seuadr

Onan conversion - points to electronic ignition?

seuadr

so i was looking at my P220 and my N52M and noticed that they appear to have a very similar flywheel. I was under the impression that the trigger for electronic ignitions were on the flywheel, but it looks like this one is mounted on the shaft separately behind the stator?

so that got me thinking - how complicated would it be to switch that n52m over to the more modern ignition on the p220? anyone try anything like that?

lynnmor
9 hours ago, seuadr said:

so i was looking at my P220 and my N52M and noticed that they appear to have a very similar flywheel. I was under the impression that the trigger for electronic ignitions were on the flywheel, but it looks like this one is mounted on the shaft separately behind the stator?

so that got me thinking - how complicated would it be to switch that n52m over to the more modern ignition on the p220? anyone try anything like that?

You might be able to pull it off, but first check the prices of the parts.  You might be better off not being modern because of price, availability and the work needed when repairs are needed in the future.  If you search thru here you will find there are plenty of failures of these modern components.

seuadr
3 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

You might be able to pull it off, but first check the prices of the parts.  You might be better off not being modern because of price, availability and the work needed when repairs are needed in the future.  If you search thru here you will find there are plenty of failures of these modern components.

Fair point. 

Still not sure what to expect when i tear into the onan - it smokes bad, but doesn't run rough or make noise, maybe it just needs some love - probably makes sense to keep it whole unless it looks like a part out

lynnmor
7 minutes ago, seuadr said:

Fair point. 

Still not sure what to expect when i tear into the onan - it smokes bad, but doesn't run rough or make noise, maybe it just needs some love - probably makes sense to keep it whole unless it looks like a part out

Many Onans, and other brands as well, have been run with a compromised air filter.  That dust will destroy the rings and cause considerable wear of the rings and cylinders.  Oil that causes smoke must come by the rings or the valve guides.  Valve guides would need to be real bad on a flat head engine to generate a lot of smoke, so my bet is they aren't the big problem.

• Like 1

seuadr
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

Many Onans, and other brands as well, have been run with a compromised air filter.  That dust will destroy the rings and cause considerable wear of the rings and cylinders.  Oil that causes smoke must come by the rings or the valve guides.  Valve guides would need to be real bad on a flat head engine to generate a lot of smoke, so my bet is they aren't the big problem.

Based on the "wiring modifications" i suspect you may be right. 😆