Gregor

wheel spacers

Rob J.
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Not to be argumentative. I'm looking for a little education here.

What kind of bolts are you using? And how are you installing them?

When I use bolts in a Wheel Horse rear hub I use the exact same 7/16-20 thread that the original outside bolt-in lugs are.

I put them in from the back and torque them to spec, on the strong side.

After that all the motion is done from the front side of the hub.

The bolt head NEVER moves.

Unless I'm missing something.... I don't see how the bolt could spin.  

Eric you’re exactly right. All my horses are done this way and never had an issue and it’s always easier to take the wheels on and off as a result. It’s not permanent and can be easily reversed. 

• Like 1

sjoemie himself

I would even go as far as using some loctite on the studs if you don't want anything moving. If you would ever need to replace them just apply a little heat and away you go :twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

kpinnc

I used the bolts below for my spacers. They were a bit expensive compared to lug nuts, but they work well. I've also used allen tapered cap screws. 3 of my machines have spacers, and I've had no issues with them. 

s-l400 (3).jpg

IMG_20211012_183419646.jpg

IMG_20220111_024829027.jpg

IMG_20211013_000545352.jpg

• Like 2

Rob J.
6 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

I used the bolts below for my spacers. They were a bit expensive compared to lug nuts, but they work well. I've also used allen tapered cap screws. 3 of my machines have spacers, and I've had no issues with them. 

s-l400 (3).jpg

That is the other option, either way is better that the stud lug. 

Rob J.
7 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

s-l400 (3).jpg

I still like the bolts and nuts cause it gives me something to throw the tire on. 

• Excellent 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, Rob J. said:

I still like the bolts and nuts cause it gives me something to throw the tire on. 

Correct, but the spacer has studs for the wheels. 

But bolts and lug nuts to hold the spacer to the hub should work just as well. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

Round and around and around and around we go…

If you’ve converted to studs, it’s hard to go back to lug bolts.  I have a couple done this way and don’t regert it a bit!

• Like 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

If you’ve converted to studs, it’s hard to go back to lug bolts.  I have a couple done this way and don’t regert it a bit!

Agreed sir. Some folks even just put a couple studs per wheel just to simplify wheel swaps. 

After looking like a monkey playing peg puzzle for years, I will never go back to bolts!

• Haha 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, kpinnc said:

After looking like a monkey playing peg puzzle for years, I will never go back to bolts!

Square peg. Round hole.

• Haha 1

Lee1977
On 3/25/2021 at 9:55 PM, 8ntruck said:

Which Jeep?  A CJ may have larger center holes, though, I don't remember what the bolt circle on the CJ is.

Not sure what jeep they fit. They are 5 x 4.5" with a 82..5 mm center. With 1/2" studs.I think haven't measured them they came with the lug nuts.

The Wheel Horce center is I believe 3  3/16 or 80.963 mm

You can get the wheels on with out drilling them but may  have trouble getting them back off.

I bought my 7/16" fine tread bolts from a local bolt store and the 7/16" lug nuts from Ebay.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

You can get the wheels on with out drilling them but may  have trouble getting them back off

Having put my lightweight and heavy loaded wheels on and off a few times I can say from experience that touching the lug holes with a good ½ drill bit is VERY helpful.  

After a few swaps and tightening them I had to drill them again.  

• Like 1

Reza Ebrahimi
On 3/25/2021 at 8:27 PM, OldWorkHorse said:

Ford ranger spacers... drilling rims to .5 inch is pretty much just shaving the edges of the stock hole. 

20210322_165957.jpg

Do you have a link ? I just picked up 24/12/12 John Deere wheel but looks like I need 4” spacer 9145124702 I appreciate 

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Reza Ebrahimi said:

Do you have a link ? I just picked up 24/12/12 John Deere wheel but looks like I need 4” spacer 9145124702 I appreciate 

:text-welcomeconfetti:

I've never seen a 4" spacer but you could use a pair of 2". 

Posting links to sales sites is generally not allowed but here's an item number from fleeeeBay.  

Copy paste and search that on there and it'll lead you to the spacers I've used in the past. 

That's 2 sets of 2".