Machria

Another GT-14 won't start, lost!!

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

image.png.7482e263414d052b0b1cebe241091d41.png

No, God sparks can be MILES long, and MILLIONS of volts and amps!  Followed by a very loud BOOOOOM!

THOR (/θɔːr/; from Old Norse: Þórr) is a hammer-wielding god associated with lightning, thunder, storms, sacred groves and trees, strength, the protection of mankind and also hallowing and fertility. 

ebinmaine

Sounds excellent. 

I hit subscribe on YT. 

Can't get notifications though because your settings are YouTube's idea of "kid friendly". 

That idle does sound a tad low. 

Should be set to 1200/1300 RPM. 

• Like 1

sparkie333
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Sounds excellent. 

Let me ask a question with the tank setting up high----could he not run his line stright to the carb. and this would tell him if the pump was working or not-- if runs with direct to tank to carb. ---would be something else would it not.----I have run them on the pallet bolted down and they would run just with the tank connected to the carb. Just be safe and make sure all things are tied down. Good Luck.

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, sparkie333 said:

Let me ask a question with the tank setting up high----could he not run his line stright to the carb. and this would tell him if the pump was working or not-- if runs with direct to tank to carb. ---would be something else would it not.----.

That would be a usable diagnostic. 

• Like 1

Machria
10 hours ago, Tuneup said:

Congrats - grab more than one beer on this one and Great Sound! I think that only new or properly rebuilt carbs can have her idle so low. You might want to raise it a little for best lubrication. Same here with wood hauling - bought a cheap log splitter at Tractor Supply and have been going back and forth with the 516H. Good times. Now if this pollen would get done turning the yard yellow-green, all would be right with the world. Rain is in Alabam and only hours away.

I actually did raise it a bit after shooting that video... ;)    I don't have a tach I can use to set properly to 1200 per the manual though, just going by sound and what I remember it used to do. 

• Like 2

Machria
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Sounds excellent. 

I hit subscribe on YT. 

Can't get notifications though because your settings are YouTube's idea of "kid friendly". 

That idle does sound a tad low. 

Should be set to 1200/1300 RPM. 

Ditto on above.....   and I wish I had a tach I could set the 1200 properly.  I had bought one of those $20 digital tachs/hour meter on Amazon a couple years ago that just wraps around the the plug wire, it was useless.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Machria said:

Ditto on above.....   and I wish I had a tach I could set the 1200 properly.  I had bought one of those $20 digital tachs/hour meter on Amazon a couple years ago that just wraps around the the plug wire, it was useless.

I got one that comes with its own "stick-on"  white/silver tape that the tachometer reads. 

It'll read a shaft or anything rotating down to 1/2" diameter. 

• Like 1

Machria

I still need to get my carb adjusted properly, it's "ok", but definitely not right.  A bit of missing and backfiring, and now idling to high...  can't seem to get it right.  The manual talks about 2 different carbs, a Kohler carb, and a Walbro carb, my carb guy said I have the Kohler carb.  The adjustment instructions in the manual tells you how to do both, but only pictures the walbro carb to go with the adjustment description.  Here is a pic of my carb, and what I think is the correct screws.  Just to be sure, do I have this correct?   

And, the idle speed screw, looks to work by simply hitting a small piece of metal sticking up, screwing it in, pushes it out which pushes the throttle open a bit and vice versa.  That is all it is doing for idle speed right?

The other thing is, I kinda screwed up the choke cable.  I bent it trying to get it off, and now it doesn't really work to well opening and closing the choke.  I wonder if there is a better way to attach the end of the wire/cable, to the choke "yoke" (or whatever it is called).  It has a hole in it, I'm wondering if I can put a small bolt thru the hole, and attach the cable to the screw with a small loop at the end of the cable, instead of trying to get a proper bend to go thru the hole and stay there/work properly??

pfrederi

Your assessment of idle speed is correct.  Just an adjustable stop.

carb1.JPG

carb 2.JPG

• Like 1

Machria

Thanks Paul, I did not see those two pages in the manual ....  I wonder if I have a different manual.

Anyway, went out late this afternoon, and now it won't start again.  Ran for 6 hours Sunday without a problem, shut it down a few times, restarted right up.... (of course it was hot though).  Today, it coughed a few times, but no start.   Krykeeeee!   I wish somebody was down here on long Island that knows there way around this thing better than I do.  I'm useless!  ;-)

• Sad 1

squonk

How old is the non ethanol gas? If it has gotten stale it could be very hard to start.. And even though the carb was rebuilt, doesn't mean junk hasn't gotten back in it.

953 nut
17 minutes ago, Machria said:

Ran for 6 hours Sunday without a problem, shut it down a few times, restarted right up.... (of course it was hot though).  Today, it coughed a few times, but no start.

Is the fuel level in the tank low? Fuel pumps tend to have a hard time picking up suction with a low fuel level.

Handy Don
On 4/10/2021 at 4:20 PM, ebinmaine said:

I got one that comes with its own "stick-on"  white/silver tape that the tachometer reads. 

It'll read a shaft or anything rotating down to 1/2" diameter. 

There are even apps for your smartphone that can do the optical tachometer (white bit of tape on the spinning pulley) with a bit of futzing around. I was skeptical but after getting it to work on a fluorescent lamp and a lawn mower, I was a convert.

• Like 2

Machria
On 4/13/2021 at 6:38 PM, squonk said:

How old is the non ethanol gas? If it has gotten stale it could be very hard to start.. And even though the carb was rebuilt, doesn't mean junk hasn't gotten back in it.

It's about 8 months old, and has stabilizer in it.  It's fine, stored air-tight, in a spotless clean container.  I've been running it in lots of stuff (chainsaws, trimmers...) n0ot to mention it ran fine in the tractor 2 days before.  It's definitely not the gas.

On 4/13/2021 at 6:47 PM, 953 nut said:

Is the fuel level in the tank low? Fuel pumps tend to have a hard time picking up suction with a low fuel level.

Understood, but it's about 1/3 to 1/2 full.  I don't think that is the issue, I have run this thing almost dry in the past without issue.  But I do try and keep a good amount in the tank.

5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

There are even apps for your smartphone that can do the optical tachometer (white bit of tape on the spinning pulley) with a bit of futzing around. I was skeptical but after getting it to work on a fluorescent lamp and a lawn mower, I was a convert.

hmmmm..   I will have to check that out..... but first I have to get it running again...   almost ready to give up!   [shaking head here]

pfrederi

Lets do basics... Does it fire if you spray carb cleaner into the air intake and then crank]k it???