jellyghost

"5 Things You Should Do To Your Kohler K Series Engine Right Now"

jellyghost

I just found this video, and I was clueless about almost everything in this video.  Do you do this to your engines?  Is this overkill?

roadapples

Good idea. Although I  just rebuild the carburetor...

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY DISAGREE with "Replace the carburetor"

No. 

I won't be buying another aftermarket carburetor unless All other possibilities have been attempted. 

Check, clean, and rebuild an old Kohler carburetor. 

If the top throttle bore is worn repair it with appropriate spacers. 

That's particularly concerning because he sells replacement carbs. 

Valve clearance I've never checked. I can see the value in doing so. 

I do like the comment that referred to removing the engine sheet metal and cleaning out the air flow fins. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Mickwhitt

Most of it is good practice, I agree simply replacing the carburettor is not necessary. Servicing the carb should be enough.

A good exterior clean to remove grass from the tins and find is a definite.

Is it necessary to mention that another of the first things should be draining and replacing the engine oil? Its one of the most important components in the engine and often neglected. 

Mick 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

oil

I'd like to think he's confident that most folks would have already changed the oil and air filter. 

Mickwhitt

So would I Eric lol

But I see so many engines where oil is just an afterthought. 

Mick 

• Like 2

WHX??
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY DISAGREE with "Replace the carburetor"

:text-yeahthat: but gotta remember he sells them to. Nothin wrong with tryin to make a honest livin and obviously has no problems with his replacements. .... 

All of his points are valid but often go undone by a new to me :hide: unless I got no other projects going on ... yah right:)

Anybody ID that tractor he's got there? 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

rmaynard
5 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Anybody ID that tractor he's got there? 

Well it's definitely a modified something. I've never seen a stock "raised" battery box. 

WHX??

Exactly why I was wondering Bob...good eye! 

The Tuul Crib

The reason for that battery being so high might be because of then FEL. There's a bracket on the right side of the tractor in that area that leads me to believe that.

wallfish

1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

I've never seen a stock "raised" battery box. 

Maybe it's an illusion or glitch in the matrix :ychain:

1242857181_Floatboat.jpg.5f0c0a7e1e14cf6bcc72caf68ad9a069.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

oliver2-44
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

:text-yeahthat: but gotta remember he sells them to. Nothin wrong with tryin to make a honest livin and obviously has no problems with his replacements. .... 

Sorry to say, I have 2 "replacements from him setting in the scrap pile.  When I contacted him about them I got a lot of questions about rings, valve leakage, leak down test, breather dirty, etc.  Both of the engines I tried to put them on may be a little tired.  But the fact is both of those engines run just fine today with rebuilt Kohler carbs on them I got from A-Z. 

Today if when I see a used Kohler K on Craigslist for cheap, I'm buying it for parts, especially if it has a carb on it. 

• Like 5

jellyghost

I am a little shy to open up and look at the piston head.  Maybe I just need to get over it.

I was wondering how important it is to replace the points and condenser.  I have never done that, and it looked pretty doable.

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, jellyghost said:

I am a little shy to open up and look at the piston head.  Maybe I just need to get over it.

I was wondering how important it is to replace the points and condenser.  I have never done that, and it looked pretty doable.

Don't be too worried about doing the cylinder head removal. It's pretty cut and dry.

Points and condenser on a Kohler engine? There are others that may disagree with this but I do not mess with them until they are messing with me.

If we're doing a rebuild like when we're putting one of the tractors together I'll run a file through the points but that's about it.

I've heard it time and time again that the newer style points even from Kohler themselves just don't last as long. 

• Like 1

squonk

Here's one that nobody thinks about. Pull the flywheel and clean off the stator! :helmet:

IMG_20210416_124958214.jpg.01d3f6174ab4209c3fa4e0df0fa02ca8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1