kpinnc

The whatchamacallit

Bill D

Could you post some pics of how you mounted the Briggs Vanguard engine.  I know someone who has a 16 HP for sale.  I would like to see close-ups of how it was installed.

kpinnc

Keep in mind this mount is higher than it needs to be for this tractor. It was originally on a hydro, so the PTO is about 1/2 inch higher than it needs to be. I'll be rebuilding this one to be lower. The belt guard is the determining factor on this. Since it is part of the "clutch" on a manual transmission, it needs to line up.

I modify stuff all the time, but I'm not a fan of drilling holes in the frame. I used a mount plate from a 520, and welded up a "H" or "I" shaped square tubing that supports the footprint of the engine. The top plate has studs welded into it so I didn't have to mess with more bolts. Basically if you can raise the engine 1/2 inch for manual and 1 inch for a hydro you should be fine. Just make sure the engine base is supported well. I've heard of people breaking the base on these engines because they didn't support the base completely.

Don did this repower on one of his tractors, and used flat bar for the support. I'll be making one similar to his so it is at the correct height for a manual.

IMG_20210805_223501857.jpg

• Like 1

Bill D
On 7/24/2021 at 10:23 PM, kpinnc said:

Right side. This thing shoots clippings 15 feet or more, in all directions. I may need to make a guard for it...

Sorry for all the posts. I keep getting the 8 meg warning on pics.

IMG_20210724_162422908.jpg

Any video of it in action?  I would love to see and hear it.

• Like 1

Lee1977

SAM-0216.jpg

I broke the right corner mount off a 16 Vanguard by dropping off a bank. That's why i went to the solid mount.

It's 1/2" x 2" cross bars with a 3/8" plate under the engine. 

Had it welded back on but it always leaked got it too hot and a crack open up, didn't catch it in time.

• Like 1

kpinnc

That's why I'll be doing something like Don's. Far simpler and neater than what I did.

DoctorHfuhruhurr
On 7/24/2021 at 9:44 PM, kpinnc said:

So far as performance- we've had alot of rain, and I was determined not to mow the inner front yard until I finished this thing. The grass was downright embarrassing. It was about 18 inches in a few spots. The oversize belt would occasionally slip, but otherwise this thing chews it and spits the clippings about 15 feet. No clumping whatsoever. And no I did not rake up any clippings.

IMG_20210724_160048857.jpg

It's time for a hay bailer attachment 

• Like 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, DoctorHfuhruhurr said:

It's time for a hay bailer attachment

Yeah, at the time my wife said she didn't care if the deck was built or not- it was past time by a long shot.

• Haha 2

Lee1977

Have you had any time to get the big tractor running. I got mine and bush hogged rough area for my neighbor that bought our farm. i have drained and flushed the transmission and refilled. Still need to do the same to the finial drives

Here is an old picture of mine.

SAM-0375.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

kpinnc
10 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Have you had any time to get the big tractor running. I got mine and bush hogged rough area for my neighbor that bought our farm. i have drained and flushed the transmission and refilled. Still need to do the same to the finial drives

No sir, it's still sitting there looking all sad by the barn. I hope to get into it this winter. We shall see!

• Like 1

kpinnc

Got a tiny bit done tonight after dinner. We had a thunderstorm, so the African heat broke for at least a little while.

I decided that give these Deestone tri ribs a try. I'll probably move the sawtooth tires over to the 867. I think they'll look better on it. I also flopped the axle seals around so the air valves are on the backside where they belong. 

And if you haven't already got one- the mini tire changer from Harbor freight is the best $40 I've ever spent. I removed and replaced two tires in 15 minutes, and it was the first time I've used it. I normally HATE changing tires. This thing is awesome!

IMG_20210814_233508013.jpg

IMG_20210814_233023129.jpg

IMG_20210814_233320152.jpg

• Like 3

Handy Don
12 hours ago, kpinnc said:

And if you haven't already got one- the mini tire changer from Harbor freight is the best $40 I've ever spent. I removed and replaced two tires in 15 minutes, and it was the first time I've used it.

Good to know!

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
20 hours ago, kpinnc said:

the mini tire changer from Harbor freight.

Have one...broke it...fixed it.

It did fairly well on my two front 8" wheels...the back ...not so much...still useful though !

Edited by Horse Newbie

kpinnc

Gonna make an addition to the rear end of this machine, and change how the lift works. Had to drill out the spot welds to get the plate out. 

I hoped that it wouldn't take completely drilling through, but the were darn good welds.

More to come.

IMG_20210822_201136962.jpg

IMG_20210822_201140597.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2

kpinnc

Couple small things added this week. 

I found an old style intake in a parts box that fits under the hood. But I modified a remote air filter intake just in case. Pictures of both below.

IMG_20210905_122409077.jpg

IMG_20210905_135456139.jpg

IMG_20210905_135449491.jpg

• Like 1

kpinnc

Also toying with some mods to the back of the tractor. Wondering just how much I can pick up with manual lift...

Of course this is only mock up. A full internal structure has to be added to be worthwhile.

IMG_20210905_140552946.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

Look around for a spot weld cutter for your next spot weld disassembly project.  They only cut through one layer.  Eastwood, amount others has them.

• Like 1

kpinnc
22 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Look around for a spot weld cutter for your next spot weld disassembly project.  They only cut through one layer.  Eastwood, amount others has them.

Not had to deal with spot welds often, but these were far more solid than most I've seen.  I'll use the holes to stick the internal in nice and solid this time.

Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

19richie66
On 9/9/2021 at 12:01 AM, kpinnc said:

Couple small things added this week. 

I found an old style intake in a parts box that fits under the hood. But I modified a remote air filter intake just in case. Pictures of both below.

IMG_20210905_135456139.jpg

I put one of those on my Hesston. Hard to find as they changed the design. I had to mod the bottom plate to fit my carburetor also. 

E31293B4-EDE7-406F-B84C-A8809D07A274.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

kpinnc
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:
On 9/9/2021 at 12:01 AM, kpinnc said:

I put one of those on my Hesston. Hard to find as they changed the design. I had to mod the bottom plate to fit my carburetor also. 

Nice install!

From a mowing perspective- I'm surprised how well a Donaldson filter works. Mowing in a dusty field will coat a traditional "donut" filter to the point of completely clogging it up. The Donaldsons stay much cleaner. Very cool design!

• Thanks 1

kpinnc

Not much going on with this one. I can only keep track of one build at a time!

...but I did get the turnbuckles cleaned up with new zerks, castle nuts, and boots, and the front end adjustments done.

IMG_20211001_093317913.jpg

IMG_20211001_093220769.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 3

kpinnc

Forgot to mention- I made a steering shaft instead of using the stock 520 part. It's more narrow at the bolt holes that the 520, and I didn't realize how much more range it would give. Ought to make for a great turning radius!

IMG_20211001_093220769~2.jpg

IMG_20211010_124221651.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
26 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Forgot to mention- I made a steering shaft instead of using the stock 520 part. It's more narrow at the bolt holes that the 520, and I didn't realize how much more range it would give. Ought to make for a great turning radius!

On my 520 chassis, the spindle arms hit the limit blocks cast into axle to limit the turning radius. Did you grind those off/down?

I suspect the change you made will somewhat affect the Ackerman distances, too, so you might see some scrubbing of one tire when turning.

• Like 1

kpinnc
23 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Did you grind those off/down?

No sir, they are still there. Maybe it's just the skinny wheels that make the turn seem sharper.

• Like 1

Snoopy11
11 hours ago, kpinnc said:

IMG_20211010_124221651.jpg

Zee beauty! :greetings-clapyellow:

Don

• Like 1

kpinnc

Piddled around with some mock up today. I got alot of fabrication to do before assembly, but it's nice to have an idea of how it all comes together. There are parts from several tractors in this thing.

-Fender from a Charger.

-Frame from a 12/ 8 speed.

-Console from a 8/ 4 speed.

-Front axle from a 1990 520.

-No clue where the hood came from.

Had to make sure they all fit...

IMG_20230206_115714221.jpg

• Excellent 4