ebinmaine

Got a metal saw

953 nut

My go-to metal saw is a Port-A-Band. 

• Like 4

ebinmaine
Just now, 953 nut said:

One o them is also in the research and possible purchase phase. 

@OldWorkHorse uses a similar thing. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

OldWorkHorse

I was going to buy sumthing just like this for like 100$ at HF few months back when I new I was gonna be cutting sum metal for this build I put it off and they stopped selling them or they have been out of stock for a long time either way they had great reviews might wanna invest in a top notch blade. I love my HF tools but I love my high end blades to go on them!

P.s let me know what u think of this saw cuz I still might need 1. 

Edited by OldWorkHorse
  • Like 2

JAinVA

Eric

I have had one of these for a number of years. From experience the disks listed as long life don't cut well,. Cutting well depends on fracturing of the grit around the rim to expose sharp grains.  With that said I finally upgraded to an Evolution cold cut saw. More expensive but cuts a lot straighter.

• Like 2

Roger R

I have had one for several years.  Invaluable for fabrication projects.

• Like 2

WHX??

We was building Dan's trailer this tool was invaluable. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

A chop saw is in my someday list.

• Like 2

wallfish
9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:thumbs: About 1/2 of the backhoe steel was cut with one. Just happened to see a good deal on CL for a larger Grizzly horizontal band saw so that took over the workload after. It could have been done 100% with the small saw but the big saw allowed for other things to happen while it was cutting so that sped things up quite a bit. But for everyday cutting, the hand saw is my go to tool. Easy fast more portable and no flying sparks. Those chop saws definitely have their place! 

You can usually find a good used one. Mine was bought used in 07, used hard and frequently and still going strong. The cheap POS bought at HF lasted about a week.

:twocents-02cents:

26568_2000x2000.jpg.c730350cf34f8b53f71dec8761a7afd1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Mickwhitt

I use a six inch power hacksaw for my heavy duty cutting of steel sections etc.

I also have an evolution metal saw but I don't like it for steel, I only use it on aluminium. 

I have a plasma cutter for metal plate up to 1/2 inch thick which is really useful as it cuts non ferrous as well. Only uses compressed air so no consumables. 

I did have a large bandsaw but I moved it on as I didn't like it as much as the hacksaw.

Chop saw is one thing I don't have but I can manage without one for most things I need to do.

Mick 

• Like 3

ACman

They also work great  for cutting PVC pipe . Cutting all that pipe on a new construction for plumbing and ventilation by hand is a lot of work :tools-hammerdrill: . Nice clean straight cuts every time .

• Like 3

JoeM

Very useful tool!

I recommend using it outdoors only, makes a lot of sparks and disc dust. Don't use a damaged blade. (don't aaaask)!

I think I had two 2x4 stacked to support longer pieces for cutting. 

• Like 1

OldWorkHorse

I picked this one up for about $129 and just the few times I've used it its paid for itself! Can't imagin how I went this long without one. 

20210318_135940.jpg

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Have seen a few chop saws that the blade/head is not perpendicular to the base the material is clamped to. As the blade comes down it wants to cut left or right of where the cut started making the blade bind. Sometimes this can be adjusted out of them. 

If you can find 3/32" thick blades they require much less power than the 1/8" thick blades that seem to be more common resulting in faster cuts.

I know one fellow that needed a 2nd saw so got a 12". Now he moves used 14" discs to the 12" saw for better mileage.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shynon

I have a large horizontal bansaw, but recently picked up this one really liking it 

20201009_101807.jpg

20210327_104700.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Shynon How does the porta band mount to that stand ?

Shynon
13 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Shynon How does the porta band mount to that stand ?

table slides into motor vent hole and secures with a thumbscrew between the throat plate, quick and easy to remove saw and reinstall

• Thanks 2