ebinmaine

"Economy" welding rod?

ebinmaine

Would you folks mind sharing your experiences or opinions of INEXPENSIVE welding rods?

Are there some you like a lot?

Are there some that you'd never use again?

HF in particular. Anyone use them?

Particular types would be 6011, 6013, 7014.

Pullstart

I have been using their TIG rod on my 520Xi loader and it works just fine.  I’d be willing to give their sticks a shot too if the need was there..  

• Like 1

ranger

I think, it’s a classic case of, “You get what you pay for”. Some types of “rod” will only work properly on DC, most AC rods will work on either AC or DC. Some DC only rods don’t like Inverter welders, and prefer generator types. Having said this, the quality or “Brand” of welder seems to play a large part (mig welders especially). 6013 rods seem to work Quite well on any welding sets I’ve used, but again “brand” names seem to run smoother, (Esab, Murex, etc), I’ve also had good results with “Forge” 6011’s on either polarity.

Doug.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, ranger said:

I think, it’s a classic case of, “You get what you pay for”. Some types of “rod” will only work properly on DC, most AC rods will work on either AC or DC. Some DC only rods don’t like Inverter welders, and prefer generator types. Having said this, the quality or “Brand” of welder seems to play a large part (mig welders especially). 6013 rods seem to work Quite well on any welding sets I’ve used, but again “brand” names seem to run smoother, (Esab, Murex, etc), I’ve also had good results with “Forge” 6011’s on either polarity.

Doug.

I've been slowly teaching myself to weld over the last couple of years using resources mostly from this site, but also a lot of YouTube and other reading.

Burn some rods. See what I did right or wrong. Do more research. Repeat.

The welder I'm using is a very carefully chosen older model Lincoln tombstone AC buzzbox 225. 

AC only is the reason I chose the numbers of the rods that I listed above.

I've tried Hobart, Forney, and Blue devil brands.

All seem to work fairly well given the understanding that I'm basically brand new at welding.

bc.gold

The key to good welds, practice and dry welding rods, in the old days the pipe line welders had a metal tube attached to the exhaust heat from the exhaust would keep the rods free of moisture.

Welding shops use a rod oven for the same purpose, some backyard welders use a small fridge with a light bulb for the same purpose but I found these containers with the screw on tops work just a well for long term rod storage.

spacer.png

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, bc.gold said:

dry welding rods

I keep my welding rods in the temperature and humidity controlled basement of the house.

The humidity is actually the very reason why I use 7014 instead of 7018.

bc.gold
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I keep my welding rods in the temperature and humidity controlled basement of the house.

The humidity is actually the very reason why I use 7014 instead of 7018.

I use 7018 which is a low hydrogen rod with excellent tensile strength, keep them free of moisture is important, your 7014 rods have a iron powder coating which actually adds as filler these rods can withstand high humidity.

As for the 60 series welding rod we call these farmer rods.

The E6013 welding rod is a multi-purpose rod suitable for welding of mild steel, galvanized steel, and some low alloy steels. Although its coating generates a very stable, forceful spray-like arc, this electrode is not as deep penetrating as the E6011 which can penetrate thick or unclean material.

• Like 2

8ntruck

Reading the thread title, I was expecting to see a discussion about wire coat hangers.....

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

Reading the thread title, I was expecting to see a discussion about wire coat hangers.....

I wouldn't be opposed to trying that if I knew how to make it work right...

Jeff-C175
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've got about 15 pounds of 'em left in this box that I don't need, but they are OLD.  They've been in a sealed plastic bag (but I'm sure not 'hermetic') on a shelf in my garage for ohhhh... maybe almost 40 years?

image.png.b20776b73ffc35e18e260c57f10f7990.png

dry welding rods

Do stick rods 'go bad' like coated brazing rods do?  Or are these still good?

How soon ya need 'em?  (assuming they're still good!) 

They are image.png.e935cc63a09a81f5941645f2b5f830fa.png to a good home.

but 15 lbs shipping might cost ya a couple bucks.

Interested?

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Interested

Yaknow-what?

Shippem. 

I'll bake them for a bit to dry them out and see how they work....

USPS has the Flat Rate Priority Mail.  

If it fits, it ships!

Weight limit is about 70 lbs or so. 

I'd be glad to pay you back for whatever. 

I'll PM my address to you. 

THANKS!

• Like 1