Volant1006

Pain in the Deck

Volant1006

So the WheelHorse 312-8 (1988) didn't seam to be cutting all that well at the end of last season.  Was leaving streaks in the lawn sometimes I had to go over them 3 times.  I replaced all the blades and that didn't make much difference. My deck I believe was from an older tractor.  The deck looks to be a Rotary 36in SD 1972 5-0720-7.  When I took the top cover off the deck I notices there was big broken spring in there.  Does anyone know where this spring should be or how I would go about getting a replacement?  Could it be the culprit of my uneven cuts?  I was also going to replace the belt, anyone happen to know the size/part number of that?  I was able to get some schematics for a user on the site gwest_ca but I can't quite make out the part numbers.  In the schematic it looks like there could be a spring all the way at the back of the deck (side with 2 wheels).  Any feedback is greatly appreciated.  

IMG_4476.JPG

IMG_5344.JPG

IMG_5345.JPG

Volant1006

ScreenHunter 06.png

IMG_5343.JPG

IMG_5346.JPG

The Tuul Crib

That would be the tensioner spring that keeps the deck belt in check.

Ed Kennell

One end of the spring hooks on the pin on the end of the bent bar. The other end hooks on one of the bolts holding the guide.  Use the one with the double nut.      It is easier to hook the spring if you unhook the belt from the left pulley.      Then push the idler pulley to the right streching the spring. THen roll the belt on to the left pulley.    

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Did you download the pdf file or trying to use the poor screen shot?

Belts are listed if you click on the fuzzy picture in the link and you can download the pdf from there also.

Another

https://www.partstree.com/models/5-0720-toro-36-side-discharge-mower-deck-1972/parts-list-for-rotary-mower-0/

Garry

Volant1006

You the man!  Yea when I downloaded I only got the fuzzy screenshot.  Clicked and got the PDF, thanks.  Can read all the part numbers now, awesome!

Looks like I need:

#32 6651 SPRING *R 1

#33 33 8411 V-BELT 1

I'll work on trying to order those parts then double back when I try to install them.  Hopefully it makes sense when I have everything in front of me

roadapples

Take a picture before you remove the belt..:handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

You should check the idler/tensioner pulley for damage.   Without the spring in place, the pulley probably was rubbing the slide block bolts and could have damaged the lower flange on the pulley.

May be it just needs any burrs or sharp edges removed.

• Excellent 1

ohiofarmer

Dust and dirt has a way of working its way under the tension bar that slides on those little Delrin pads. what i do is polish the bottom of the tension rod and cut a piece of formica to contact the entire bottom surface. i put waterproof grease between to make a seal and it seems to last an entire season if not more. The tension bar moves more easily and the belts seem to last longer. If the mower hits an obstacle, the blades stop more easily and that can save them in rough environments.

So there are trade-offs, but it all depends where and how you mow

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@ohiofarmer  agree with you on the improvement slide detail , its that type of maintenance that helps these decks work so much easier and smoother.  regularly pick up on a operational function that can be improved , and make the change , like your formica slide help . I use a teflon slide in simular  areas , with no drag to slow things down. pete 

• Like 2

Volant1006

Got the new spring on, replaced the deck belt & we’re back in business.  Deck cutting way better, no more streaks & I don’t have to go over the lawn multiple times.  Thanks again for all the input!

• Excellent 1