Docmason

312-8

Docmason

Am new to group and don’t know if I am doing this right but will try. 3112k801 10571 is under the seat. Would like to change drive belt. I think the replacement belt Toro#7473. From what I understand you must remove both the seat and footrest to access everything. Then depress clutch to get slack and remove from front pulley. Loosen clutch pulley to remove. Any thoughts, is this correct? Any links on videos to watch? One more thing, buy these numbers would anyone know the year? I think it’s around 1990. Thank you for your help

• Like 3

Handy Don

Good morning and welcome to the forum. :)

It is usually possible to get the right footrest and the belt cover off without removing the seat and fender, but it is tight.

That said, in the end, having the seat and fender off is not that difficult and it'll make access easier.

Removing the clutch pulley is, again, not strictly necessary but may make it easier. The fit is snug but doable, but care is needed to not cut or damage the new belt being installed. Neither the engine nor transmission pulleys should be loosened or repositioned.

By all means, TAKE PICTURES before you start and as you progress so you have a reference when it has to go back together!

An advantage to removing the "tin" is that it gives you a chance to inspect the "inner workings", clean them up, and re-lubricate the key moving parts.

One of the moderators here can come up with the links to your unit's manuals much quicker than I can (or you can go look in the Manual section yourself). Once you have them, you'll see the procedure for switching the belt (and the correct belt number).

Come back and show us pictures of progress or if you have more questions (or both)!

• Like 1

JCM

Correct.   1990

• Like 1

Handy Don

Given the 1990 confirm, I think these are your manuals:

Lee1977

Those models came with a clutch damper. It is mostly worn out causing the belt to slip if it's still there.. They are expensive and most of us take them off and throw them away. I would also suggest replacing the clutch spring  

It's located on the other side attach to the clutch bracket and the axle housing. . The Toro part number is 108035. 

Edited by Lee1977
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  A 12 horsepower Kohler and an 8 speed transmission, a perfect match to do about anything you ask of it!

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti::wwp:

haydendavid380

You'll have to take the PTO apart in the front to swap belts as well. 

• Like 2

953 nut
8 hours ago, Docmason said:

must remove both the seat  Belt guard and footrest to access everything. Then depress clutch to get slack and remove from front pulley. Loosen clutch pulley to remove.

:WRS:

Like @haydendavid380 said the PTO will need to be removed as well as a belt retainer loop on the engine that will need to be loosened. Take  a close look at the belt routing so you get it back properly and be sure the foot rest isn't too far in or it will catch on the clutch lever.

peter lena

DOCMASON, as recommended by haydendavid380, pulling apart pto  set up , is very easy , and a good opportunity to grease service the inner needle bearing to some fresh hi temp grease , not a lot of grease, but most important is the quiet reliable life it will give you , pete