Chestnut

Another Red Tractor

Chestnut

I've been looking for a tractor that's a bit more heavy duty than my 520-H's as the move near my mother in law and her 100+ acre woodlot approaches. Getting quite a bit of pushback from my wife, but that's another story. I've been scanning the usual "used stuff for sale" websites for something 4wd, diesel, about 20-25 horsepower, loader, backhoe, 3 point hitch, and so on. Most of the listings are the usual assortment of Kubota, Deere, and so on. Between the pushback from my wife, lack of $15-25,000 sitting around, and the fact that I'm not actually there yet, haven't even come close to buying. Besides, who wouldn't want something a little more unusual?

That said, does anyone on the forum know anything about Ferrari tractors? There's a 1990 or so Ferrari 4wd, 3 cyl diesel tractor with a FEL and 3 point hitch on Maine Craigslist. Sheet metal is off but the ad says it runs. I can't find any information on vintage Ferrari tractors on the internet. It's intriguing at $4000 asking, but I know the prices and availability of Onan parts can be hard to take. I can't even imagine the price of Ferrari parts.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

3 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

vintage

I must be getting old.  To me, 1990 is almost NEW!  :hide:

• Haha 7

squonk

If it was me, minus the pushback, I would look into Mahindra (they are red) or maybe a grey market tractor like Satoh

• Excellent 1

DennisThornton

What about Iseki?  I know very little about them but I've seen what I thought might be bargains if they held up and parts were available.

WVHillbilly520H
12 minutes ago, squonk said:

If it was me, minus the pushback, I would look into Mahindra (they are red) or maybe a grey market tractor like Satoh

I like that idea, Satoh was actually made by Mitsubishi before changing to their namesake, newer Yanmar are red now, their Solis line is on the cheaper side.   My eMax22G and 520H side by side comparison pics.

20210130_103015_HDR.jpg

20210130_103006_HDR.jpg

20210130_103042_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

roadapples

My brother just bought a Kioti, a lot like a Kubota. 22hp, loader, 3point hitch. Seems really well made. Hasn't  used it much yet...

DennisThornton

Friend bought a Kioti.  He has a dealer nearby.  Been happy with it.

pfrederi

Friend had a new Kioti.  Cab FEL etc...  tranny broke in frat year covered by warranty no problem  right??.  Took 4-5 months to get the part....

• Sad 2

WVHillbilly520H
22 minutes ago, roadapples said:

My brother just bought a Kioti, a lot like a Kubota. 22hp, loader, 3point hitch. Seems really well made. Hasn't  used it much yet...

Got one of them also in WV , Model CK20 then I modified a JD "dozer" blade to fit for snow duty. Same engine in my Mahindra, but this is a bigger frame more capable, both gear drives not Hydro, got it used as shown in first pic $6500 in 2013, just about the same pulling power as the Allis Chalmers B and C we had except an actual 3pt hitch and 540rpm rear PTO as well as the 2000rpm mid PTO and if course FEL and 4x4.

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG4049.jpg

20201108_144355.jpg

• Like 3

seuadr

if you go the grey market route and end up looking at yanmars - here is a list of the ones to avoid due to various reasons:

https://www.hoyetractor.com/modelstoavoid.htm

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Chestnut
5 minutes ago, seuadr said:

a list of the ones to avoid due to various reasons:

https://www.hoyetractor.com/modelstoavoid.htm

The link had good advice more general than just for gray market Yanmars.

"The single key to buying a tractor that will have long lasting parts availability is finding a tractor that either:

1)- Was enormously popular

or

2)- Shares a lot of parts with a popular model or lot of other models."

Pretty sure a Ferrari would meet neither of the two requirements.

If I do go with a bigger tractor it'll have to be a working tractor not a lawn ornament. Doesn't have to be red. Between my mother in law and me, there are two red, one orange, one black, and one yellow and tan. All have their own purpose and generally earn their keep. Storage space is at a premium, though.

ebinmaine

Is 4 x 4 a necessity for you?

Older farm tractors can be had for a decent price. 

Properly weighted and maintained they'd be a good chore worker. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Is 4 x 4 a necessity for you?

Older farm tractors can be had for a decent price. 

Properly weighted and maintained they'd be a good chore worker. 

Ford 3000,  MF 165, IH 460, AC 5040 decent sized utility farm tractors.

• Thanks 1

DennisThornton
23 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Ford 3000,  MF 165, IH 460, AC 5040 decent sized utility farm tractors.

This is the kind of info that is scarce!  I know what a Ford 3000 is, well sort of, but the others?    But what compares?  I wouldn't know!  But now I have an idea.

Thank you!

WVHillbilly520H
21 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

This is the kind of info that is scarce!  I know what a Ford 3000 is, well sort of, but the others?    But what compares?  I wouldn't know!  But now I have an idea.

Thank you!

Basically called an "Utility" farm tractor 30-60 engine/PTO HP...

Screenshot_20210308-205213.png

Screenshot_20210308-205241.png

Screenshot_20210308-205310.png

Screenshot_20210308-205341.png

• Excellent 2

DennisThornton

aWon't quote all those pics but that just took it to a higher bar!  I always wanted a Ford Jubilee!  Lots of 8Ns, parts and info plentiful, but the more I learned the less I wanted an older Ford...  But no way I'd have time to compare to what else was competition.  Still don't know about parts and info....   Since those times I've moved on to a CUT but the old desire for a Jubilee remains.  But I'll get over it....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

Had a chance to pick this one up but I waited too long!

A8A1383F-700B-4547-93F3-8C0C5BA0B0FA.png

• Like 1