haydendavid380

Wheel & Tire sizes

haydendavid380

I'm looking to get a nice set of ag rears (probably tru-powers) and a set of ribbed fronts. I've dug into the topic previously, but I wanted to get some clarity before I actually click the order button. 

Firstly, I know most of the pre-80s tractors had off white 12" rear wheels. Were they all the same size/offset/ect?

I've picked up a second set so I can keep a pair of turfs to run with chains. The B80 currently has 22" tires on it. When I go to ags I'm looking for something with a tall and skinny look. How tall can I go before I start running into issues? I'm thinking the 23x8.5-12, or can I go taller?

As far as the fronts, they are labeled 6.50" wide but they seem much more narrow

20210315_142008.jpg.6bceca4e951ddde32da9d92107dca198.jpg

Can I get away with the Deestone 4.8-8 tri rib or do I need to go with the Firestone 5 rib in 16x6.5-8?

Lastly, I now have 4 rears and 2 front tires that are 40-50 years old. After I take them off to replace them are they something the that the resto guys would want or am I okay to throw them away?

Edited by haydendavid380
  • Like 1

Lee1977

I'm guessing you have 4" wide x 8" wheels the Deestones in 400 x 8 will work great on those wheels. I have mine on 3" wide x 8" wheels. 

SAM-1305-2.jpg

My guess is that the biggest tires you can put on the rear is 23 x 10.50 x 12 with out making modifications,

The 400 x 8 Deestone tryribs  are $37.00  for two at Greater Cleveland Tire. Mine were $54.00 with shipping.

The Deestone rear tires are shorter in height then other brands in the same size.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

Pullstart

Putt Putt has 4-8.0 and 23x10.5-12 Deestones for reference.  Late 70’s rear wheels... 6 or 7 inches wide.

D3B6858B-48B6-482D-B7F9-1B1713F6B31B.jpeg

gwest_ca

Most tires today do not represent the size molded into the side of them. Looked at Carlisle tires again today for 8" wheels and 16", 18" and 20" were all at least 1" shorter than advertised. Replaced a pair of 18x6.50x8 with the same size and stupidly did not compare before trying to use them. The mower is bolted to the front of a Gravely and the driveshaft is so close to the deck chassis it hits the deck if you go over any slight rise. Need to go to 20" tires to get the height back but don't have room for the common 8" width that is available.

Hi-Run have charts on the sizes and likely other makes do too but often hard to find the charts. These are a bit closer but surprised at the differences on the same size/model of tire and different tread patterns are different again.

https://sutongctr.com/tires/hi-run-su05/

Garry

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

JoeM

This is one of the tire comparison pics out of @WV Hillbilly thread

Nice compare. I think goodyear might be the tallest not shown in the pic but not much more then carlisle

Screenshot_20201112-091114.png.8ebd3df5eb83601ccc15f38b2a29e3a1.png

And if you got deep pockets goodyear makes a nice looking hybrid ag tire. R14T

Goodyear R14T Hybrid Tire

Edited by JoeM
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
9 minutes ago, JoeM said:

This is one of the tire comparison pics out of @WV Hillbilly thread

Nice compare. I think goodyear might be the tallest not shown in the pic but not much more then carlisle

Screenshot_20201112-091114.png.8ebd3df5eb83601ccc15f38b2a29e3a1.png

And if you got deep pockets goodyear makes a nice looking hybrid ag tire. R14T

Goodyear R14T Hybrid Tire

I haven't seen any new GOOD YEAR L&G tires (Terra Grip turf or AG) forsale, I know they were O.E. on Cub Cadet, one of the better gripping turf tires IMO, you have a source or other moniker besides "Terra Grip"? ... Like I mentioned in my thread the OTR is very close to stated size.

• Like 1

JoeM

I’ve seen the hybrid R14T  (8,50’s) on the bay 2 for 285 and a couple other places 

WVHillbilly520H
30 minutes ago, JoeM said:

I’ve seen the hybrid R14T  (8,50’s) on the bay 2 for 285 and a couple other places 

No, not those the old style R1 "Terra Grip" or turfs from GY is what I was asking about. 

Have you seen these...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BKT-TR-315-23X10-50-12-C-6PR/618408452

• Like 2

JoeM

Nice Price, good looking tire!

JoeM

@haydendavid380  With only 8 hp on that rig any taller size up or added weight will eat horse power. i cut a lot of steep hills and can be into the governor with a 20hp. and weighted tires. Both filled and steel weight.

If you are running flat ground no issue. Get the meat!

If your into ag's those BKT tires in 8.50, the billy showed, would be my pick. Nice square edge on the side wall bars.  Reasonable price not to overwhelming on size.

BKT TR-315 23X8.50-12 62$american not to bad!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1