Raider69

5066 vs. 5075 vertical shaft transaxles.

Raider69

OK, any vertical shaft transaxle experts out there? I have a 1970 Commando V-8 which originally had the 5066 3 speed transaxle  but it has been replaced with the 5075 3 speed transaxle pulled form a '71 or '72 CG-7. In the Commando V-8 owner's manual it says the 5066 had limited slip. However before mine fell victim to my 15 year old many years ago it never showed any signs of having limited slip, probably worn out.  I can't find a CG-7 manual to check but the transaxle I pulled from the CG-7 most definitely has limited slip as well. The Commando V-8 has been idle for about 3 years while I searched for a suitable replacement engine. Last night I snagged Briggs 16HP oppose twin to put in it, I had a Briggs 14.5 HP single setting in it but I figured if I was going to have to modify the hood I might as well make it worth the effort so I upped the ante with the twin.

I'm wondering if it would be better to rebuild the original 5066 (provided I can find parts) or just keep the 5075?  The plan for the tractor after the repower is to mount a V-plow on it for opening up sidewalks and breaking a hole through the pile of crust at the end of the driveway from the state plows so I can then chip away at it with my Raider 9 and 42" dozer blade. On more than one occasion I wasn't able to get the end of the driveway and "upstream" shoulder cleared before the state plows came and they plowed me in so bad I couldn't break through with a dozer blade or snow thrower. I'm thinking the V-plow would at least break an opening though I could then open up with the dozer blade or thrower.  In nice weather I'd use it as a backup mower in case my other would break down.

P1010013.JPG.a4272150dd674ee759146f3fc3bba574.JPG158505338_261651915499667_8239713474058665248_o.jpg.569f12566c7876d4ee5d2fa9bb5e9971.jpg

This is after several hours of trying to get through with my B-100 with the dozer blade AND digging by hand, I finally had to get a full size tractor with a loader to dig it out. It's all hard packed snow from the state plows. To give you some idea how deep that pile is I'm 6' 1-1/2" and my driveway drops off quite a bit about 6 feet in front of the car so I'm standing on 12-18" of snow in the picture. Maybe my "drift buster" wouldn't be able to get through something like that either but I'll sure have more fun trying than I did that day LOL.

180097_143698479023195_100001491306181_267542_3162547_n.jpg.e68e1213659c1dda6969cb3f6f66a9f8.jpg

Edited by Raider69
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

Here is a manual that show the breakdown of the 5066 transmission.  Do you have any idea what is wrong with your 5066??  Have you opened this up yet??  I have not been in one of these, but I see they have some parts in common with the Wheel Horse 2 piece horizontal shaft transmissions.

deleted this link

gwest_ca

Raider69
On 3/13/2021 at 11:43 AM, stevasaurus said:

Here is a manual that show the breakdown of the 5066 transmission.  Do you have any idea what is wrong with your 5066??  Have you opened this up yet??  I have not been in one of these, but I see they have some parts in common with the Wheel Horse 2 piece horizontal shaft transmissions.

file:///C:/Users/steva/Downloads/Tractor%201969%20Commando%20V8%201-4841%20IPL.pdf

That looks like a link to a file on your C drive, I can't access it.

I haven't opened it up but there is a shaft in the center of the trans with a seal in the bottom of the case. That seal pushed put while my kid was mowing with it and dumped gear lube all over his grandmother's driveway. I loaded it on the trailer, brought it home swapped the trans for the one out of the CG-7 and shoved it in a corner abut 15 years ago. I haven't seen it since but its still there.

stevasaurus

choose the IDPL 3rd file.

• Excellent 1

Raider69
On 3/14/2021 at 3:45 PM, stevasaurus said:

choose the IDPL 3rd file.

Thank you, that will be VERY helpful! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Raider69

Well, the only difference I can see is that the 5066 and 5075 use different axles. The 5066 shows 2 different axles, one with an integral flange and one with a keyed end for a separate hub. The 5075 just shows a straight keyed axle with a separate hub but it's a different number than the 5066 keyed axle. Basically though they are the same trans axle.

stevasaurus

We would appreciate pictures of anything you end up doing with these transmissions...as you can see, we do not have much information for the vertical shaft transmissions.  I happen to have a Foote 4000 here that I get to play with.  It came out of a B-211 Wheel Horse.   I hope to do a thread on it.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1

Raider69
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

We would appreciate pictures of anything you end up doing with these transmissions...as you can see, we do not have much information for the vertical shaft transmissions.  I happen to have a Foote 4000 here that I get to play with.  It came out of a B-211 Wheel Horse.   I hope to do a thread on it.  :orcs-cheers:

I can certainly do that, I also have a '72 CG-8 with the 5074 Hydro, according to the manual it uses the same limited slip differential. I don't plan on opening that one up if I don't have to, it was working when I parked it, but I will be digging into the 5066 for sure.

The CG-8 is getting a Tecumseh 12 HP OVXL120 with a NOS shortblock and will get the mower deck from the Commando V8 after some rust repair and an overhaul. I had an OVXL120 in the Commando V8 and it worked great for many years but developed a sudden oil leak while mowing that I didn't catch in time. :eusa-doh:I'd been trying to find a good used one when I came across the NOS shortblock on Ebay and the price was right. These are almost a straight bolt in replacement for the VH-80 and fit the engine bay like they were made for it but damn are they hard to come by! They're OHV and have an oil pump, it would run circles around the old VH and used less than half as much fuel when mowing my yard.

• Excellent 1