jaypad

1973 16 Auto Hydraulic Fluid?

jaypad

Newbie here. After trying to spend some time to learn a few things about this tractor I inherited it seemed to make sense to join this forum. Since I'm new, might as well share a pic of the beast I own too right?

spacer.png

Anyway, on to the topic. My hydraulic fluid has been leaking for some time now, slow leak from one of the hoses. I recently had a new one made and plan to install it this weekend. One thing I'm still stumped on is what hydraulic fluid i need to purchase to fill the tank back up. The fluid itself was a red color and in my digging I thought i saw something tied to my tractor and saying "HD SAE 10." When I tried searching that online it wasn't like i was given a bunch of options of that exact fluid to purchase. Plus I'm not even 100% sure that's what I need. Figured someone here might have better knowledge of this and be able to steer me toward the product I should purchase to refill my hydraulic fluid.

Charbs152

If its red, its ATF....

WH also recommended 30W motor oil, many here myself included use mobil1 10w-30...

you cannot mix engine oil and ATF though so stick with the ATF

Edited by Charbs152
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: If the fluid is red or pink, it has automatic transmission fluid.      Some  owners converted their Sundstrand Hydros to SAE 10W30 motor oil.    Both have proven to work equally well.      The two fluids must never be mixed and care must be taken to ensure complete removal before changing to a different fluid.  I would not switch.

The 16auto is a beast of a snow remover......thanks for posting the pic.

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

I didn't realize the 16 hydro came with an electric PTO.    Can anyone verify these were factory installed or owner conversion?

jaypad

Appreciate the quick responses. Anyone care to dumb it down even further for me? ha. Like does that mean i can just get any ATF fluid or is there a specific kind i should be looking for?

16 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

The 16auto is a beast of a snow remover......thanks for posting the pic.

And yes, people were shocked when i showed them how well it tosses snow. It's pretty damn great. Last year i was disappointed when i attached the blower and didn't use it once. This year we at least got some snow worthy of firing up the mower a few times.

• Like 1

Lee1977
16 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I didn't realize the 16 hydro came with an electric PTO.    Can anyone verify these were factory installed or owner conversion?

I look up on Partstree part list 1973 16 HP (1-0440) it shows both Electric and Manuel PTOs. 

• Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

Check with Napa. They have the fluid that you need is called Dex Merc . The filter will be a Wix 51410, should take somewheres around 5 quarts

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎:rs:

Edited by The Tuul Crib
  • Like 2

Charbs152
7 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Check with Napa. They have the fluid that you need is called Dex Merc . The filter will be a Wix 51410, should take somewheres around 5 quarts

or a napa 1410 :) (same filters)

• Like 2

jaypad
10 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Perfect! Super helpful, will check it out.

You would think growing up surrounded by farms and having land I would've learned more about basic stuff like this but I'm so damn clueless. I was so proud when i bought a mower deck for this thing (previous owners i guess only used it for snow) and successfully installed it. That first time mowing with it felt so damn good, haha.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

We all here love our old Iron and wouldn't have it any other way! There's lots of helpful folks here so don't be afraid to ask questions! :D

• Like 1

Lee1977
1 hour ago, jaypad said:

Perfect! Super helpful, will check it out.

You would think growing up surrounded by farms and having land I would've learned more about basic stuff like this but I'm so damn clueless. I was so proud when i bought a mower deck for this thing (previous owners i guess only used it for snow) and successfully installed it. That first time mowing with it felt so damn good, haha.

Have you started looking for your second Wheel Horse.

squonk

Yes the 16 Auto did come with either or on the PTO. I think electric was an option. My 76 C-160 even has the label on the dash for the electric. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jaypad
8 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Have you started looking for your second Wheel Horse.

Ha, I have not. I was pressured early on to get rid of it (the tractor basically came with the house I bought) because of how old it was, didn't run at the time (although it really only needed a new battery) and since it was only setup to throw snow. Now with the mower deck I got it's more useful year round and idk, something kind've fun about it. I'd hate to get rid of it.

• Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Lee1977
2 minutes ago, jaypad said:

Ha, I have not. I was pressured early on to get rid of it (the tractor basically came with the house I bought) because of how old it was, didn't run at the time (although it really only needed a new battery) and since it was only setup to throw snow. Now with the mower deck I got it's more useful year round and idk, something kind've fun about it. I'd hate to get rid of it.

They don't make Garden Tractor like it any more. I have three and they are staying here as long as I'm here.

roadapples
11 minutes ago, jaypad said:

I'd hang on to this. Won't find anything in the big box stores that will last 48+ years...

Lee types faster than me...

Edited by roadapples

jaypad

It certainly is bonkers how well it seems to run for as old as it is. When I first started researching it i was blown away at the year.

squonk

I was out plowing snow with my 953 this winter. My retired Engineer neighbor was out blowing snow with his brandie new $2000++++ Simplicity snow blower. ( It has been sent back to the shop 4 times and the last time he said I want my money back! ) :) He comes over to me and asks "What year is that" and I reply "63". He just rolled his eyes, shook his head and walked back to his snow blower that he was pissed at! :hilarious:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

rjg854
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Ed, my 16 Auto has the electric PTO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

:WRS: @jaypad

I've got a 1973 16 Auto that's makes for a great snow thrower. I use my 1976 c160 for a snow plow, you can't beat that 16 horse engine. :banana-dreads:

• Like 4

jaypad

Hopefully last question. Once I put the new fluid in do I need to do anything as far as bleeding air or should I just be able to fire it up and it will work?

rjg854

Nothing else you need to do other than once you've run it for a while check your levels

jaypad

It works! Back in business, awesome. Thank you all for your help. Still noticing some small leaks from some other areas now, save that fun for another day.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

killroy

i have a 1973 16 auto with electric pto and the sticker under the seat says to use atf type a witch I'm pretty sure has changed over the years to dextron atf ..... were did you get your line made ? i need all 4 lines for mine .

jaypad
9 minutes ago, killroy said:

i have a 1973 16 auto with electric pto and the sticker under the seat says to use atf type a witch I'm pretty sure has changed over the years to dextron atf ..... were did you get your line made ? i need all 4 lines for mine .

I had a local place make one for me, I'm near Reading, PA. https://www.fishersrental.com/