Horse Newbie

48 inch Side Discharge Deck Restoration

cleat

So long as you install the washer and clip as shown in the attached file your grease fitting will be safe

48 inch deck owners manual.pdf

Jeff-C175
24 minutes ago, cleat said:

shown in the attached file

Innerestin Cleat!  I wasn't aware that they added that to later tractors.  I'm presuming it's later tractors, because mine don't have the hole for the pin, I had to drill them... but that's EXACTLY what I did to mine!

Found the pic...

image.png

@Horse Newbie

• Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

I could not get a wrench on the hex shape on the bottom of the spindle shafts so I used a torque wrench on  the blade nut, and a boxed wrench on the pulley nut, and tightened against each other at 90 ft/lbs… that is all I could get.

Did not get the blade nuts to 100 ft/lbs, but by golly 90 ft/lbs should be enough.

F80ED0EE-6408-4757-B49F-A9F724DD1A9B.jpeg

F40431A4-6312-45CA-9861-01DC8DFF1E84.jpeg

Jeff-C175
11 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

not get the blade nuts to 100 ft/lbs

Need more spinach Popeye!

I just replaced some subframe bushings on a Monte Carlo...  140 ft lbs !  Gosh golly that's hard to achieve.  Thankfully I could reach them with the car on the ground and my foot braced against the tire.  CLICK!!!  oops, that was my ELBOW, not the torque wrench!  :omg:

Horse Newbie

@Jeff-C175,

Are you aware of any lubrication being put on these plastic washers that the idler pulley slide bar rides in ?

F2552702-2BF0-456E-BA1B-7C201D9ED0E1.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie

Blasterdad
50 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

@Jeff-C175,

Are you aware of any lubrication being put on these plastic washers that the lid let pulley slide bar rides in ?

F2552702-2BF0-456E-BA1B-7C201D9ED0E1.jpeg

No lube, just attracts crud, I just replaced mine on the 48 deck, most of us run with the belt cover off so we can clean everything after using it. I blow everything out with compressed air. The cover will hold in crud & moisture. If you"re worried about OSHA & feel you need it on rig something up so you can take it off easily to keep it clean & DRY in there.

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

any lubrication

I don't lube mine.  I think that's one of the places where any lube would cause dirt to stick and that would not be good.  The plastic slides quite well without lube.  Don't tighten the bolts too tight!  Just snug enough to hold the parts.  Don't want to squash the bushing.

• Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Blasterdad said:

most of us run with the belt cover off

That would be an interesting poll question.

My answer: Covers on, but after each use I hose it all off, and since I have the blower out anyway, it also gets air blasted to dry it out, then it sits in the sun for a few hours before I put 'er up.  Haven't had any problems with this procedure for decades now.

(there, I fixed it.  Happy now?)

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie

Another question @Jeff-C175 and @Blasterdad… can you all tell me how this spring attaches… over from one side, through the middle ?

A picture would be appreciated…

I know I’m gonna catch a fit trying to stretch that spring !

898FE8CA-0AB1-4DD2-9DB1-B121B39A0833.jpeg

E88A350F-E791-4FB6-BC64-FCF2485F7BBE.jpeg

Horse Newbie

I looked at how the spring end was on the 42 inch SD deck from the Work Horse… got her on, but I had to use the Nylock “spring keeper” nut upside down to engage the Nylock part of the nut. I used the same length bolt that came off… guess the new Nylock nuts were a tad taller…

6B40E3C8-9D4A-4F65-B21D-062ED278ED25.jpeg

7C373492-C634-4CB0-8605-7EF2B3F7F59A.jpeg

CC4FE6B0-6147-4D37-8203-4244CBBBA3FD.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie

Horse Newbie

Got a little blood blister stretching that spring…

70780F5E-2FA0-488E-8121-92C273FFDB10.jpeg

• Sad 1

Blasterdad
57 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

That would be an interesting poll question.

My answer: Covers on, but after each use I hose it all off, and since I have the blower out anyway, it also gets air blasted to dry it out, then it sits in the sun for a few hours before I put 'er up.  Haven't had any problems with this procedure for decades now.

If you are going to quote me please don't change  what I said, I said covers off in my post. There was a thread years ago about on or off, wasn't trying to get the pot stirred up again.

Now back to the task at hand... Just happen to be working on one right now... The spring goes on the side AWAY from the belt so it wont rub on it. Spring goes on the  post first then in the hole on the bracket as shown... I use a trampoline spring puller that come with the kids old trampoline, the reason I use that order is I just took one off tha was installed opposite, had to pull it off from the post bolt, it was a b***h.

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

Edited by Blasterdad
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie

Have another problem…. I installed all the spindle parts the way they came new- unlined except for maybe a little bit of grease.

I was wondering about if grease would work it’s way down and up to the bearings with that small hole in the bearing spacer…

grease gun EXTREMELY HARD to pump… any ideas on how to proceed ?

ADC527F8-8847-4720-8D00-D34A624FF668.jpeg

Jeff-C175
29 minutes ago, Blasterdad said:

If you are going to quote me please don't change  what I said, I said covers off in my post.

I didn't change anything... the part that I quoted was straight from your post, exactly.  Relax!

I wasn't arguing with you, just thought it would be interesting to see what the 'common consensus' was on your point.  I know what you said, I can read!  :ychain:

I'm not "most of us" apparently, because I run with my covers ON, as I wrote.

Edited by Jeff-C175

Jeff-C175

@Horse Newbie

I install the spring exactly as you have shown, and it's easier to do it with the belt NOT installed, that inch makes a difference!

image.png.15aab9446ab3e67da8118b966e54e3cb.png

I think the difference in the bolt height may be due to the steel washers.  Some guys use them, some don't.

If you took the washers off, you would probably find that the bolt fits just fine.  You could in fact run that bolt all the way down and let the spring rest on the notch created between the two nuts.

• Like 1

Blasterdad
2 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I didn't change anything... the part that I quoted was straight from your post, exactly.  Relax!

I wasn't arguing with you, just thought it would be interesting to see what the 'common consensus' was on your point.  I know what you said, I can read!  :ychain:

I'm not "most of us" apparently, because I run with my covers ON, as I wrote.

Please re- read post #358

Jeff-C175
4 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

grease gun EXTREMELY HARD to pump

All three of them the same?  Not as simple as a 'stuck' zerk?

I'm guessing you removed the 'factory' grease?  Did you repack the bearings when you reinstalled the spindles?

That 'collar' inside the spindles has to be the right way around for the grease to get down into the spindle.  I believe if you install it upside down it blocks the grease hole inside.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
3 minutes ago, Blasterdad said:

Please re- read post #358

Why are you arguing?

Let's try this again...

image.png.41c7a6928899e2e63eda97c7ffd2f38c.png

IF we took a poll, my answer would be:  COVERS ON.

Is that better?

I'm not "most of us".

Edited by Jeff-C175

Blasterdad
1 minute ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Why are you arguing?

Because it WAS changed, READ THE QUOTE #358

Horse Newbie
1 minute ago, Jeff-C175 said:

All three of them the same?  Not as simple as a 'stuck' zerk?

I'm guessing you removed the 'factory' grease?  Did you repack the bearings when you reinstalled the spindles?

That 'collar' inside the spindles has to be the right way around for the grease to get down into the spindle.  I believe if you install it upside down it blocks the grease hole inside.

I did not take the spindle assemblies apart… I looked down inside of the assemblies when I got them from @76c12091520h/ Brian. I did not see what looked like any amount of grease that would  be worth taking them apart over to remove. I figured with me putting in  the Lucas red sticky, it would be okay.

Guess I’m gonna have to disassemble and check things out… :ranting:

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, Blasterdad said:

Because it WAS changed, READ THE QUOTE #358

OK...  so I missed a word.  I FIXED IT!  please relax, I'm sorry I pissed you off.  

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
Just now, Horse Newbie said:

I’m gonna have to disassemble and check things out…

First pull the zerk and make sure it's not stuck.  Maybe take a sharp point and see if the ball presses down OK.

• Like 2

Blasterdad
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

OK...  so I missed a word.  I FIXED IT!  please relax, I'm sorry I pissed you off.  

Wasn't PO, we're both just trying to help Horse Newbie, who is doing a BEAUTIFUL resto job on that deck!!! Sorry for jacking up the thread, ALL GOOD. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie

Hey guys, now that this is over, thanks for all of you guys help!

I’ll say this and I have a deck to finish…

I think Jeff did quote something, but he only quoted part of it… no foul as I see it, and I knew what both of you were trying to say. 
Jeff , I think was just using part of what Blasterdad said to “point to” the fact that let’s get others ideas about whether they use belt guards, or not… that’s how I interpreted what Jeff said…

Blasterdad

The tolerance in those new spindles will be very tight, grease will be hard to pump in there, run that beauty a couple of times then give it a little shot of grease, you should be good. :)

• Thanks 1