ebinmaine

Bearing installation tool?

ebinmaine

I'd like to get a bearing installation tool that I can use for the 8-speed transmissions in particular but obviously other things as well. 

I've seen some with threads like a three jaw puller. I've seen some with correct size aluminum discs which I guess you would hit with a hammer??

What do you use? Where did you get it? What do they cost?

Thanks in advance...

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

What do you use?

The best installation tool I've found for the axle seals is the hub used as a slide hammer!

For other stuff I've generally been able to use a socket from the tool box, but a dedicated tool is of course the more 'correct' way.

I've also successfully used lengths of PVC pipe, but if it's a tight fitting seal, that doesn't always work so well...

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Mickwhitt

I made the bearing tools for my engine on the lathe, it would be a similar job to make a suitable tool for each bearing and seal. 

Pressing them in is best, keeps everything square. I used the quill of my drill press and it did a pretty good job. 

We used to knock large seals into brake hubs on trucks. Just a large punch of the right diameter and practised tapping to get things square. If it went wrong you bust the seal and had to start again. 

Mick 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

The best installation tool I've found for the axle seals is the hub used as a slide hammer!

For other stuff I've generally been able to use a socket from the tool box, but a dedicated tool is of course the more 'correct' way.

I've also successfully used lengths of PVC pipe, but if it's a tight fitting seal, that doesn't always work so well...

Love that hub slide Hammer trick. I've done that myself. I do okay with the seals for the most part. It's the wheel bearing that has given me a couple of arguments in the past. 

10 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

lathe

All the more reason why I need to get one of them

SylvanLakeWH

I’ve used sockets or pvc...

Works, free, usually on hand...

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I’ve used sockets or pvc...

Works, free, usually on hand...

:twocents-twocents:

I've tried the sockets and not had great results. Maybe the set I have is curved a little at the bottom.....?

PVC now. That's a good suggestion. I remember reading that before.

• Like 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I've tried the sockets and not had great results. Maybe the set I have is curved a little at the bottom.....?

PVC now. That's a good suggestion. I remember reading that before.

try an extension through a socket, so you’re tapping the back side of the socket against the seal or bearing.  Freezing said bearing for a couple hours helps to shrink it a tad as well.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
32 minutes ago, pullstart said:

try an extension through a socket, so you’re tapping the back side of the socket against the seal or bearing.  Freezing said bearing for a couple hours helps to shrink it a tad as well.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

@OldWorkHorse

Remember that

• Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
32 minutes ago, pullstart said:

ry an extension through a socket, so you’re tapping the back side of the socket against the seal or bearing.

Now why have I never thought to do that?  Excellent!

• Haha 1

WHX??

I have this set. 

17PCS Bearing Race & Seal Driver Master Tool Set Aluminum Wheel Axle Auto Set | eBay

Wished I woulda got this one tho

Amazon.com: ABN Master Bushing Driver 33-Piece Set – Metric & Standard SAE Bushing, Bearing, Seal Removal & Installation Tool Kit: Automotive

Never 'posed to hammer in bearings ...'specially caged needles. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3

OldWorkHorse
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

@OldWorkHorse

Remember that

I'll buy sum keyboard cleaner lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
34 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Never 'posed to hammer in bearings ...'specially caged needles

How do you use those sets? I thought those were a "tap in"  type setup?

WHX??
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

How do you use those sets? I thought those were a "tap in"  type setup?

They are but you can use them in a press. I just use the disc part in a press. The cheap set does not fit our tranny bearing very well. I think the cheap set is metric? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

That works too although Squonk reamed me a new one cause I wasn't using impact sockets. Really ight tolerance ones like main bearings I use liquid refrigerant to shrink them. 

When you put them in a little schilippen lube goes a long ways. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Never 'posed to hammer in bearings ...'specially caged needles.

:text-yeahthat:

Save the old bearings and make your own press guide. I use an old axle, stack the new bearing and the old one on the axle then line it up and press the bearing into the opening. The arbor on my press is larger than the bearing and the axle shaft keeps everything lined up.

• Like 2

WHX??

I'll fess up here EB I did set the bearings in this project with the hammer in method. Only cause I knew they would set fairly easy and I would not have to use 'Fishes  BFH.  I go by gut feeling with a bit of stupidity thrown in. I'd  be the first one to admit I'm too lazy or stupid to take it to the press.

This kinda  build I'm more worried about the internals than the bearings ......:lol:

20210314_170544.jpg

20210307_161142.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

Shynon

I made these a few years ago, bushing, bearing and seal drivers.  They will set the bearing in correct depth, then use the same one to press the seal in. 

20200617_165532.jpg.0a32fbcf462d6375eeb3032968aa24de.jpg

Edited by Shynon
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Crazyredhorse

I use old valves for seating bearings alot works good with tge old bearing like someone said good center hit.the harleys have a pretty good size to them.

• Like 1