Pullstart

Interesting Driving Laws

Pullstart
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've been hit with a bug in the upper chest doing 25 or 30 and that's not even remotely close to what I would call a fun experience. I can't even imagine catching one in the forehead at 50 or 60 or 70.....

I caught square one in the throat once.  Yep.  No fun.

• Like 1

Handy Don
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've been hit with a bug in the upper chest doing 25 or 30 and that's not even remotely close to what I would call a fun experience.

I had a bee get in my bicycle helmet through one of the air vents. The bee was seriously angry and bit me several times before I could stop and get the helmet off. I'm not allergic (that I know, anyway) but that many bites in a few seconds made me woozy and I had to sit on the side of the road for a few minutes until the pain subsided. Luckily I didn't crash from the distraction.

ebinmaine

Ouch 🤕

Stormin

A big fat bubble bee in the teeth is rather unpleasant. Only beaten when riding a motorcycle with an open necked shirt and a wasp pops down.

• Sad 1

EricF

I once discovered that even a full-face helmet won't protect you from getting bugs in the teeth. Had one smack straight into one of the air vents just below the (closed) visor. Yep, bug bits went straight through the little hole. Blech! :blink:

Also had a June bug smack right into the clear shield a and crack it, right in front of my eye. Those things are no joke!

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, EricF said:

clear shield a and crack it,

That would indicate a material not legal to use in some states. 

I've never had a cycle license but I do remember researching it in Maine and Massachusetts. 

Mass (I think???) Had to have lenses of certain materials and safety standard. 30 plus years ago then so who knows now.....

EricF

It was a proper DOT-approved shield on a full-face helmet. Star crack at the point of impact, but no breakage. Just happened to be right in front of my left eye. Looked like the results of hammer-strike/ballistic tests on polycarbonate safety lenses. I'll take buying a new face shield any day over what could have happened with no protection! At 60 Mph a June bug is pretty much like a small stone when it first hits. Those things are tough -- they splat, but only after the hard initial impact.

• Like 3