porschpow

Replacing instrument cluster gauges

porschpow

Good evening y’all!!

i found a post about someone needing help replacing gauges on the dash on these models. It kept dating to bend back the plastic dash cover. What other ways are there?

My tractor is a 1997

Tuneup

They'll be along soon but, Welcome!, from a former New Jerseyan. I last lived there in Great Meadows, just over the hill from y'all. I expect the old Simplicity is still mowing that yard at 4 Queen Anne Lane...

lynnmor

I have had success by removing all screws, then heating the plastic with a hair dryer so it is flexible enough to get a gauge out.

porschpow
1 hour ago, Tuneup said:

They'll be along soon but, Welcome!, from a former New Jerseyan. I last lived there in Great Meadows, just over the hill from y'all. I expect the old Simplicity is still mowing that yard at 4 Queen Anne Lane...

Haha nice!  You used to live near Shades of Death Road!

Probably!  I love this part of Jersey!  Thank you!

porschpow
41 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I have had success by removing all screws, then heating the plastic with a hair dryer so it is flexible enough to get a gauge out.

Yeah I had tried to bend the plastic, but started worrying that I might break it!  I will try to heat the plastic and steal my wife's hair dryer!

I guess the other way is to remove the steering shaft and two levers next to it.

lynnmor
7 hours ago, porschpow said:

Yeah I had tried to bend the plastic, but started worrying that I might break it!  I will try to heat the plastic and steal my wife's hair dryer!

I guess the other way is to remove the steering shaft and two levers next to it.

Yes, you will never bend it far enough unless it is hot.  Steering wheels are usually ready to fall off of they rusted fast.

porschpow

Yes, thanks folks!  I was able to weasel it out.  I figure I would just clean and tighten all contacts for all gauges.

porschpow

I was able to replace and fix the gauges! Thank you all!

Ran into another problem. WHen I turn the ignition the lights in the dash came on for a brief second and all went out. I checked the three fuses by the battery and they’re all fine, headlights work. No idea what’s going on

EricF

Normal behavior on the later 520's (without the "Test" switch) is for the lights to all come on when the ignition is first turned on, then immediately all go out unless a particular light is actively being triggered. It sounds like the normal behavior. If in doubt, double-check the wiring and grounds for any circuit that you expect to activate a light.

gwest_ca

Download this file. There is one diagram there for just the starter circuit.

Handy Don
On 5/11/2021 at 10:47 AM, EricF said:

Normal behavior on the later 520's (without the "Test" switch) is for the lights to all come on when the ignition is first turned on, then immediately all go out unless a particular light is actively being triggered. It sounds like the normal behavior. If in doubt, double-check the wiring and grounds for any circuit that you expect to activate a light.

Exactly!

Just like in your car. The lights all go on so you can see that none are burned out. Then, any that stay lit are telling you about a problem.