Brockport Bill

low hours poorly maintained, versus high hours well maintained

Brockport Bill

I know everyone for their car would logically focus on how many miles accumulated over the years, or for their WH how many hours ??? -- I frequently see on the forum comments with focus on "low hours" -- but I also see focus on if buying "used " to be mindful of how was it maintained - so not to start a debate --- but which would most people prefer to own or buy  -- a high hour, well cared for WH  -- or a low hour that's not been given routine TLC -- which begs the question -- which would an owner prefer to have in their yard? My 1989, 312-8 is not show room appearance but in decent condition for 32 yrs of serious use ( mowing, plowing, tiller, fall leaves, etc) and it treats me well -- my Dad taught me the same commandment most of you know -- " A tool will take care of you as well as you take care of it" So.... high hours well maintained - or low hours and not so?

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

Stepney

Gramps' 1968 Electro with many-thousand hours on it is still performing quite well. Wasn't kept up the best but I never hesitate to use it, original hydro hoses and all. Gramps was a toolmaker and quite the machinist, if/when things failed they were generally replaced with better than new components. 

Had a pretty worn looking 1076 a few years ago that was meticulously maintained with a log book of every little thing.. a tight, mostly smooth working rig for an early hydro.

..Had a 270 hour 1990's 312 last fall, looked like scrap metal, poor steering, motion linkage was totally worn out and quite hard to drive.

Apples to oranges I suppose, 30 years apart build date. But that 312 was no happy rig despite the low hours. The Magnum did run great though. Really needed a total restoration.

Seems the later tires don't hold up either..

I used to mess around with the 1990's Craftsman II lawn tractors, 5 speed, flathead Briggs 11hp, boxy silver hood.

You could always read an owner with one of those, I had some of the absolute worst machines with nice shiny paint, and just as many rusted out wheezing junkers that still worked just as smooth as new. 

Yeah I'd say the owner makes a difference.. 

• Like 4

Tach-a-matic

Define "poorly maintained" and "well maintained". 

And "low" and "high" hours

Edited by Tach-a-matic

CB520HC

Personally I’d go with higher hours and very well cared for but then again I’m mechanically inclined and for the right price don’t mind digging into a project low hours poorly maintained imo is worse 

• Like 4

cschannuth

Give me well taken care of every time. My 2014 F-150 has 287,000 miles and still runs, drives, and looks like new. I’m very picky and I wouldn’t trade it for an almost new, low mileage truck that someone else “broke” in. I’ve done nothing to this truck but oil changes, tires, one battery, one set of new brakes, one set of plugs, and one water pump. 07BB940F-8B42-40C7-8597-CAFC2B5C6AC3.jpeg.2dda1bad4aff759b7adbac78bad636c4.jpeg

Same thing with Dad’s 78 C-161 with the twin Briggs. It pushed snow and mowed his 1 acre, hilly yard since 1979 and is still all original with nothing more than regular maintenance, a metal seat pan, and a few batteries over the years.  Now it’s my ground engaging implement tractor and still going strong. 1F2029D4-BB26-4380-BFEB-86F3FCAE7662.jpeg.12e9ab05e3b58da9fb4fa2e23b76d4bb.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Heart 3

Brockport Bill

that's a handsome looking 161

• Thanks 1

Brockport Bill

and yes  - - a sweet looking ride in that shinny Ford

• Thanks 1

Brockport Bill
3 hours ago, Tach-a-matic said:

Define "poorly maintained" and "well maintained". 

And "low" and "high" hours

not trying to be empirical -- just generic norms

JoeM

My brother had a high end detail business and he always said; adult driven and maintained.  He could tell just walking up to a car or truck pretty much what the deal was going to be. 

He said don't get fooled by shiney. You got to look at the overall condition, rub the tires, look at the disc brakes for hot spots, and look for the waves in the sides. Beware of the wet look pictures on the web sites.

I guess the same is true with tractors. Adult driven and maintained. My first wheel horse was a B100A. Real nice machine picked up used. When the kids got older and started to mow it got some bumps but it was maintained. I was never one to stop someone from learning in fear of messing up so the machine took some bumps. We had it 30 years in the family, one motor swap, one deck swap, and one new axle / hub. No hour meter, it had to have close to 2500 hours on it. Was still running strong when retired. One note, we cut an acre of hill side with the machine and it was in the govenor all the time. 

I picked up an old C120 with a broken rod a few years back on the cheap. I noticed when picking up the machine a teenager lurking in the background, kind of sheepish. Loaded it up and went home. The deck was fairly new and that was the reason for buying. The deck had a slight bend on the discharge front leading edge. It was hit so bad the spindle area was cracked. I could not see that until I removed the deck and was cleaning it up. The guy told me they used it at a hunting camp. Figured the kid ran her low on oil and threw a rod and somewhere, along the line, they hit a stump. 

I am suspicious when I go to look at one and it is warmed up.  I think you can tell alot by a cold start. Looking at the the linkage on the carb and throttle shaft tells the tale also.

Oil should be not super clean and not gritty or contaminated by water.  

You can pretty much tell from a tractors surroundings how it was taken care of.

Not drove hard and put away wet.

Hour meters are best used to dictate service intervals and not overall equipment life. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 6

squonk

I go by age more than anything. The Blackhoods and 300 series and up don't like to be left out side for long. Always find them rotted. While the pre 80's tractors seem to be fairly stout even with being worked longer and harder. With the ease of replacing the wear items like engines, transmissions and steering components, I go for the oldies

• Like 4

rmaynard

My vote is for the "high hours well maintained". 

• Like 3

JoeM
52 minutes ago, squonk said:

The Blackhoods and 300 series and up don't like to be left out side for long. Always find them rotted

I agree, there was a big difference in the metal quality and thickness around 1980. Powder coat is good until you get moisture under it then it turns to poop. I'm not sure but think that started around the same time too.

Ed Kennell

No one would want this 77 year old machine.      Very high mileage,  poorly maintained, and spent most of it's life outdoors.   :scratchead:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

rmaynard
15 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

No one would want this 77 year old machine.      Very high mileage,  poorly maintained, and spent most of it's life outdoors.   :scratchead:

But at least you are vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Only a couple of years newer but I have rebuilt suspension, headlights and exhaust.  My compression tests came back good.  Been running way too rich and have carbon buildup, but power is still good.  Still need my second dose of snake oil.

• Haha 4

peter lena

BROCKPORT BILL, being a maintenance nut , I favor  staying after it , not so much on the trailer queen look  , but clean and solid in every area . lack of any service and neglect will destroy any tractor. my original 82 -c 85 coming on 40 years , has many hours on it , but was always kept in a shed , and regularly serviced and upgraded. just was out on a road ride , from the junk i have seen , its neglect that kills them . steadily brought all 3 of my horses up to the same operational upgrades , wiring , fuel, lubrication. all upgraded electronic ignition , new seats . don't even think about the hours , just jump on anything that acts up , correct it  and probably do the same to the other 2 . they all start and run the same . will not hesitate to redo a nagging issue , does not have to be pristine perfect . but its bombproof reliable , that's what I want , just my own experience , no offence to anyone , pete

• Like 4

Brockport Bill
20 hours ago, JoeM said:

My brother had a high end detail business and he always said; adult driven and maintained.  He could tell just walking up to a car or truck pretty much what the deal was going to be. 

He said don't get fooled by shiney. You got to look at the overall condition, rub the tires, look at the disc brakes for hot spots, and look for the waves in the sides. Beware of the wet look pictures on the web sites.

I guess the same is true with tractors. Adult driven and maintained. My first wheel horse was a B100A. Real nice machine picked up used. When the kids got older and started to mow it got some bumps but it was maintained. I was never one to stop someone from learning in fear of messing up so the machine took some bumps. We had it 30 years in the family, one motor swap, one deck swap, and one new axle / hub. No hour meter, it had to have close to 2500 hours on it. Was still running strong when retired. One note, we cut an acre of hill side with the machine and it was in the govenor all the time. 

I picked up an old C120 with a broken rod a few years back on the cheap. I noticed when picking up the machine a teenager lurking in the background, kind of sheepish. Loaded it up and went home. The deck was fairly new and that was the reason for buying. The deck had a slight bend on the discharge front leading edge. It was hit so bad the spindle area was cracked. I could not see that until I removed the deck and was cleaning it up. The guy told me they used it at a hunting camp. Figured the kid ran her low on oil and threw a rod and somewhere, along the line, they hit a stump. 

I am suspicious when I go to look at one and it is warmed up.  I think you can tell alot by a cold start. Looking at the the linkage on the carb and throttle shaft tells the tale also.

Oil should be not super clean and not gritty or contaminated by water.  

You can pretty much tell from a tractors surroundings how it was taken care of.

Not drove hard and put away wet.

Hour meters are best used to dictate service intervals and not overall equipment life. :twocents-02cents:

• Excellent 1

Brockport Bill

great line

Brockport Bill
12 hours ago, peter lena said:

BROCKPORT BILL, being a maintenance nut , I favor  staying after it , not so much on the trailer queen look  , but clean and solid in every area . lack of any service and neglect will destroy any tractor. my original 82 -c 85 coming on 40 years , has many hours on it , but was always kept in a shed , and regularly serviced and upgraded. just was out on a road ride , from the junk i have seen , its neglect that kills them . steadily brought all 3 of my horses up to the same operational upgrades , wiring , fuel, lubrication. all upgraded electronic ignition , new seats . don't even think about the hours , just jump on anything that acts up , correct it  and probably do the same to the other 2 . they all start and run the same . will not hesitate to redo a nagging issue , does not have to be pristine perfect . but its bombproof reliable , that's what I want , just my own experience , no offence to anyone , pete

Brockport Bill

bombproof reliable .........................

i think i might borrow that saying!!!

• Like 1