Mower Man

Best type of gasoline to use

Mower Man

What do you think is the best gasoline to use in your Wheelhorse Garden Tractor  14 HP.

1.  100 LL aviation fuel

2.  Regular Unleaded  Gasoline 87 octane.  

3.  Premium Unleaded gasoline 93 octane

4.  Regular Unleaded Gasoline 87 octane with Stabil added.

5. E15 Gasoline (15% ethanol) (summer blend)

Thanks.  

Edited by Mower Man

DennisThornton

I just try not to use ethanol.  I really try NOT to store ethanol, especially in a small engine gas tank over winter!

Edited by DennisThornton
NOT to store!
  • Like 1

squonk

Premium non ethanol unleaded. I store my tractors with VP 94 octane from TSC

Skwerl58

I use non ethanol 93 octane when available in all my power equipment. When 93 is not available I get what non ethanol I can find, usually 87 octane. I also add Rural King motor treatment to it. The treatment is a Seafoam knock off. 

Achto

High octane fuel does not have any benefit for a stock Kohler as they are not a high compression engine. But 93 octane premium is the only non ethanol gas available in my area so this is what I run.

Most important - Keep ethanol away from your engine if at all possible

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

lynnmor
57 minutes ago, Mower Man said:

What do you think is the best gasoline to use in your Wheelhorse Garden Tractor  14 HP.

1.  100 LL aviation fuel

2.  Regular Unleaded  Gasoline 87 octane.  

3.  Premium Unleaded gasoline 93 octane

4.  Regular Unleaded Gasoline 87 octane with Stabil added.

5. E85 Gasoline (15% ethanol) (summer blend)

Thanks.  

1. Waste of money.

2. Fine if used regularly.

3. Waste of money.

4. Fine if not used regularly.

5. Waste of money even if cheaper. (I think you meant E15)

Ethanol free would be the best if not for the high prices.  I only use it just before a long storage time. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

cschannuth

I use 89 octane with Stabyl in everything all the time and everything starts every time. Some of my tractors sit for months at a time and I’ve been doing this for many years. That and a trickle charger works for all my stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

E85 is 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline.

I'm using what is called recreational gas in this area.  It is ethanol free at about 90 octane.  I usually run 2 oz per gallon of Sea Foam to help muck out the fuel systems.

• Like 1

pacer

Another believer in non ethanol -- NASTY stuff in small engines!

My local wally worlds some 20 yr old Murphy gas station was ripped out down to fresh dirt and they put in a system that on every pump are 5 choices of fuels, the 3 usuals, reg, med, and premium , then there is a diesel, and best of all is a dedicated pump for non ethanol! It runs about 50 cents over regular cost but its worth it to me. I have four 5 gal cans that I top off 2-3 times a year with it.

• Like 1

roadapples

I know our tractors are supposed  to run on regular gas. But what was the octane rating  for regular in the 60's and 70's....

• Like 1

Shynon
1 hour ago, Achto said:

High octane fuel does not have any benefit for a stock Kohler as they are not a high compression engine. But 93 octane premium is the only non ethanol gas available in my area so this is what I run.

Most important - Keep ethanol away from your engine if at all possible

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 3

Mower Man

I meant E15.

Avoid ethanol.

Premium 93 octane without ethanol.

thank you all.

Pullstart

Like @Achto stated, I only run higher octane when there’s higher compression.  Premium fuel in a low compression engine does nothing but burn more cash.  Octane is not performance, it’s anti-detonation before the timing says spark.  

• Like 2

953 nut

Regular gas isn't regular any more, at best it is 90% regular gas and 10% ethanol which will kill your fuel system. Use this site to find 100% unadulterated gas for your :wh:,  https://www.pure-gas.org/

squonk

Chances are any nonethanol is going to be 93 premium. At least around here it is. So you either waste your money burning more expensive gas or waste your money rebuilding carb, fuel pumps and replacing fuel lines. Even the good premium turns crappy after a couple of month's that's why I waste even more money on the expensive VP and Tru-Fuel gas for my tractors that sit a lot. :) I also don't have to take them apart more than once.:banana-wrench:

rmaynard

I have been fueling up small engines since 1959. I use what is recommended by the manufacturer, which in the case of Kohler, the predominant engine of Wheel Horse, is Regular Unleaded, 87 octane or higher. Since I see no significant difference between 87 and 93 other than price, I opt for 87 octane. However, in the fall, as cold weather is approaching, and I know the engines won't be run for awhile, I make my last fill-up Ethanol-Free.

On the subject of additives...most of you know my opinion on them...SNAKE OIL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@cschannuth , agree with you on the Stabil additive , been using it for years add it with any gas , no fuel issues at all . also regularly use my battery tender mounts  ,  keep it simple , pete

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

My father-in-law has a tank of 91 octane ethanol free gas at the farm all the time, so when I need my cans filled that where I go and fill them and just pay him. I run some marvel mystery oil in that the help lubricate the valves in these older engines. I don't use stabil in them anymore since I don't let anything sit around that long. They sit fine with that gas in them over the winter and usually fire right up in the spring if the batter isn't dead and that's usually a big if! That non ethanol gas made a bid difference!

WheelhorseBob

I can get 90-91 octane real gas close by. It is all I run in all outdoor power equipment and my boat. When I had to buy gas with ethanol I used only Startron fuel stable. Most boats around here sit for 7-8 months and Startron is the only stabilizer marinas will recommend.

Tuneup

This is like asking what the best oil is. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I'll vote for using the standard government 10% ethanol fuel during the season because I'll use it. Same in the old 70s Honda which is really sensitive to old gas. If the season ends, either drain it dry and leave it or fill with non-ethanol and a stabilizer. Works for me in the warm climbs of Georgia. If I was in the rust belt, maybe not? YMMV.

BTW, the best oil for the CB550K is Delvac 15W-40 Super :)

haydendavid380

87 non ethanol

Fuel stabilizers are snake oil. 

I'd take 2 year old ethanol free over 1 year old pump gas with what ever junk you put in it, any day of the week. 

(Side note, also keep your cans sealed)