WheelhorseBob

C121 or C161.....not sure

WheelhorseBob

Hi guys, 

I have a habit of starting a small project that turns into a rather large project. Anyway I going to start a proper restoration thread now. Here is the start. The only thing I’m sure about is the rebuilt eight speed from last winter and this frame with the electric lift bracket. I’ll post all updates here. Wish me luck!

image.jpg

Edited by WheelhorseBob
  • Like 8

ebinmaine

Ok I'm in!

• Like 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, WheelhorseBob said:

a small project that turns into a rather large project

Welcome to my world! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Pullstart
9 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Welcome to my world! :lol:

small project that turns into Dan’s rather large project.”

• Haha 7
  • Heart 1

WheelhorseBob

First update. Clean sandblasted parts! Bunch more getting blasted tomorrow. Progress may be slow, I’ve got a bunch of yard projects in the works!

100B0754-6A5C-49DD-93C0-A46BE95CE590.jpeg

86749F7F-308F-445B-B170-38E5B9AFD2F3.jpeg

• Like 4

oliver2-44

Looks good, what type of blast equipment do you have.

• Like 1

WheelhorseBob

I have a cabinet blaster at work. It is loaded with either black beauty or silica sand. For larger parts I have a guy down the road who is reasonably priced. Frame headed there today.

• Like 1

WheelhorseBob

I’ve been asked about sand blasting. This is the unit I have use of. Works great! That battery tray was bad!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WheelhorseBob

More parts sandblasted. And another twist to this project! I bought a disassembled Wheel horse K341. Gonna be interesting seeing what this is about. The gent sold it for his brother who is elderly now and still cuts his lawn with a 1980 c145. Story is he sold a C165 along time ago to a friend who only wanted the chassis. He kept the k341 and had planned to put a new piston and rings, valves etc. to keep as a spare. He took it apart but never got around to it. Any way this is like unraveling a mystery! I found broken rod in the box along with an invoice for a new crank. It came with new piston rings and gaskets. I think 80 bucks was fair. Anyway I now have thre options for this build. K301, k342 and Briggs 16 twin. Decisions!   

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WheelhorseBob said:

Decisions

Boy. My K341 C160 is a pretty wicked thumper. 

But I've been a fan of older Briggs and Stratton engines for a while...

If I knew the twin ran good I'd lean a little that way. 

• Like 1

WheelhorseBob
39 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I really like the Briggs twins myself however I really like the big Kohler thumpers too. If I go with the Kohler Eric I’ll keep you in mind for the Briggs. On another not I was digging through all the litterateur and it looks like this motor got a new crank in 09 amongst other things. The cylinder has zero scoring so I’m starting to believe the story that the old gent was going to go through it and make it new for a spare. I was told it ran fine when Che disassembled it.

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, WheelhorseBob said:

If I go with the Kohler Eric I’ll keep you in mind for the Briggs

Well Sir that would be very much appreciated. 

Excellent score on that K341!!

• Like 1

WheelhorseBob

Update, got the frame painted and the rebuilt 8 pinion rear end reunited with it. I decided to go with the standard axle I removed from my 416 last year. I have a set of NOS HD 3/4 inch front spindles but I  never realized they are longer in the axle length. They won’t work with the front tires I chose so back to standard spindles. I really enjoy puttering around with these little tractors! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by WheelhorseBob
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Bill D
On 5/20/2021 at 8:30 PM, ebinmaine said:

I love the Briggs in my GT1642.  Go with the Briggs.  If you rebuild the Kohler, leave out the balance gears and install one of David Kirk's balance plates or ship the crank to Scott @Greentored for him to balance.  Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WH1618speed

Those front spindles are the heavy duty ones that were with a kit that was for a loader or if someone just wanted to beef up their spindles.  They also put those standard on the 418-C

Edited by WH1618speed
  • Like 2

WheelhorseBob
3 hours ago, WH1618speed said:

Those front spindles are the heavy duty ones that were with a kit that was for a loader or if someone just wanted to beef up their spindles.  They also put those standard on the 418-C

Does anyone know what front rims the HD spindles take? Also did the upgrade include bearings between the axle and spindles ala 520? I’m thinking it must have as the upright portion of the spindle is longer too. I’d like to use them if I could scrounge up the pieces.

Edited by WheelhorseBob
  • Like 1

Handy Don

I suspect that the HD spindle kit might well have had thrust bearings. I seem to recall seeing one advertised and it also, if I remember correctly, included wheels with tapered roller bearings instead of ball bearings (stronger laterally). It was a pricey upgrade.

I can tell you that between the reduction steering and the thrust bearings, it is much easier to steer my heavy 520 than my 310. You'll be happy if you can find them.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WheelhorseBob

Update, a little progress. On an exciting note the K341 should be back from the machine shop this week. It will be a C161-8! Oh and I had to remove the eight speed and completely disassemble. You live and learn, I didn’t get the hi-lo selector groove aligned with the hi-lo fork. It was obvious when I put the lever on. Big thanks to Vinsrj and Dino on YouTube for the help. I can now completely disassemble and 8-speed and put it back in about an hour and a half. More to come.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Excellent 4

ebinmaine

Nice progress Bob. Looks great. 

It'd be excellent to see at the North Berwick Meet n Greet.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WheelhorseBob

Brakes back together. The lining was separated from the band so I cleaned the surfaces and gorilla glued it back. Not sure how that will work but it’s what I had on hand.

image.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
29 minutes ago, WheelhorseBob said:

sure how that will work

Likely fine. 

If it doesn't hold it would be a good idea to replace the lining and use clear silicone. 

• Like 2

rjg854

I've used Gorilla glue and it worked fine ;)  Still doing it's job :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WheelhorseBob

Finally got the K341 back and boy is it pretty! Bored 20, valves ground and head trued. Hot tanked and bead lasted to boot. Who doesn’t love perfect, clean engine parts! Let the build begin.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

Woowoo!!

• Like 2

Bill D

Parts look great!  Are you going to install one of David Kirk's balance plates on the crank?  Or send it to @Greentoredto have the crank balanced?  Whatever you do, leave out the balance gears. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1