clueless

Johnson Outboard question

clueless

Got this old boat from BIL a couple of years ago with a 1983 85 hp Johnson on it, finally decided to see if I can get it to start it's got 193 hr on it. It hasn't run in 14 years and he said It has less than 4 hr on it when he had it completely serviced and carbs rebuilt, impeller replaced back then. I thought I would see if it turns with my breaker bar before trying to spin it over. Should I remove the plugs and spray little oil or penetrating oil down the cylinders before trying to turn it over by hand? Also once I start trying to start it or if it actually starts what else should I be watching for?   

lynnmor

I would use just a little 2 cycle oil and spin it over a number of times before putting the plugs back in.  After 14 years the oil will have drained from the bearings, so maybe you could pour a small amount of very rich premix in the carbs and spin it over a number of times before starting, again with the plugs out.  Those engines are built well and will stand years of abuse, I would expect no problems.

• Like 2

8ntruck

The marine dealer I take my pontoon to for winterizing recommended that I not start the engine for the first time in the spring out of the water.  Seems a dry start has the possibility of damaging the water pump impeller.  You can get a set of "earmuffs" to let you hook the water pick up ports to a garden hose.

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
8 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

The marine dealer I take my pontoon to for winterizing recommended that I not start the engine for the first time in the spring out of the water.  Seems a dry start has the possibility of damaging the water pump impeller.  You can get a set of "earmuffs" to let you hook the water pick up ports to a garden hose.

:text-yeahthat: Never dry start / run them...

I’d just spray some 2 stroke down the cylinders and run it rich for first tank... :twocents-twocents:

clueless
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Yea, I'm not about to start it with out the muffs on it.