WheelhorseBob

First try with HVLP gun.

oliver2-44
On 3/28/2021 at 1:53 PM, squonk said:

You don't want to run low in the gun in the middle of a coat so I mix a little extra.

When I'm finished a bigger spraying project, I take the extra paint I've mixed with hardener and seal it in a small screw top plastic container.  I add a wrap of masking tape to the top of the container as an extra seal.  Then I put it in the garage refrigerator.  I've had paint with hardener stay usable for 2 -3 months doing this.  It's nice to have paint with hardener for touchup after reassembly.  

• Like 1

Lee1977
On 3/28/2021 at 2:34 PM, WheelhorseBob said:

Being a rattle can painter, here are a few things that I’ve noticed. One using quarts of Rustoleum with thinner and hardener will be cheaper than rattle cans. I have maybe 25 bucks in the purple harbor freight spray gun with water separator and regulator. Second, rattle cans just cannot put down a thick layer of paint because the paint is so thin. I suppose it has to be to work in a can. With the HVLP gun and a two to one mix of paint to acetone I can lay down some nice heavy finishing coats. 
Third, no runs, not one! So much easier to do a good job! Fourth, the hardener should make it more durable but time will tell. 

if you have a compressor and plan on painting a tractor or whatever I would suggest trying out one of these purple guns! If I found it easy And I bet you will too!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I painted my truck with one. but the paint was $140 a quart.

SAM-0847.jpg

• Like 1