SB in the name and it was gonna be worth a mint. So much for dreaming LOL. :thumbs:

Rollerman

Jeff looks like you've got all the info on the SB421.

I'd say it's been upgraded with the Kohler engine.

Stock the SB421 & similiar GT2500 model had an aluminium bore B&S engine with a 4 pinion 8 speed rearend & 1" axles.

The C111 I beleive had the heavier B&S with cast iron cylinder liner, eight pinion 8 speed with 1 1/8th axles..."yes thats a lot of 8's"

You said the sickle mower was white?

It may have been a Haban?

I have one on a C100 8 speed & it's a heavy duty sickle mower & they do bring a pretty good price.

wh500special

Mike,

I don't have any of my lit handy, but is that mod # really right? The "H" is kind of unique, no? Perhaps for the 4 pinion?

Curious,

Steve

As usual when it comes to C-series stuff, Mike was dead on with that wierd model number.

Standing corrected :thumbs2: ,

Steve