Dennis C.

37" mower deck cutting

Dennis C.

I picked up this Wheels Horse 312-8 with a 37" side discharge deck.   All summer long I noticed that the deck didn't cut in the middle.

There would always be  a swath of grass in the4 middle that wasn't cut. So I would have to make a 2nd pass over the lawn. Any ideas?

I'm running the engine at 3/4 throttle when I cut in 2nd gear.

oldlineman

Should be running full throttle. Maybe needs sharpened, middle blade nut loose could be a lot of things. You need to take it off and look it over, some pictures will help us help you. Bob

• Like 4

is the blade on upsidedown? 

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH

Always cut at Full throttle

Check blade sizes

Sharpen Blades

Confirm blades are all on correctly.

Spin with no belts - make sure smooth operation...

Check adjustment settings and deck angle...

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 3

Brockport Bill

i have virtually the same tractor since  I bought it new in 1989 - 32 years of good service - its the 312-8 with 37 inch side discharge --- depending on your lawn and yard size the 37 inch is great - very nimble --- i have 4/10ths acre - mow 1-2-3 times per week depending on season - I mow in 2nd gear at pretty tall cut height setting -- but always full throttle -- don't take much off except top 30 percent of grass blade ---- best for health of lawn -- if you are trying to cut 50 percent to 75 percent of blade height then that's too much for the deck as well as the health of the lawn --- if on occasion the lawn is tall i go down to 1st gear - important suggestion --- be sure to clean under deck after each use -- especially the clump of grass that sticks to underneath front of shell right in the middle - or the cut will loose quality, and likely leave that "uncut" section in the middle because the grass gets pushed down by the clump build up under front of deck  before blade can cut it -- plus, the air flow is reduced meaning the lift of grass reduced - and especially if you are cutting tall grass or doing heavy leaves. Just bend down - reach in and use a putty knife -- scrape that clump off -- and every 2-3-4 uses clean entire deck with pressure washer

• Like 2

Brockport Bill

how frequently do you clean under the deck?

dcrage

With only 2 blades on that deck it is possible to ‘miss’ a small strip when turning (some weird geometry going on with older blades). You also are overloading the deck capacity at that ground speed with that throttle setting. WH is very explicit about running at full throttle (3400 rpms) and I assume that was expected when the decks were designed by WH engineers. 

• Like 2

Dennis C.
On 4/12/2021 at 1:54 PM, oldlineman said:

Should be running full throttle. Maybe needs sharpened, middle blade nut loose could be a lot of things. You need to take it off and look it over, some pictures will help us help you. Bob

Once I can get the tractor outside I will take the deck off and see what's going on.

• Like 1

Dennis C.
On 4/12/2021 at 5:04 PM, SylvanLakeWH said:

Always cut at Full throttle

Check blade sizes

Sharpen Blades

Confirm blades are all on correctly.

Spin with no belts - make sure smooth operation...

Check adjustment settings and deck angle...

:twocents-twocents:

I did level the deck front to back and side to side. As soon as the weather breaks I'll take the deck off and check the underside and blades. Are both blades the same length?

• Like 1

Dennis C.
On 4/12/2021 at 5:47 PM, Brockport Bill said:

i have virtually the same tractor since  I bought it new in 1989 - 32 years of good service - its the 312-8 with 37 inch side discharge --- depending on your lawn and yard size the 37 inch is great - very nimble --- i have 4/10ths acre - mow 1-2-3 times per week depending on season - I mow in 2nd gear at pretty tall cut height setting -- but always full throttle -- don't take much off except top 30 percent of grass blade ---- best for health of lawn -- if you are trying to cut 50 percent to 75 percent of blade height then that's too much for the deck as well as the health of the lawn --- if on occasion the lawn is tall i go down to 1st gear - important suggestion --- be sure to clean under deck after each use -- especially the clump of grass that sticks to underneath front of shell right in the middle - or the cut will loose quality, and likely leave that "uncut" section in the middle because the grass gets pushed down by the clump build up under front of deck  before blade can cut it -- plus, the air flow is reduced meaning the lift of grass reduced - and especially if you are cutting tall grass or doing heavy leaves. Just bend down - reach in and use a putty knife -- scrape that clump off -- and every 2-3-4 uses clean entire deck with pressure washer

I cut with the deck all the way up. I too like my grass taller as it doesn't dry out. As soon as the weather breaks I'll remove the deck and clean and check blades. Thanks.

peter lena

dennis, does this deck have a belt tensioner? have you removed the deck to verify total operational function at any clean out time ? when I drop any of my decks for cleaning and inspection I always look for any issues, do you have the correct blades on it? having that uncut cutting  area is not correct , the over lap of blades should give you an even cut . often problems are hiding in plane sight . check your deck specifications against what you have , also agree with your regular clean out , what a concept. I  regularly add some sun time to that and oil soaking to stop rust . let us know what you find , pete   

• Like 1

Dennis C.

Pete, I haven't taken the deck off yet, hopefully next week if the weather is dryer. Are the blades the same length or different? I'll look Monday, but I don't think there is a belt tensioner, just the mule drive set up.

Dennis C.

Thanks for all the replies. Today I dropped the deck. Blades are new and installed correctly. Actually this deck is in awesome condition on the inside. Bearing housings appear to be new and well greased. The item  that appeared weak was the tension spring for the idler pulley. Today I'll check to see if i can buy a new one. I'll let the group know if cutting improves.

• Like 1

Dennis C.

OK, I found the issue with the deck. The deck belt was  strung backwards over the PTO pulley thus making the deck run backwards. Not sure how that happened as i never removed the deck or belt. Prior to buying the tractor I didn't try the deck out. Now where do i buy a new double V deck belt?? So far most sites say discontinued.

kpinnc

If you can't find the correct belt by WH part number, you might have to go with an aftermarket. The double bevel is just a BBxxx (whatever the length is)- which I apologize for not remembering. 

Some might call blasphemy for my saying so, but an aftermarket is better than a non working mower. It won't last as long as OEM, but it will work for months or more.

• Like 3

Horse Newbie
On 4/16/2021 at 7:52 AM, Dennis C. said:

did level the deck front to back and side to side. 

Don't use the deck as a guide to level...turn the blades perpendicular to the tractor, and on a flat surface measure the distance from the outer blade cutting edge to the floor...should be the same on both sides.

The blades should be anywhere from a 1/8th to 1/4 inch lower in the front

• Like 1

Lee1977

Wheel Horse decks don't cut clean when up in the transport position. They will cut but never clean they will leave some taller grass.

gwest_ca
On 5/11/2021 at 3:38 PM, Dennis C. said:

OK, I found the issue with the deck. The deck belt was  strung backwards over the PTO pulley thus making the deck run backwards. Not sure how that happened as i never removed the deck or belt. Prior to buying the tractor I didn't try the deck out. Now where do i buy a new double V deck belt?? So far most sites say discontinued.

Belt # 111178 is still available from Toro and Stens have a replacement also.

https://www.psep1.biz/arinet.asp#/s/TO//111178/1/

Click on the picture in the link

Another handy one

Garry

clueless

Download the two instructions Gerry posted if you haven't already they will help you with the 37 sd deck. While you have it off the tractor check the four places where the cradle mounts to the deck. Many of these 37 sd deck develop small cracks around them especially the front right (sitting on the tractor) and the rear right. These can cause the deck to flex under load resulting in an uneven cut. If you find a crack even a small one have it welded up properly if not it will only get worse. Also you say you run your deck all the way up if you using the attachment knob, the one under the dash on the left side you a not going to get the proper cut. That knob is not for the deck, make sure it is all the way down when you cut and when you level the deck.

tom2p
On 5/12/2021 at 1:54 PM, Lee1977 said:

Wheel Horse decks don't cut clean when up in the transport position. They will cut but never clean they will leave some taller grass.

I have also found this to be true 

at times I've cut tall grass with the deck in the up / transport position and noticed the quality of the cut was not good 

• Like 2

Dennis C.

Thanks for all the help.  Problem solved and decks cuts as it should.

• Like 1