Oldskool

A Horse named Hiram

Oldskool

Heck I might actually get some stuff done today on ole Hiram.

20210422_130530.jpg

• Like 7

Oldskool

Making a bit of headway.

20210422_155722.jpg

20210422_155752.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

Oldskool

My boss gave me a shifting knob. It not only looks cool but the cool factor doesnt stop there. Apparently it was the knob he had in his big rig when he was a roadie. It has been all over. Concerts like Ted Nugent, Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith. I kinda want to put it on Hiram, but I'm unsure if I should.

20210422_162338.jpg

• Like 4
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

My boss gave me a shifting knob. It not only looks cool but the cool factor doesnt stop there. Apparently it was the knob he had in his big rig when he was a roadie. It has been all over. Concerts like Ted Nugent, Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith. I kinda want to put it on Hiram, but I'm unsure if I should.

Did you ask WHY he gave it to you?

What makes you unsure?

• Like 1

Oldskool
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Did you ask WHY he gave it to you?

What makes you unsure?

He said he had no more use for it. It was just sitting in a drawer. He knows I built all kinds of "wachy" stuff as he calls it.

Why am I unsure?  He had it all this time. Now I'd be putting it on a tractor. I dont know, maybe it deserves a better life. But I dont have anything else to put it on. 

• Confused 1

OldWorkHorse

I'd put it on the tractor. Better then back in a drawer.

Edited by OldWorkHorse
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

maybe it deserves a better life

What better life could you possibly dream of than to be set on something that is hand-built with care by a craftsman such as yourself and destined to be used for chores and enjoyed?

Edited by ebinmaine
Correct autocorrect
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Oldskool

True enough. I'll do it.

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

The best you can do.

Your Tractor have it‘s history, this knob have it‘s history, imho that sounds to a perfect match.

👍

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

8ntruck

I'm assuming that your boss drove a semi when he was a roadie?  If so, then the shift knob came off of a tractor - a really big, over the road kind.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

That cup holder... it really fits!  Low range only though... don’t spill’er!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oldskool
24 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I'm assuming that your boss drove a semi when he was a roadie?  If so, then the shift knob came off of a tractor - a really big, over the road kind.

Yes, he did drive a semi.  Neve thought of the "tractor" trailer aspect of it. Your quite right. 

• Like 1

Oldskool
6 minutes ago, pullstart said:

That cup holder... it really fits!  Low range only though... don’t spill’er!

Thanks.

Low range...only till after the 4th cup in that holder  😂🤣

• Haha 3

19richie66

Looks nice! Going to have to wear sunglasses with that one :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

haydendavid380

This is such a cool project. I start drooling every time I see engine turning. 

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, haydendavid380 said:

This is such a cool project. I start drooling every time I see engine turning. 

I drool most of the time.......

• Haha 1

Oldskool

I had some time tonight to get a few things done. The brake drum and parts were put on. The drive pulley, engine pulley,and belt was put on. Along with the brake cover and belt gaurd. The list is getting shorter.

20210423_193936.jpg

20210423_194004.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 5

Oldskool

Tonight after work I started the dreaded wiring. My nemesis if you will. I did get to the point of solenoid activation. It cranks over nicely, and hey  what do ya know  it even has spark. Tomorrow night will be the cig lighter, the kill wire and the charging wire. If I can get my hands on another fuel tank I just might have Hiram up and running by the end of the week.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool

I test fired the ole Briggs tower of power  today. Yup, it ran like snot. I tried some adjustments but not much difference. I pulled the bowl to see just how dirty it was. Well I found someone had it apart at some point. It was as clean as a whistle.  Also found out that particular person probably was the one that broke off the emulsion tube. I did rob one from another carb I had here only to run out of gas. What a day so far? Nope it gets better. I filled the transmission today as well. So while I had the engine running I figured I would test it. Here is were things went REALLY bad. Everything was working great until I tried the Hi/Low range. That shifted back and forth fine, TWICE. Then a clink sound. Now only low range. I'm hoping its something simple. Other then the fact that out it comes and apart again.

20210430_141731.jpg

• Sad 5

ebinmaine

Well. Snot.

• Like 1

Oldskool
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Well. Snot.

Tell me about it. I only had 1 more rear wheel to build and the bodywork and paint on the hood left.

ebinmaine

Hopefully it's something fairly simple.

If you're careful with a wood chisel you might be able to save your split case gasket. If not, let me know and I'll send one up.

• Excellent 1

Oldskool
26 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Hopefully it's something fairly simple.

If you're careful with a wood chisel you might be able to save your split case gasket. If not, let me know and I'll send one up.

I'm hoping where it has never gotten hot the gasket hasnt stuck anywhere. I appreciate the offer on that gasket.  After the seal debacle I ordered another case gasket to have on hand. So I'm set there. I'm thinking the tang broke off the hi/lo. I just got the engine running good now. So I tried the trans again. It not switching over. Everything else works great though.

ebinmaine

I believe you're headed the right way with that thought process.

It would be wicked handy if you could just pop one of those other transmissions apart and swap some forks around. 

• Like 1

Oldskool
Just now, ebinmaine said:

It would be wicked handy if you could just pop one of those other transmissions apart and swap some forks around. 

I have one all apart already. Easy pickens. Now that the engine is purring I'm going to start taking the trans out. I'll crack it open in the morning with fresh eyes.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1