Stormin

C-125 starting problems.

Stormin

Mate of mine over the border in Scotland, was having problems with his C-125. Starter wouldn't turn the engine with the spark plug in, but would with it out. I supplied him with a starter I'd rebuilt. Same result.

That was a few weeks ago. The border has been closed to non essential travel due to covid. It has just been re-opened, so today I went over.

Turn the key and the solenoid just clicked. Shorted out the solenoid with plug out and the engine turned. All but slowly. Plug in and nothing. There was an earth lead from shaker plate to chassis on the front. When I got hold of it the wire just pulled out of the connector. Re-crimped that and try again. No success. Wouldn't turn on the key. Short the solenoid and the engine burst into life and ran sweet as a nut.  

So two faults there. One the poor earth and the other a faulty switch. I have a spare switch I'll take with me sometime during the week. Not sure if that's ok though. If that doesn't work a new switch will be purchased.

Edited by Stormin
  • Excellent 3

stevasaurus

Sounds like a plan nORM.  May your borders be open.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Rob R

Battery sounds like it may be weak and you probably need a new S/Solenoid......  

Edited by Rob R

ranger
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

Mate of mine over the border in Scotland, was having problems with his C-125. Starter wouldn't turn the engine with the spark plug in, but would with it out. I supplied him with a starter I'd rebuilt. Same result.

That was a few weeks ago. The border has been closed to non essential travel due to covid. It has just been re-opened, so today I went over.

Turn the key and the solenoid just clicked. Shorted out the solenoid with plug out and the engine turned. All but slowly. Plug in and nothing. There was an earth lead from shaker plate to chassis on the front. When I got hold of it the wire just pulled out of the connector. Re-crimped that and try again. No success. Wouldn't turn on the key. Short the solenoid and the engine burst into life and ran sweet as a nut.  

So two faults there. One the poor earth and the other a faulty switch. I have a spare switch I'll take with me sometime during the week. Not sure if that's ok though. If that doesn't work a new switch will be purchased.

Wait till Ms Sturgeon gains independence for Scotland Norm, you’ll need to carry your passport in your back pocket at all times, and look at all the paperwork that you’re going to have to fill in, just to take that part over the border! Oh, and I almost forgot, the customs duty as-well. 🙀 All my grandparents were Scottish, although I was born in the UK, I wonder if I’ll be granted dual citizenship?

• Haha 2

squonk

See @Stormin, I'm not as dumb as I look! :helmet:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Stormin
32 minutes ago, ranger said:

Wait till Ms Sturgeon gains independence for Scotland Norm, you’ll need to carry your passport in your back pocket at all times, and look at all the paperwork that you’re going to have to fill in, just to take that part over the border! Oh, and I almost forgot, the customs duty as-well. 🙀 All my grandparents were Scottish, although I was born in the UK, I wonder if I’ll be granted dual citizenship?

I'll get a gyrocopter  and fly across. 15 miles in a straight line. 56 by road. Take off from the green outside my place and land in one of his fields. Visa versa.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
44 minutes ago, squonk said:

See @Stormin, I'm not as dumb as I look! :helmet:

Don't be so hard on the beev ward!!

Stormin
10 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

beev ward!!

Translate please, Randy. :confusion-confused:

The Tuul Crib
2 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Translate please, Randy. :confusion-confused:

You mean Norman you didn't grow up with leave it to beaver?? 

The Tuul Crib

They were always telling a father Ward not to be so hard on the beaver. He was the youngest son on that show. I believe it was in the 60s.

378AC5BB-A691-4799-ACCD-C0E3047B4B2B.png

Edited by The Tuul Crib

squonk

I think nORM is more of a Father Knows Best kinda guy :lol:

• Like 1

Stormin

Didn't have that show over here, Randy. But stevasaurus has mentioned it on several occasions.

Edited by Stormin

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Stormin Heard that you finally got a haircut. What no pictures ? Blame squonk.

• Haha 1

Stormin

:music-headbanger: