Brockport Bill

Tank steam cleaners for tractor oil/grease?

Brockport Bill

has anyone used on their tractors those small steam pressure cleaners ( like from Harbor Freight or made by McCulloch ) that are generally for households? People suggest they work on car engine grease/oil etc -- Was wondering if anyone has experience using them for the sticky grease oil build up on WH trannys, or engine, or frame areas

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I've heard the term but I'm not familiar with what they are or how they work so I'll just be sitting over here following along...

Brockport Bill

check out on amazon or you tube McCulloch MC 1275 - that's what i mean - -has attachments for various close in or targeted work - supposedly car detailers etc use them

Brockport Bill

want to clean another tractor i just got -- i want to clean some caked on oil/grease that's hard to get to without taking seat and pan and wheel off  --- clean tranny fins etc -- looking for easier solution than degreaser spray, rags and putty knife etc

ebinmaine

Trina bought us a pressure washer a couple years ago.

Works fantastic even with cold water and some cleanser...If you put hot water into that. Well it's interesting 

oliver2-44

Years ago as a high school tractor shop flunky I spent many hours using a large steam cleaner to clean filthy farm tractors.  It had a steam boiler with a kerosene burner.  This is the 1st I've seen of a small home version.  But I can say steam will clean 

• Like 1

8ntruck

We had a Hotsy steam cleaner at the plant to remove the crud off of the dies before servicing them.  The maintenance guys also used it to clean up parts as they were overhauling and repairing other machinery in the plant.

squonk

Steam itself doesn't clean much. It loosens and softens the crud making it come off easier The industrial cleaner usually have a soap setting to use a caustic soda or something similar. I have used the home steamers before worked ok but you still have to hit it with a strong water spray . The best way I have cleaned gunky engines is:

Hit it with CRC Engine Degreaser. works great and isn't stinky like Gunk Engine Brite. Let it sit for a half hour. Hit it again with CRC and go have a coffee. Then I run hot water thru my pressure washer. I have a tankless water heater and I  can run it as long as I want. 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4

Lee1977

My wife bought one of those things off QVC years ago and only used it once.  I just tried it on under side of the frame of my 520 did very little.

I have already used a putty knife a wire brush and engine cleaner twice. That thing gets to hot to handle steam every where. The attachment on the

end of the handle would not go completely on and turned  a certain way it leaked hot water. I could probley have gotten as much off by wiping with a paper towel. 

stevasaurus

I just run it through one of those car washes that are do-it your self.  A few quarters, pick the soap and turn on the wand.  I have not had anybody tell me that I could not do that there, but I don't go during peak times.  Works great though.:occasion-xmas:

Brockport Bill

thought of the car wash option - would have to take tractor off trailer then wash - etc --- do worry about all that grease down their drains --- i assume they are all engineered and regulated for that based on what comes off a typical car - plus, i have seen some pretty massive commercial equipment being routinely washed in the self wand washers

Brockport Bill

all suggestions are welcomed

8ntruck

Sorry, going off subject here.

@squonk what kind of on demand water heater do you have?  I am considering installing one in our lake house.  How well is yours working for you?

We are running on well water.  I am concerned about calcium build-up in the on demand water heater with the well water.

squonk

I have a Rinnai. Been there for about 6 years. Every fall I circulate white vinegar through it for about an hour to descale it. I'm on city water.