ebinmaine

Bubble balancer for car tires...?

8ntruck
7 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Dang, something I'll have to ask about when I get my next set of tires! A thousandth here and a thousandth there apparently makes a big difference!

More steel wheel industry trivia:

The match mounting of tires on wheels was started in the early 1980's.  Tires have vastly improved radial force variation since then. In the 80's, the radial force variations were on the order of 20 pounds (working from memory).  The last OEM tire spec I saw (a couple of years ago) set the radial force variation max. around 10 pounds.  The average tire will be much less than that in order to have the required manufacturing process capability.  I've also heard rumors (unconfirmed) about the tires that do not meet the OEM specs being routed into the replacement market instead of being shipped to the assembly plant.  Maybe these are the cheapies at the box stores?

As far as finding the angular location of the low point on a wheel with a .001"offset, that is not possible with the low point gages used in production - the repeatability is not there.  Once you get to .005" of offset and higher, the angular location of the low point can be determined.  The current specification used in wheel manufacture to control the low point is the first harmonic of the radial run out rather than the total indicated run out.  Many, many papers and a couple of books have been written on the subject.

Handy Don
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

Many, many papers and a couple of books have been written on the subject.

In my day I wrote some "down the rabbit hole" papers and articles that were of interest to maybe 10's of people in the field.

Then someone reminded me that if I kept learning more and more about less and less eventually I'd know everything about nothing.

I shifted to more widely applicable interests!

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

8ntruck
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

In my day I wrote some "down the rabbit hole" papers and articles that were of interest to maybe 10's of people in the field.

Then someone reminded me that if I kept learning more and more about less and less eventually I'd know everything about nothing.

Like I started out:  "Steel wheel industry trivia"  :D

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Jack of all trades and master of some...

Handy Don
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Jack of all trades and master of some...

The converse, of course, is knowing less and less about more and more until one knows nothing about everything (a temptation in today's world of constant and instant information)!   :unsure: :o :lol: :huh:

• Excellent 1