Virgil Fouts

No spark

Virgil Fouts

I have a 1991 Toro wheel horse that I put a new key switch, fuses and 2 new relays in. It will only spark when the key switch goes from the start to run. Any idea of what might be the problem?

peter lena

how about a grounding check? battery grounding next to battery is a common ground loss , that feeds the dash area. any corrosion on any related wiring points? dielectric grease on wiring connections?  often use alligator clip on to jump possible wire issue areas , and find the cure. you are close, pete

• Like 2

Virgil Fouts

I have cleaned the ones by the battery haven’t checked the main ground cable 

Virgil Fouts

main ground looks good. Can I run a ground directly to the coil and what post does it go on 

gwest_ca

squonk

Did you get the correct switch?

• Like 1

Virgil Fouts

Yes I just turned on the key and the pto switch doesn’t light up when it is engaged but it does light up when I hit the test button could that be the problem 

• Like 1

Virgil Fouts

Ok I can’t figure it out new key switch,fuses,relays and cleaned all the ground connections. Nothing has fixed the problem. I have a new coil but I’m not sure if the wires going to it are right. I have looked at the wiring stuff on line and none show what wires go where. The coil has two posts and was removed at some point but not sure what wires go where. And I did replace the condenser to but hooked it up the way the old one was. Any ideas thanks for the help.

gwest_ca

Just one yellow wire from the tractor harness ignition switch goes to the coil (+) along with the condenser. No ground wire required.

Onan electronic ignition coil wiring.jpg

gwest_ca
On 4/4/2021 at 2:16 PM, Virgil Fouts said:

Yes I just turned on the key and the pto switch doesn’t light up when it is engaged but it does light up when I hit the test button could that be the problem 

I don't think that is your problem.

With the ignition key in START or RUN and the pto OFF you should have constant battery power at the ignition coil (+)

Garry

• Like 1

Virgil Fouts

I’ll have to check that thanks