FBaggshorses

Gas tank Petcock grommet re-install

FBaggshorses

In an attempt to remove the fuel line from the petcock on the bottom of my gas tank on a C-120 I inadvertently pulled the entire grommet out of the bottom of the tank spewing gas everywhere. Yes, in hindsight  I should've emptied the tank but figured closing the petcock would be suffice...

Wrong!  What a mess.. had gasoline everywhere.

Anyhow my question is: 

Is it necessary to use  a sealant on the grommet prior to re-installing it back into the bottom of the gas tank?

Oh and advise very appreciated thanks in advance.

bc.gold

No sealant required., Install the grommet first then the petcock, liquid soap helps.

Edited by bc.gold
  • Like 5

roadapples

Don't  use a grommet over. You can get a new grommet and shut off for 10 to 15 dollars...

• Like 7

Maxwell-8

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, roadapples said:

Don't  use a grommet over. 

Agreed. 

The rubber is very likely hardened and formed to the position it used to be in. 

• Like 8

ranger
4 hours ago, roadapples said:

Don't  use a grommet over. You can get a new grommet and shut off for 10 to 15 dollars...

Yes to this. One thing, did the grommet come out in one piece, or did it break, there may still be part of it inside the tank. I have always found gas a good lube for rubber suspension bushes etc, it evaporates quickly, grease doesn’t.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

Vendor on this site - wheelhorsepartsandmore.com sells them.

I just installed one few days ago.

Easy.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Maxwell-8

Like Dino mentioned in my topic, always use a lubricant when installing.It's easier to install but mainly easier on the grommet. 

• Like 2

Achto

Check your local hardware or small engine shop. There is a good chance that they have those tank grommets on hand. They were used by many company's.

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib

I use wd 40 . What little you use

will mix in with gas!

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎:rs:

:happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone::wwp:

• Like 2

Primeline part # 7-07461

available from Oreilly or Napa for about 3 bucks

• Like 3

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Achto said:

Check your local hardware or small engine shop. There is a good chance that they have those tank grommets on hand. They were used by many company's.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

peter lena

@FBaggshorses,  use a DIELECTRIC GREASE ON THAT GROMET , made for rubber to metal use , also try to get a  straight installation push into the tank hole , for easiest fit , pete

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

johnnymag3

What Pete said....

perfect for install, and preservation of exposed rubber !!!

;)

• Like 1

clueless

If it's the original grommet that make it at least 44 years old, buy a new one with the valve, cheap fix, might make it another 40+years. Since the tank is empty remove it, simple, and rinse it out with a little soap and warm water, lay it upside down in the sun for awhile, with both holes open it won't take long to dry and the sun will help soften up the tank. Take the valve and put a little lubricant on it, preferably petroleum based, I use a little 3in1 oil, I use the s**t on everything #OLDSCHOOL, now push the valve half way into the grommet now put a small amount of the lubricant on the end of the grommet. Start the grommet in to the tank, once it's started push the valve in and it all slides in, easy peesy. Old Wheel horse mechanic show me this, works every time.    

Edited by clueless
  • Like 5

FBaggshorses

Wow ok, alot of good knowledge there .Thanks alot greatly appreciated

bc.gold
On 5/20/2021 at 9:10 AM, clueless said:

If it's the original grommet that make it at least 44 years old, buy a new one with the valve, cheap fix, might make it another 40+years. Since the tank is empty remove it, simple, and rinse it out with a little soap and warm water, lay it upside down in the sun for awhile, with both holes open it won't take long to dry and the sun will help soften up the tank. Take the valve and put a little lubricant on it, preferably petroleum based, I use a little 3in1 oil, I use the s**t on everything #OLDSCHOOL, now push the valve half way into the grommet now put a small amount of the lubricant on the end of the grommet. Start the grommet in to the tank, once it's started push the valve in and it all slides in, easy peesy. Old Wheel horse mechanic show me this, works every time.    

Every abandoned farm house had at least one tin.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
44 minutes ago, bc.gold said:

Every abandoned farm house had at least one tin.

I must live in an abandoned farm house then!  Maybe 3 or 4 !  I've even got a couple cans of Singer Sewing Machine Oil! 

• Like 1