Sign in to follow this  
Coadster32

New seat cover modifacation

Coadster32

I bought a new seat cover off Flea-bay for my 551. The Decals from Mayhew came in like an old newspaper color. Instead of pure white, I got a color that matched the decals, and used it for the white on the tractor, rims, etc. I bought and mixed up a custom batch of modeling paint to match, and painted the wheel horse letters embossed in the hood. I also will be putting my children's names on the fenders in this same paint.

Problem: The seat cover is pure white. Is there a way I can sort of discolor it to match the old newspaper, or cream color I have on the rest of the tractor?? :omg:

I painted the seat itself the white color, and it looks great. I'd hate to put the padding on if it doesn't jive. I beleive it to be leather.

CasualObserver

Chris, my first suggestion would be to check with the vendor you got the cover from. See if they know of any safe materials to put a light tint to your seat cover. Otherwise, try a local upholstery shop or boat place and see what they say.

Coadster32

Good advice. I see him selling another one now. Thanks Jason.

linen beige

Check out this company. They've been supplying the auto manufacturers and restoration/custom hobby for decades. A good jobber can custom mix colors for you. I've seen their dye used on vinyl tops and it holds up well.

http://www.3m.com/US/auto_marine_aero/Bond...html?hdrBrand=7

64s

Being a painting contractor, I was once asked to match up some new wallpaper to replace a strip of old paper that was ruined. I mixed up some coffee and wiped it across the new paper - it barely took the stain. Next I tried some regular black tea and the paper looked like it was put up at the same time as the rest of the room. The tannin in the tea gave the paper an aged look. Try some on a piece of the seat that can't be seen - it might save you some hassle.