kpinnc

523-H high roller

ebinmaine

Beautiful mo-chine Sir!!

Is there a specific work plan in mind? 

kpinnc
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Not sure. Originally I assumed this would carry the 60SD and the Exmark 48 with ease. The tire combos gave me extra clearance underneath, but both of those decks are bleeping heavy! 

I'll figure out something. All my tractors work, even if it's light duty. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
43 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Not sure. Originally I assumed this would carry the 60SD and the Exmark 48 with ease. The tire combos gave me extra clearance underneath, but both of those decks are bleeping heavy! 

What's the Exmark 48? Front or Mid Mount?

• Like 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

What's the Exmark 48? Front or Mid Mount?

Casters are gone. Got a WH adjuster now, but I don't have a pic.

IMG_20210724_150154388.jpg

• Like 2

kpinnc

Had it out again today. The hydro pedal was too tight, so I replaced the bronze bushing and polished the portion of the peg it rides on. Made a big difference. 

But I still might move it back towards the rear another inch or so. I'm 6 feet tall, and have to stretch to get full forward...

IMG_20240325_133359081.jpg

IMG_20240325_133606222_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

kpinnc
Posted (edited)

Hopefully the third time is the charm. Made up another bracket so the pedal is moved back about 2 inches. Definitely more comfortable, and full range is easier now. 

I gotta pick up some shorter bolts, but this seems to be finished.

Wishing I didn't notch the foot rest so much, because it doesn't make contact. Oh well, good enough...

IMG_20240325_212736798.jpg

IMG_20240325_212723082.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

RED-Z06

I still need those front tires🤣🤣

kpinnc
4 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

I still need those front tires🤣🤣

I love the look and ride, but must admit they add some definite weight to the steering effort. None of my "520" front ends have reduction steering as with the 1991 and later models. This tractor could benefit from that! 

• Like 1

RED-Z06
17 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

I love the look and ride, but must admit they add some definite weight to the steering effort. None of my "520" front ends have reduction steering as with the 1991 and later models. This tractor could benefit from that! 

Tri-Ribs would fix that

• Like 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

Tri-Ribs would fix that

Yep. Got the Firestone ones on the Bronco. Even with that cast iron K321 and 115lbs of suitcase weights, the tractor steers like it has power steering. Like an old Jeep! :D

IMG_20230814_195926634.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Easton Rich
On 3/24/2024 at 6:09 AM, ebinmaine said:

Beautiful mo-chine Sir!!

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2

kpinnc

Not sure if the 523-H will mow or not. At least not under the tractor. That's an odd thing to me because the actual build was intended for increasing cut height.

Now I'm leaning towards making the grader setup on it. Who knows, I'll probably change my mind several times... :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

kpinnc
Posted (edited)

Found I had a leaky o-ring on the rear lift cylinder hose, spent a few minutes replacing it. 

Really I just wanted an excuse to put up another picture of this thing because I like it so much... :P It's a bleeping beast! Forgive the dumb thumb in the corner. :handgestures-thumbdown:

IMG_20240325_133616597_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240325_133555118_HDR.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

kpinnc
Posted (edited)

Almost ashamed to post this... I completely missed something on this build. Nearly every nut, bolt, and seal has been replaced on this tractor. 

I always do an OSI (obvious, um stuff inspection) before any project. And I did with this one. I checked the axle spindles, and they were nice and snug. What never occurred to my tiny mind was big tires + 500lbs of tractor will multiply "snug" considerably. This thing had the heaviest steering I've ever seen. So today I fixed it.

The thrust bearings in the axle were so gunked up that they were almost unrecognizable. The grease had dried out, so no amount of lube could reach them. And they were worn to the point that the axle rubbed the knuckle on top. So I picked up a new set, cleaned everything and installed them. I picked the two best "old" races and put them in the bottom as .030 shims. Gap created is just large enough to have no contact now. Pumped full of grease and installed top caps. It steers so much better! Doesn't feel heavy at all now. 

I may still add reduction steering. Not sure yet.

Of course I feel like a dummy for missing something like that, but fixed is fixed! :thumbs:

IMG_20240328_134934390_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240328_134655214.jpg

IMG_20240328_134711677.jpg

IMG_20240328_143748334.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 5

kpinnc

Added my own tweak on the park brake. Modified a thumb throttle lever from an ATV... :rolleyes:

Pressed in a steel bushing for a little more strength. Works great. Brake is set in the pic, hence the nose up position. 

IMG_20240328_172200077.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1