DennisThornton

Always thought John Deeres were really durable

DennisThornton

00y0y_bdRmlDxEmiWz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg01616_5bCAdZISG4wz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

seuadr

that does seem like a pretty thin frame section, considering.

DennisThornton
5 minutes ago, seuadr said:

that does seem like a pretty thin frame section, considering.

It does look thin but it probably is rather substantial.  Looks like he was pushing snow into the highway as the plow truck passed by!

I'm not sure how to do that?

WHX??

Wow that's bizarre Dennis, one of your tractors? 318 was a very popular model with JD bet they made many of them .... see alot of them on plow fields. Funny the operator didn't see that coming. 

• Like 1

JoeM
4 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Looks like

The one thing you don't know is the history of use.

I seen the neighbor, that borrowed the other neighbors bx, jerking with a chain on some shrubs. The entire front of the machine was bouncing. I ask him what he was doing, and he said, "you can't hurt these things". He doesn't get to use any of my stuff!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

DennisThornton
30 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Wow that's bizarre Dennis, one of your tractors? 318 was a very popular model with JD bet they made many of them .... see alot of them on plow fields. Funny the operator didn't see that coming. 

An auto Craigslist search result.  Never had but always wanted a 300 - 400 series and would still pounce on a bargain.  318s catch my eye due to the front remotes.  I'd buy this one if the price was right but he's still very proud of it!

• Like 1

Handy Don
25 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

An auto Craigslist search result.  Never had but always wanted a 300 - 400 series and would still pounce on a bargain.  318s catch my eye due to the front remotes.  I'd buy this one if the price was right but he's still very proud of it!

The plumbing for those front remotes may have been damaged with the frame break.

Also noting the wallowing out of the mounting hole for the plow frame.

That one was "rode hard and put away wet"

• Like 1

DennisThornton
10 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

The plumbing for those front remotes may have been damaged with the frame break.

Also noting the wallowing out of the mounting hole for the plow frame.

That one was "rode hard and put away wet"

And is still proud of it! 

John Deere 318 with attachments - $1,750
ONAN B43 engine 1450 hours does burn some oil.
30" Hydraulic Tiller, lift only 54" plow/Blade & 46" mower deck.
hydraulic lines/engine and tranny are fine. 
only problem is the front frame attachment as can be seen by the attached pictures. 

Guess they hold their value even when torn up!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

peter lena

dennis, john deer's , were  really durable , that was many years ago , another thing that you refer to is neighbor beating up stuff, with out letting someone bowering anything , I  can size them up by the neglect on their own equipment. basically , would not let someone put out my garbage can , do not understand the mentality , to beat the hell out of anything , and then add neglect to that, pete 

• Like 4

squonk

I had a push mower with a Tecky on it. :rolleyes:  Only used it once every comet sighting for trimming. I let the neighbor lady borrow it because her husband was gone all the time and was an idot. (purposely spelled that way) :) She mowed a little and stopped. Comes over to tell me something fell off. I go over and the carb had fallen off. It looked like a Harley. I put the carb back on. She mows a little more and stops. Next day she's out mowing again then stops for lunch. Comes back out and she can't get it started so she comes over again. I go over and pull the cord. The motor spins around on the deck! :lol: All the bolts that come from the bottom fell out! Yup a Harley!

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

DennisThornton
9 minutes ago, squonk said:

I had a push mower with a Tecky on it. :rolleyes:  Only used it once every comet sighting for trimming. I let the neighbor lady borrow it because her husband was gone all the time and was an idot. (purposely speeled that way) :) She mowed a little and stopped. Comes over to tell me something fell off. I go over and the carb had fallen off. It looked like a Harley. I put the carb back on. She mows a little more and stops. Next day she's out mowing again then stops for lunch. Comes back out and she can't get it started so she comes over again. I go over and pull the cord. The motor spins around on the deck! :lol: All the bolts that come from the bottom fell out! Yup a Harley!

But did it leak oil?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Handy Don
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

And is still proud of it! 

John Deere 318 with attachments - $1,750
ONAN B43 engine 1450 hours does burn some oil.
30" Hydraulic Tiller, lift only 54" plow/Blade & 46" mower deck.
hydraulic lines/engine and tranny are fine. 
only problem is the front frame attachment as can be seen by the attached pictures. 

Guess they hold their value even when torn up!

Yikes! 1450 hours? Just "some" oil? Lotta "intangible" value in that seller's mind.

• Haha 2

Pullstart

I worked with a guy who was very fond of his equipment, took pristine care of it.  Had a JD with a front blower.  It broke in darn near the same spot!  I believe he welded it up and still operates it, about 6-7 years later.

• Like 2

DennisThornton
7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I worked with a guy who was very fond of his equipment, took pristine care of it.  Had a JD with a front blower.  It broke in darn near the same spot!  I believe he welded it up and still operates it, about 6-7 years later.

Interesting! I assumed it was sudden but perhaps not.  I'd like a close up and to see the other side as well.  I'd still like one but my interest is dwindling and not just because of this failure. But, if the right bargain came along... 

Thanks for sharing! 

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

But did it leak oil?

Yes, until it was empty!

• Haha 3

Jeff-C175

image.png.3d3e1dd8d99e6159452577135a0ea302.png

image.png.146f87c2d61088d566c98afd86571964.png   

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Pullstart
19 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

image.png.3d3e1dd8d99e6159452577135a0ea302.png

image.png.146f87c2d61088d566c98afd86571964.png   

Good one!  I bet if the hood was latched more securely, it wouldn’t have broken!

• Haha 4

Maxwell-8

I am staying whit the WH's....

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

squonk

We had a scrapyard nearby that had a mower section. Parts were cheap. There was a 200 series JD hood there and I got it for like 20 bucks. Advertised it for $200. Phone rang off the hook. Lady called in a panic. She just busted the hood on her tractor and had to fix it  before her husband got home! :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Tractorhead

I bet that this crack was not happen from on one single use.

if i took a closer look on the fract, i believe i see some dark spots they be cracked before

and step by step further until that final crack happens.

Mostly this machines be raped hard because they appears to be more then they are.
That be „ little“ Tractors and they have their use but they no huge Mules.

A result of such rapes can be seen here.

• Like 4

JoeM

Might need the big tube of JB? lol

:ychain:

Does seem like a lot of weight / force in that area, wondering if there were other brackets not installed or some kind of stiffeners?

• Like 2

Handy Don

Das bessere Wort ist "Misshandeln" anstelle von "vergewaltigen" oder "notzüchtigen", denke ich. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Tractorhead
8 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Das bessere Wort ist "Misshandeln" anstelle von "vergewaltigen" oder "notzüchtigen", denke ich. :)

You‘re right, but the result is the same 😉

Darb1964

Looks! Like to me the bottom was cracked for some time and the top looks fresh. Probably has something that he has been hitting for years that puts stress in that spot. I have noticed people think John Deer is the standard in quality, that may have been the case years ago. The 300 model I think were good, I see quite a few for sale, they seem over priced most of the time. People seem to be willing to pay more for them, I've never had much interest in them,  over priced for what you get. they have a great following, a good friend has one and he likes it, not sure the model, it's about seven years old, twenty some horse with a Kawasaki motor. He cuts two acres And has had good luck with it, the local dealer has a good reputation. That seems a lot with that many hours, and if he didn't notice that crack or just kept running it until it broke, I would be thinking there is other problems just waiting to rear their ugly heads. Unless you could get it cheap I would keep looking, lots out there.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
54 minutes ago, Darb1964 said:

Looks! Like to me the bottom was cracked for some time and the top looks fresh. Probably has something that he has been hitting for years that puts stress in that spot. I have noticed people think John Deer is the standard in quality, that may have been the case years ago. The 300 model I think were good, I see quite a few for sale, they seem over priced most of the time. People seem to be willing to pay more for them, I've never had much interest in them,  over priced for what you get. they have a great following, a good friend has one and he likes it, not sure the model, it's about seven years old, twenty some horse with a Kawasaki motor. He cuts two acres And has had good luck with it, the local dealer has a good reputation. That seems a lot with that many hours, and if he didn't notice that crack or just kept running it until it broke, I would be thinking there is other problems just waiting to rear their ugly heads. Unless you could get it cheap I would keep looking, lots out there.

I'm convinced that the 300 and 400 series were solid tractors and they still hold a pretty good price tag.  PS and often hydraulics and 3 point hitches help that pricing.  I think Wheel Horses are undervalued, certainly compared to JDs.  I'm sure that either this 318 was abused over time or got hit by a truck.  Never seen a JD failure like that and that alone wouldn't put me off buying one.  I thought I'd bought a 300 but the owner backed out on me...  I really don't need one but I don't need all that I got now either.

• Like 1