OutdoorEnvy

Steering Assembly question for 312-8

OutdoorEnvy

Hey folks, recently picked up a 312-8 and am needing some assistance with how the steering shaft sleeve cover fits to the dash plate.  I've seen some diagrams for parts and this area isn't specified for assembly.  Seems it's missing two screws at the least but there doesn't appear to be holes for them in the cover part that's hanging down.  Unless they are just really long and I can't see them cause of the angle.  Thought maybe it could be missing a bracket or plate of some sort as well.  Any help or pics of what it should look like would be appreciated.   thanks for your time

74115429_pic12.jpg.88a0ffc097fcc7933c5d0705f3e9eb94.jpg

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square !!  I know horses are scarce down there, but we do have a bunch of members from OK scattered around that state.

I checked a manual for a 312-8 and the one I looked at does not really show how all that goes together.  I think your steering shaft is probably not in the right place down by the knuckle...messing up your alignment.  It also looks like the piece between the tower and the piece by the steering wheel is not in place either.

We have a bunch of 312-8 guys out there, they will hop in here and get you fixed up.  :occasion-xmas:  There may be some pictures in the gallery or you can search by typing 312-8 in the box.

oliver2-44

Please post a picture of the inside of the dash tower. Something doesn't look right with the steering shaft laying so low.

As far as the black plastic cove over the exposed shaft I think mine just sits there. There might be some tabs on the bottom where those screws are that hold the bottom in place.   

pfrederi

Make sure yu r two collars are adjusted to hold the steerig column into the steering supports and snugly around the hoodstand frame. 

steer.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

• Like 4

OutdoorEnvy

Thanks for the comments and yes that is the diagram I came across.  Yeah it's all hanging down loose out of place as it is.  I can easily lift it into place where it looks like it should be.  I just don't know if it's 2 sheet metal screws you put in and the cover just kind of rest on it and holds it in place, or if there are 2 screws that actually thread into that plastic part.  If I know what the 2 screws were, and how long, I would know how to fix it. 

• Like 1

Lee1977

Could be the bushing and the column support hole is worn out or broken.. Happens to 300 series tractors quite often, 

The fix is to bolt in a flange bearing I used the same bearing front of the steering shaft that supports that runs under the engine.

Some use a flanged ball bearing. I used Toro number 6472.

SAM-1015.jpg

SAM-0972.jpg

OutdoorEnvy

Here is a pic from under the hood.  Looks like a little welding is in order at some point.  But does anyone know what two screws I need that are missing? 

pic13.jpg.cd328f6e80fe1410fdc259cf559c64e4.jpg

Edited by OutdoorEnvy

pfrederi

2 sheet metal screws that will fit tight in the holes.They just stick into the gaps on the plastic sleeve and keep it from slipping down.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Thanks 1

OutdoorEnvy

Anyone know the steering shaft diameter size?  I'm thinking it's 3/4" but can't find anything to verify that.  I am going to go with a flange bearing for the repair and want to know the shaft diameter so I can order the right flange bearing ID size.

Also any tips on the the steering shaft removal to make this repair?

Lee1977

You have to remove the steering wheel. Looking at the rust under your hood that isn't going to be easy. Then loosen the collar and slide it down. I never got my steering wheel off.

I cut the steering shaft and put it back together with a sleeve. Water had got under the steering wheel cover and rusted every thing solid.