ebinmaine

Bird pics.

Ed Kennell
35 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

EXCELLENT photos Mick! :thumbs:

:text-yeahthat:    :text-thankyouyellow:  for sharing those Mick.

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

more bats

When we did our remodel in the last century one of the jobs was to demolish the old chimney on the side of the house... basically just pushed it over.  When we did so at least 200 bats lost their home.  They were living behind the chimney and they do NOT like being out in the sunlight!   The widder lady next door had bats in her attic.  A LOT of bats!  In the evening it looked like a swarm coming out their entry point, like you see on TV at the bat caves.  I bet there was a thousand of them up there!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Wish we had more bats here. They're fun to watch flying around at dusk. Also really good at getting rid of mosquitoes and other pests.

The tree swallows take care of most of our flying insects.     The bluebird take care of the crawling variety.

102_2223.JPG.18d97f53252a7dce74350dd621fab6d3.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2
  • Heart 3

Mickwhitt

Bat roosts are protected by law here, you don't touch em, you don't look at em, you don't talk about em lol.

Seriously, they are. When I put up my boxes the bat watch people reminded me once they were up, even thought they are fitted to my property, I could not touch them at all. 

Some of the new build houses close to my home have bird houses and bat roosts built into the brickwork.

Mick 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor
24 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

Bat roosts are protected by law here, you don't touch em, you don't look at em, you don't talk about em lol.

Seriously, they are. When I put up my boxes the bat watch people reminded me once they were up, even thought they are fitted to my property, I could not touch them at all. 

Some of the new build houses close to my home have bird houses and bat roosts built into the brickwork.

Mick 

So when they need maintenance you just call the batty watch people and they will be right over?

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Apparently so.... not tried it yet but they assured me they would assist if I needed to move it etc.

We have a few species of bat but no really rare ones near us. Some only feed over water and we are low on ponds since a new housing development was built.

We see barn owls, tawny owls, kestrel, sparrow hawk, buzzard, lots of smaller bird.

This is one of my favourites and least seen. The Bullfinch...

20170725_081151.jpg.46cd08cdec513aa31a797a76787b344d.jpg

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

Here are two goldfinch on a feeder outside the window. Beautiful little birds and very good singers.

20190410_165310.jpg.3b2671eb668538cc9cc4484871b70e4f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Very interesting to see the differences from one continent to another

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
6 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

Bat roosts are protected by law here,

Bats are also protected here, but if they are causing a problem ,it is up to the landowner to take care of the problem.      Our bats can carry rabies.

squonk

Got a robin nest in my extension ladder. Can't use it now! :handgestures-thumbupright:  Goldfinches have arrived as well didn't have the phone when they were at the feeder but they will be back

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Every year when Trina or I spots the Phoebe flycatcher coming back we drop the canoe down on the ground from its upper shelf resting position so they don't nest up inside of it

lynnmor

I may have to remove my bird feeders since we now have a nesting pair of hawks, plus the neighbors cat attacking from all angles.  The bird feeders just bait the song birds into the trap.  Hawks are protected for some reason, does anyone know what they are good for?  The noise they produce is anything but pleasant.

• Sad 1

Jeff-C175
5 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

goldfinch on a feeder

You call them Goldfinches over there Mick?

image.png.bb87a86900b72098e398a6094a29b9f0.png

They look absolutely NOTHING like the New Jersey state bird, Goldfinch!

Perhaps that's why ours are called AMERICAN Goldfinch?

I've got several finch feeders in the yard and they are SWARMING with them right now.  Our Goldfinches are YELLOW with black wings.

(picture stolen from the internet, not mine.)

image.png.76f4221c58a3b5b8da1d9acb767c91be.png

Ahhh, yes, I see now!  Mrs. Google say that yours are called EUROPEAN Goldfinches!  That explains it!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell
17 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

we now have a nesting pair of hawks

Red Tails ?    

Jeff-C175
9 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Red Tails ?    

That seems to be the most predominant here in NJ, there's a nest nearby here.

We also get quite a few Cooper's hawks and one other I haven't ID'd positively yet.  I think it's a Sharp Shin but haven't seen it close enough yet.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

meadowfield

We get a good selection here on the feeder, but goldfinch dominate followed by chaffinch, greenfinch, greater spotted woodpecker, blue t!t (love how it censors this), collared dove and pheasant!!!  

8D7429A8-8D3E-4D3F-8F56-E8F4EBFB6F7D.jpeg

490D5514-D173-4B19-B109-0E9D4CE96B09.jpeg

07A94B23-2B14-43CE-B03F-7956FFBDD348.jpeg

oh we get a lot of moles too!!!!

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

lynnmor
15 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Red Tails ?    

Probably, I haven't got close enough to positively identify them.  They sit in the high trees at least 100 yards away and move on when I walk that way.

Ed Kennell

The red tails don't seem to bother the song birds at my feeders.    Those smaller faster hawks take their share though.    

ebinmaine

Here in the forest we have occasional Cooper's hawks. Rare Sharp-shinned hawks (it's smaller cousin). 

Over head we have all manner of air predators riding the mountain ridge thermals. 

Nesting here on this side of the mountain we have Barred owl, Great horned owl, Red shouldered hawks, Ravens. 

Our yard is really too small for most air attacks though since we've been working on clearing out the back some the barred owls have been watching that area more often. 

We like that a LOT. 

lynnmor

I had smaller hawks last year that were able to fly right in the large and dense holly tree the birds used as a shelter, I only see these larger hawks this year.  I posted this earlier this year of one of these hawks taking a squirrel, this one may not be a red tail.  I do see feathers in the woods where the small birds are consumed.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I had the trail cam on some trout carcasses the last couple days.

Red Fox

WGI_0196.JPG.df6e7d093d0b4720f560076251aed846.JPG

Red Tail Hawk

WGI_0189.JPG.496f2ca33df0dacaf7d4d2c4e1db063c.JPG

The clean up crew...Turkey Vultures.WGI_0174.JPG.c65d6511e29d1585d96a81f832868f65.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

trail cam

Cool stuff

ebinmaine

Mr Cardinal having a snack. 

SAM_0260 (2).JPG

• Like 2

AMC RULES

20210508_082123.jpg.d9191bc7f193ff33a96427acf4a3ebbc.jpg